Is the Nvidia Shield Tablet worth getting now?

johnnyTheMac

Hello,

I have been looking for a tablet for a while. I really like the features of the Nvidia Shield Tablet, but I am very apprehensive about pulling the trigger because of some of the negative stuff that I have read about it...i.e. cracked corners, not so great display and bad wifi.

I have read that Nvidia had a second batch, or something to that effect, made, so that the issues from the first batch (mentioned previously) are mostly gone.

Does anyone know this to be true? Is the Shield Tablet worth picking up for strictly entertainment consumption (watching videos from streaming to locally, music, web browsing and occasional gaming)?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

CPU: Intel i7 3770K | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH4 | RAM: 8 GB Blue Ares | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 780 GHz Edition | Case: Corsair C70 Vengeance Arctic White | Storage: 250 GB SSD Corsair Neutron - 128 GB SSD Kingston - 1 TB WD Black | PSU: Corsair 850 watt | Display: 3 x Dell S2340M 23-Inch IPS 

would like to know this aswel, from someone who has one, as i'll be buying one for xmas =) 

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

The initial ones to roll off the assembly line had the issues, but the newer the units got, the issues began to get fixed by Nvidia, but there's no definite point that the new batch came out, or any guarantee that you'll get one of the new ones that had the issue fixed.

"Rawr XD"

I'm actually on my second unit at the moment. I had to RMA the first one when I ran into a boot loop issue but since then I've been fine. I'm enjoing the display so far but I can't comment much on wireless performance specifically for content streaming just yet... The issue I had aside, I use my tablet for alot (including writing this post :D) and I think it's a good bang for the buck although I'm still keeping my eye on it.

Laptop "Blake" Asus N550JK: Intel Core i7-4700HQ, GTX850M, 8GB RAM, 1TB 5400RPM HDD

Tablet: NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet (Wifi)

Speakers: Klipsch Promedia 2.1

Definitely imo... if you're still worried, try getting a Nexus 9.

Mini-ITX Build (unnamed)

Case: SilverStone SG07B-W Motherboard: ASUS P8H61-I CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K GPU: Integrated HD 3000 Cooler: Stock RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x4GB (8GB) DDR3 HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX600 Keyboard: Cheap Dell Keyboard (although has withstood 8 years of use) Mouse: Logitech G300 Headset: Logitech H110 OS: Windows 8.1 (64-bit) 

Phone: HTC One (m7) running ViperOne 8.0.0 (Android 5.0.2 Lollipop)