Upgrading gpu

alright_MEATBAGS

So I'm working with a $300 budget, could possible squeeze a little more out (I am a full-time student so money does matter). I currently have a gtx 660 and system specs are listed in my profile. I'm just wondering what would be a good recommendation. I do some work in the unity engine(personal project), visual studio professional, and android sdk(school project). I also game a lot, when time allows. I have done a ton of research and have a good idea of what to get, but I always like input from other techies. Please explain why you would recommend a certain gpu.

For $330 you can get a 970. Check Ebay and sales on Newegg and the like. 

I could be very wrong

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I would also suggest the GTX 970. It is currently the best graphics card in the price range of around $300.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3.3 GHZ GPU: MSI GTX 980 OCV1 4GB RAM: Avexir Core Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 PSU: Cougar SL600 600W Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS ATX LGA2011-3 Case: Rosewill Stryker M Mid Tower Storage: ADATA 240GB SSD, Toshiba 3 TB 7200 RPM HDD

The gtx 970 was an idea but the trouble I have is that when they are in stock they are usually $350, which is pushing my budget.

I am curious about the r9 290 because everyone says that nvidia cards are better for workload situations, but I've never seen any evidence to support this. Not to mention the 4gb of memory would be nice when I go to upgrade to a 1440p monitor( will be a couple of months).

Edit: I guess I am wondering is will the r9 290 offer good performance in workloads or should I just pony up and get a 970. I am looking for serious input (possibly from experience).