How much better would a PC be, compared to my laptop?

Cloude

Hi um, basically I'm on a HP Pavillion notebook with a Radeon HD 8670m graphics and i5-4200u CPU (and 8GB RAM). I was looking through online lists of good budget PC builds and I was quite certain for a while that a PC would run at a better performance than my laptop.

I am planning on getting a PC build with the AMD-6300 CPU and Radeon r9 260x GPU. I'm sorry if this is a bit newbie of an answer but I have to assure myself that the cost was worth the increase of performance. My question is how much better will the actual gaming performance be? My current laptop system overheats on playing Portal 2 on normal settings but works for League on high settings at about constant 80 fps. I would love to hear and comprehend the increase in performance with this new set-up. Thanks.

To add, I'm quite sure I'd be utilising the extra performance; not any of those "high performance minecraft hurrdurr" geeks x.x

Whats your budget? location? do you need an os/peripherals/monitor?

And a desktop will be a lot better. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I did tried both Unless it's a gaming laptop it'll over heat 'cuz GPUs in laptop aren't made to maintain that stress that the game do on the GPU

and IMO Desktops PC are way better than laptops and since you already have a laptop leave it for your work and your desktop for gaming 

Whats your budget? location? do you need an os/peripherals/monitor?

And a desktop will be a lot better. 

500 USD or less? Nope I have decent peripherals etc. Just worrying about the hardware and its performance. Especially so when I couldn't find a comparison between the two GPUs online.

Edits: Location is Singapore, I've heard that RAM prices have gone up tho.

500 USD or less? Nope I have decent peripherals etc. Just worrying about the hardware and its performance. Especially so when I couldn't find a comparison between the two GPUs online.

This would completely trash your laptop in terms of gaming performance. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Motherboard: ASRock H81M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Micro Center) 

Memory: Team Elite Plus 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($54.98 @ OutletPC) 

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($52.99 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270 2GB DirectCU II Video Card  ($139.99 @ NCIX US) 

Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($32.99 @ Micro Center) 

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($41.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Total: $481.92 ($452 after rebates)

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-18 14:19 EST-0500

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

A desktop would be a lot better, especially in gpu intensive games like bf4

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

@All

Looks very promising. Sorry for the "uh yeah PC's better period" topic. Appreciate all of your help. Quite exciting going into PCs, I was stunned that with the 500USD spent on a Laptop, I could get a PC for a much better performance.

This would completely trash your laptop in terms of gaming performance. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Can I ask, why this over the AMD-6300? If I'm not wrong the 6300 has quite a good value with its performance, or is it just slightly out of the budget? Sorry for double post.

Can I ask, why this over the AMD-6300? If I'm not wrong the 6300 has quite a good value with its performance, or is it just slightly out of the budget?

Because it's not any cheaper once you consider that you need a fairly expensive board to run an FX6300. And an i3 will perform virtually the same in gaming as an FX6300 but also give you an upgrade path into an i5/i7 whereas a 6300 would only allow you to go to an 8320, which isn't nearly as big of an upgrade. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler