Total War Rome II tips

Mistersprinkles

The tutorial is a good place to start I hear  :P

In all seriousness trial and error, pick a campaign and have a go, my technique for when I started with Total War, hooked now, not the best Total War game imo, but pretty good.

Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz | Evga GTX 780 Ti SC ACX with backplate | MSI Gaming 9 AC | 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance Pro Silver 2400 MHz | Corsair H105 128GB Crucial MX100 | Toshiba 2TB | Evga 750G2 | Corsair Obsidian 750d | Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 PWM (3x140mm & 3x120mm)

Finally someone who plays! :P If your playing campaign, id agree with Mr. bbrooking18. 

If you're looking to break into multiplayer there are lots of great youtube channels. Here are some of my favourites; 

Heir of Carthage 

Attila the Great 

Total War Zone

THFE Productions

Zaript 

Zaript does quite a few tournament videos, which is quite a different play style to casual play, which would be more Heir of Carthage's style (a personal favourite). Although eh also does campaign play throughs too.

There are plenty more channels out there though. Hope this helped :) and enjoy your game!

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

+1 for THFE Oakley really loves to get strategic most of his vids are PVP but they're great for learning the rock paper scissors aspect of the troop lineups. also his history vids using Rome 2 are epic.

always charge your cavalry at an oblique angle and never head on. use troop abilities sparingly a lot of them come at a penalty of exhaustion

darren total war does a bunch of mod reviews for you to preview.

and Surreal beliefs does a lot of history embedded into his lets plays..... well for the rome campaigns at least.

-snip- 

I do really like the historical side of THFE, Prince of Macedon used to do the odd one like that. 

Those channels seem pretty good, will be checking them out :) 

You can play me, I will school you, guaranteed hahaha

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

You can play me, I will school you, guaranteed hahaha

PM me we'll hook it up and you can explain the game to me.

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

I do really like the historical side of THFE, Prince of Macedon used to do the odd one like that. 

Those channels seem pretty good, will be checking them out :)

if you really like history check out Lindy Beige. he's a brittish archaeologist that's covered a whole lot of ancient weapons which you see in total war games. He's got that monty python dry and unexpected Brit humor as well.

Ive been playing the prologue. Capua has fallen. I can't get my guys to all move together and sometimes I order them to cross the river and some guys go the wrong way. What's going on?

pathing river crossings and bridges are a choke point and likely can only cross in singles.

you can group units and hotbind them to your number buttons you can also lock them into formations that you set them into.
as a novice I recommend just grouping masses of units then picking the formations from the formations drop down menu

and apologies I cant tell you what buttons do the lock etc cuz I have remapped my keybinds and not vanilla

this vid might help

English Archaeologist 

That sounds awesome! Thanks a million for sharing, i look forward to it. English humour is pretty good too :P 

Please link me any tutorials or tips you can folks. The tutorial campaign freezes at the first battle. It just has me doing the battle over and over so I gave up on it. I save capua, then reinforce my army on the big map, then fight, then it just repeats.

Please link me any tutorials or tips you can folks. The tutorial campaign freezes at the first battle. It just has me doing the battle over and over so I gave up on it. I save capua, then reinforce my army on the big map, then fight, then it just repeats.

hmm, iv never heard of that.... perhaps its a video/graphics problem? 

How can it be a video problem if it keeps repeating the same mission over and over?

what exactly are your issues. I've been playing since shogun 1 and rome 1 so I don't know how to explain anything to a new person I can't relate to your situation.

but some random tips

your general unit is very tough but use him sparingly if he dies then the morale debuff you get will be devastating.

hammer anvil strikes. use armored infantry to engage headon then have another troop flank from behind and deal extra damage.

having enemy troops to your flanks puts a big debuff on your morale even if they arent hitting you.

do not spread your lines thin have then at least 4 ranks deep. total war uses a weird collision system when masses meet. you want a deep rank so they can inflict and absorb collisions better.

if at all possible chase down routing enemies at the end of battle so they don't have a chance to have enough numbers to persist. I'm not sure of the exact numbers but any group larger than 20 should be chased down otherwise they wont be completely destroyed and be back the next turn. archers and cavalry will be the only ones fast enough to chase down routing enemies.

never tire out your troops at the beginning by making them run to destinations walk them and instead use the time accelerator thing to speed up game time.

your general unit is very tough but use him sparingly if he dies then the morale debuff you get will be devastating.

*Slow laugh*, you mean that person who dies the instant you charge him into a melee post-Empire? Man I remember the days when a general's bodyguard were the toughest units, run them into a bunch of spearmen? No problemo. And the days when a general could get "the Scarred" title, +8HP, +8 FREAKIN HP. 10 lethal hits to kill him man...

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

~ off topic Q>  are the bugs(siege,tower bugs, etc) fixed? I`m planning to buy it.  :) 

1. None of the tutorials Im watching are helping me I just dont get the fundamentals of the game It has a heavy diplomacy and city building component which I wasnt ready for when I bought it and I cant find a good explanation. The game doesnt explailn itself properly.

I've heard the game is really easy once you get the hang of it, but I'm yet to play, despite being a lover of Roman history.

Hoping Attila the Hun Total War game will be better, given what I've heard about Rome II. Hopefully squeeze in a cheeky sack of Rome in between 410 and 459 :P

1. None of the tutorials Im watching are helping me I just dont get the fundamentals of the game It has a heavy diplomacy and city building component which I wasnt ready for when I bought it and I cant find a good explanation. The game doesnt explailn itself properly.

ahh that. for me its basically the forums I still learn a thing or 2 when I dive deep into it. as for vids. this might help but honestly just dive deep into the forums

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?1992-Strategies-and-Tactics

Didn't know there were campaign guide videos like this! thats pretty cool!