GPU unclocking

I have a GTX 660 which during most games that make use of boost runs at 1254mhz with my best stable overclock. The issue I am having that no matter what overclock I am and set to and even if I turn of adaptive settings I cannot get my GPU to run higher then 524mhz. This happened not long after I removed my GPU to sit it back into my PCI-E slot. Could this be an issue on the Motherboard, GPU or something on the software side of things? My overclocking and monitoring software of choice is MSI afterburner and it does not say that there is any issue with the GPU getting warm. It sits at 35c idle with adaptive off and it hits no more then 50 when GPU usage is high and there is no thermal throttling so I have no idea what is causing this issue. 

I5 4690k, EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4GB, 16GB Corsair Vengence (Blue), Seagate 3TB & Western Digital 500GB HDD's, San Disk Ultra II 120GB SSD, Novatech Gold Series 850w PSU

And now its 324 mhz locked. What the hell is causing this anyone?

I5 4690k, EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4GB, 16GB Corsair Vengence (Blue), Seagate 3TB & Western Digital 500GB HDD's, San Disk Ultra II 120GB SSD, Novatech Gold Series 850w PSU

no clue i dont know what you mean you removed your gpu to "sit it back"

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

I took it out of the PCI-E slot and put it back in incase it was not in the slot properly. Is what I mean by sit it back.