PC Temperatures

I wasn't sure where to post this, as I'm mentioning multiple parts of my PC.  I hope this sub-forum is okay.

I was playing Skyrim for a few hours, and went to check MSI Afterburner to see how hot my PC was running.  To my surprise, I read that my GPU temperature was around 30 degrees Celsius, and my CPU temperature was around 40 degrees Celsius (my CPU temperature didn't even rise from idle).

I was very surprised to see my CPU and GPU running at such low temperatures after a few hours of gaming.  I mean, sure, my GPU is supposedly optimized for cooling (Asus GTX 970 Strix promoted to be 30% cooler than reference), but every other fan in my computer is stock.  My PC case is an NZXT H440, which hasn't been known for the best air-flow either.

Is it just that Skyrim isn't that demanding of a game, thus my CPU and GPU don't have to work as hard, or maybe that MSI Afterburner is reading the temperatures incorrectly?

Thanks for your guys' help in advance.  

Did you tab out of the game when checking Afterburner or did you have it on another monitor while playing? I ask because if you have good airflow your GPU will cool very fast when it goes near idle.

CPU: 4670K / Cooler: H100i / RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengence Pro 1866MHz / Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 / GPU: MSI TF 780 Gaming Edition / Case: Corsair Vengence C70 / Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo & 2TB Seagate Barracuda / PSU: EVGA SuperNova NEX750G

Did you tab out of the game when checking Afterburner or did you have it on another monitor while playing? I ask because if you have good airflow your GPU will cool very fast when it goes near idle.

I tabbed out to check, but I checked it within seconds.  Does the GPU temperature dramatically change within that short amount of time?  

try to use a different gpu oc software like EVGA software it's free cuz I think you afterburner is not reading correctly but uninstall afterburner first

I5 3570K@ 4.4 - GIGABYTE Z77- Kingston 8G 2400 RAM - MSI GTX980 - HAF-X - 27'' ROG SWIFT + 32'' LG IPS - OCZ 250G SSD + WD 4TB HDD - ASUS XONAR DX -Noctua NH-D14

try to use a different gpu oc software like EVGA software it's free cuz I think you afterburner is not reading correctly but uninstall afterburner first

im pretty sure they are based off the same thing

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

I tabbed out to check, but I checked it within seconds.  Does the GPU temperature dramatically change within that short amount of time?  

Yeah I used to make the same mistake, you'll see a higher temp(especially on the GPU) if you don't alt tab aka stay ingame, use something where you can see the highest temp recorded over a period of time, that'll be the temperature while playing intensive games.

Temps drop really fast the moment you alt tab so it gives a wrong value of temp while gaming.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

My gpu temperature does drop very fast if my room isn't too hot

CPU: 4670K / Cooler: H100i / RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengence Pro 1866MHz / Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 / GPU: MSI TF 780 Gaming Edition / Case: Corsair Vengence C70 / Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo & 2TB Seagate Barracuda / PSU: EVGA SuperNova NEX750G

My gpu temperature does drop very fast if my room isn't too hot

That could be a factor.  My room isn't freezing, but it's starting to get colder over here, it being fall and whatnot.