New PSU - Any advices?

SimoNewPC

Hello guys,

6 month ago I have updated my pc with a new mainboard, new cpu, new ram and new ssd.

I decided to keep use the cpu's internal gpu for the moment and my old psu because of the short budget.

Now I would like to buy a gpu and a new psu.

Here is my hardware:

MB: Msi H87I AC

CPU: Intel i5-4440 3.10GHz

Ram: Corsair DDR3 Vengeance LP 16gb

SSD: Samsung 840 Evo

At the moment I am using a six years old Cooler Master Real Power M620 psu but it became noisy and I would like a 0db pc at least when I work with it.

My cpu is 0db yet (I have a noctua heatsink + a noctua low noise fan). The problem is only with the psu and the vga I am going to buy.

I would like some advices from you because I have some ideas but not much experience in this field.

The vga I would like to buy is the ASUS STRIX GTX 970, OC, 4096 MB, GDDR5, 256 bit (I would prefer the gtx 960 but I think it doesn't exist yet).

I've used some online psu calculator and it came out that I don't need much power (it sais 300w/350w but I don't know if that is reliable)

Do you think that a Corsair RM450 could be a right solution for me? Or should I buy a Corsair RM550? Or RM650? Or maybe you know some better and less expensive brands?

Remember that the low noise is fundamental for me.

Thank you all

You never said what your budget is. The best value/quality psu today is the EVGA G2 series. A 750W would more than meet your needs. At that size you would probably never hear the psu at all.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Do you think that a Corsair RM450 could be a right solution for me? Or should I buy a Corsair RM550? Or RM650? Or maybe you know some better and less expensive brands?

Remember that the low noise is fundamental for me.

Any of those Corsair would be a good investment, but I really can't see by the EVGA Supernova G2 750. Although the Corsair units would be quieter (5-10dbA, not much), you can't beat the price/performance of the EVGA. Okay 750 watts may be a bit more than you require atm but it's only around £20 more than the 450/550 units and gives you space for future expansion.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=380

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/SuperNOVA_G2_750/1.html

Windows 7 64-bit : Asus P6X58D-E : OCZ 60GB SSD : 1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 : Intel Quad Core i7-950 4.0GHz OC : Corsair H70 AIO Cooler : Corsair TX650W PSU : 6GB Corsair DDR3-1600 : Asus GTX 770 Nvidia GeForce DirectCU II OC 2GB GDDR5 : BenQ RL2455HM

thanks a lof for your answer! I have not spoken about budget because I am in italy and I think that your prices are much lower than ours. Anyway you can consider a price around 120 dollars for the psu...obviously if the product you suggest is cheaper is better :)

I didn't know evga psu. The thing I like about the corsair is that they have the fan at 0 rpm up to 40% system load. I know that if I buy a 700w or 800w could be better for the future and that's what I thought 6 years ago when I bought the Cooler Master Real Power M620.

But I think that maybe in the future, the energy efficiency will improve the same way has happened for the videocards in the last six years... (I had a gainward gtx 260 which had a power consumption twice the amount of the power consumption the gtx 960 is going to have). Thats why I prefer to not buy a too much powerful psu. Am I wrong?

Although the Corsair units would be quieter (5-10dbA, not much), you can't beat the price/performance of the EVGA

Maybe I can... =D ... here in italy, the Corsair RM750 is cheaper than the EVGA Supernova G2 750...

I am reading that evga has quality components and corsair has not...I don't know what to do... If there was the EVGA Supernova G2 550 or 650 instead of 750 that would be perfect...