Will my modular PSU handle 8pin power connector for Asus GTX 970 Strix

Go to solution Solved by Aniallation,

Hi, I'm waiting for GTA V for PC and I'm looking for replacement for my 660ti if it would not run the game properly.

The Asus's GTX 970 Strix caught my eye, but since it has only 8 pin connector, do I need a PSU that has biffy 8pin rail or something?

Since reference card has 8 + 6 pin, doesn't that mean that just 8pin cable need to deliver more power, and needs to be sturdier?

First of all, don't get the Strix. Get the Gigabyte Gaming G1.

Your PSU is enough to power two 970s and comes with three 6+2s, if you need another one, just use molex adapters.

Hi, I'm waiting for GTA V for PC and I'm looking for replacement for my 660ti if it would not run the game properly.

The Asus's GTX 970 Strix caught my eye, but since it has only 8 pin connector, do I need a PSU that has biffy 8pin rail or something?

Since reference card has 8 + 6 pin, doesn't that mean that just 8pin cable need to deliver more power, and needs to be sturdier?

My current PSU is XFX XXX 650W (P1-650X-XXB9) (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207022)

This part of the post is not that important to me (and may be difficult to understand due to my English skills ;]), as I've never use SLI but...

...it is just my curiosity, the PSU has two 8pin sockets on the back, one is for PCI-E and another for CPU, and PCI-E cable divides into 8pin and 6+2pin.

Does it mean that I can run even a SLI setup using this one cable, or it's more like "I can try but it wouldn't be recommended"?

Since PSU has no other slots labeled as PCI-E, but maybe if it's card like Asus GTX 970 Strix, that already turns 6pin + 8pin setup into just one 8pin, you shouldn't use this PSU for SLI with two those cards?

PSU is SLI rated but I wonder what if there are two cards with 8pin + 6pin connectors.

I have attached picture of rear view of the PSU in case it would be difficult to find it on the web or link expire.

P.S.: I considered to post this thread on GPU section of the forum, but after consideration I guess it fits to PSU more, but tell me if I'm wrong.

post-30712-0-22479600-1416638209_thumb.j

It will work with a single card of course. 

For SLI you would need a separate cable. 

Well if you look... It will support a single card, but for SLI, you need another cable

2cd90b757c1cdeed927bd79abdede099.png

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Use the PCI-E then when you'll go SLI use one of the Peripheral.

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

Dang it, I just noticed that It has CPU 4+4pin and 2x 2+6pin cables pre-attached as it is semi-modular. I haven't seen it since I shove it into the case. So It really is SLI capable then.

post-30712-0-04830500-1416638980_thumb.j

Your PSU is enough to power two 970s and comes with three 6+2s, if you need another one, just use molex adapters.

"Rawr XD"

Why would you recommend G1 over Strix?

I made some research on this, and I found info that G1 has better air cooling solution and power limits are higher what gives better performance.

I also read that G1 has 4 of its memory chips placed at rear side of PCB where is no cooling, does VRAM not need too much cooling so it can be cooled passively?

I made some research on this, and I found info that G1 has better air cooling solution and power limits are higher what gives better performance.

I also read that G1 has 4 of its memory chips placed at rear side of PCB where is no cooling, does VRAM not need too much cooling so it can be cooled passively?

G1 is a beast overclocker being a binned card and all that

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

By binned, do you mean manufacturer select cards that are worth name of G1? Like eliminating silicon lottery or something?

By binned, do you mean manufacturer select cards that are worth name of G1? Like eliminating silicon lottery or something?

Dont worry about it. You wont gain more than a couple FPS anyway. All OCed 970s perform extremely similar.

this

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

Use the quote button to reply to people or they won't get a notification. 

The G1 uses cherry picked chips, which means you will do a LOT better in the silicon lottery compared to other brands. The G1 also has the best air cooling solution, and not only are the power limits higher but the actual VRMs that power the GPU chip are better then any other 970, allowing for higher and more stable overclocking.

Strix is nothing but a bandwagon.

"Rawr XD"