Rattling in Kraken x61

coldie

So I just ordered my Kraken x61 and assembled it today in my new build. The pump is making this rattling noise that is really annoying and shouldn't be there. But it only makes this rattling noise while below 45~% fan/pump speed. If I go higher than that the rattling goes away.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Can it harm my CPU?

Are you sure the issue is with the pump? I had a rattle with my fan on my corsair h110, never heard of pump rattle. And as long as your temps are fine it cannot possible hurt your cpu.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

at such a low voltage the pump probably isnt hitting the right speeds, sort of how a car sound different at different rpms,

So I just ordered my Kraken x61 and assembled it today in my new build. The pump is making this rattling noise that is really annoying and shouldn't be there. But it only makes this rattling noise while below 45~% fan/pump speed. If I go higher than that the rattling goes away.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Can it harm my CPU?

Are you sure it's the pump? Or one of the fans?

The pump on the X61 is on the block, that mounts to the CPU.

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

I had a similar issue with my X31.  The pump rattling is really bad.  What I had to do was find a sweet spot.  I control my speed through motherboard fan header and Asus Fan Xpert.  I found that if it was too low, or too high, it would rattle.  At around 1500rpm(according to fan xpert) is the setting I use and the rattling stopped.  This is ~75%.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Are you sure it's the pump? Or one of the fans?

The pump on the X61 is on the block, that mounts to the CPU.

Yea, I'm fairly certain its the pump. I unplugged my fans one by one and isolated the sound and its coming from the brick, but only on low pump speeds

Yea, I'm fairly certain its the pump. I unplugged my fans one by one and isolated the sound and its coming from the brick, but only on low pump speeds

You dont want your pump to be at low speeds anyways.  You want it high. Ideally at 100%.  Problem with my X31, is that it was rattling at 80-100%, and 30-50%.  So I have my speed set to ~75% and no rattling, good performance.

For you, its a non-issue as long as it isn't rattling at high speeds.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

You dont want your pump to be at low speeds anyways.  You want it high. Ideally at 100%.  Problem with my X31, is that it was rattling at 80-100%, and 30-50%.  So I have my speed set to ~75% and no rattling, good performance.

For you, its a non-issue as long as it isn't rattling at high speeds.

Hm, the nzxt representative said it could possibly be a defective pump and I should exchange it with amazon for a new one. What is the rattling anyways? Does anyone know what is causing that noise and if it can damage anything

Hm, the nzxt representative said it could possibly be a defective pump and I should exchange it with amazon for a new one. What is the rattling anyways? Does anyone know what is causing that noise and if it can damage anything

No idea.  If it doesn't rattle at high speeds, I don't see the problem - As long as it is performing the way it should.

• 4 months later...
Long story, short answer: avoid the NZXT Kraken X61 (X41/X31).

Also, avoid NZXT in general for any longer warranty period if you are in Europe.

My X60 broke, and NZXT sent me a X61 as replacement - which is great service.

The problem was, that the X61 they sent me had a bad pump on arrival and had too much air inside.

The pump makes noise no matter what and I can only mount it with the rad on top or the pump will run dry immediately.

After one whole month of messages back and forth, NZXT's only offer is for me to FedEx the X61 from the UK to California, on my pocket of course, to then check the item, and see what they can do. That must be by far the most useless suggestion I can imagine. No cooler for weeks and spending half the coolers value of FedEx to the US. After all, it is not my fault that the product they sent me is not working as it should be expected/

Never again.

5950X • Asus B550-I • 32GB GSkill 3800 C14 • 3090FE • Samsung 990 Pro 2TB • Winter One • custom loop