Which Is The Best of the Low Profile Heatsinks?

percoplus

I'm moving a system from a tower case into a 4U rack mounted chassis for use as a portable live video streaming studio. Built around ASUS P9X79-E WS server board, i7-4930K processor, NVidia Quadro K4200 GPU. I will most certainly be overclocking, so I know that's a challenge for low profile coolers. The current heat sink is a Noctua NH U14S. It's pretty tall. doubt it will fit into a 4U case.

And what about water cooling? I know they will fit, but are they better?

I'm moving a system from a tower case into a 4U rack mounted chassis for use as a portable live video streaming studio. Built around ASUS P9X79-E WS server board, i7-4930K processor, NVidia Quadro K4200 GPU. I will most certainly be overclocking, so I know that's a challenge for low profile coolers. The current heat sink is a Noctua NH U14S. It's pretty tall. doubt it will fit into a 4U case.

And what about water cooling? I know they will fit, but are they better?

also water cooling is certainly higher performance but lack the absolute reliability of a simple heatsink with redundant fans that's cleaned often

unfortunately pump failure is inevitable, although probably not going to happen within 5 years but it *can* happen. leaks are very uncommon but also not unheard of with AIO water cooling

The best way to get a lot of cooling performance into a form factor like that is to go with an AIO or a custom loop. No low profile cooler will be able to handle even a reasonably overclocked intel extreme chip at reasonable temps I would go as far to say they it wouldn't even really handle it as stock clocks under full load.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Is the Noctua i4 a low profile? I like the Noctua 14 that's' in my current system, but it sure blocks that first PCI slot. I busted a latch installing a GPU.

Any particular AIO or custom loop? There are several. Price is not as important as peace of mind

Noctua NH-C14.. or a closed loop cooler (this one is a better idea).

CPU: INTEL i7-4770K | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P w/ NF-A15 | MoBo: Asus Z87-Deluxe | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4GB) @2400MHz | GPU: Asus GTX 760 DirectCU II | PSU: Seasonic X-850 (KM3)

CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro w/ white LEDs | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (Boot Drive) | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (Storage) | ODD(s): LG BH10 BD Rewriter + LG DVD Rewriter | 5.25": Scythe Kama Panel 3.1 |

GAMEPAD: XBOX 360 | KEYBOARD: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid-i | OS: Windows 8.1 64 bit | MONITOR: Samsung SyncMaster T220HD | SPEAKERS: Logitech LS21

Maorhee: I don't think the NH-C14 will work for i7-4930K. It's only good for 1155. Is there another you're thinking of?

It should.. depends on the 4U chassis, though. And yes, but you're going to need this. :)

CPU: INTEL i7-4770K | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P w/ NF-A15 | MoBo: Asus Z87-Deluxe | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4GB) @2400MHz | GPU: Asus GTX 760 DirectCU II | PSU: Seasonic X-850 (KM3)

CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro w/ white LEDs | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (Boot Drive) | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (Storage) | ODD(s): LG BH10 BD Rewriter + LG DVD Rewriter | 5.25": Scythe Kama Panel 3.1 |

GAMEPAD: XBOX 360 | KEYBOARD: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid-i | OS: Windows 8.1 64 bit | MONITOR: Samsung SyncMaster T220HD | SPEAKERS: Logitech LS21

Haha! I just found that.

The reason I don't "just use Google next time" is because Google can't give me the insight that an experienced person such as yourself can. It will show me everything out there possible that is rated to work, but not what your personal favorites are - based on experience.

Enjoy your coffee. You did a good thing this morning already

Now that's low profile!

And not only is very affortable but it is also very high performance even in oc so i think it would be perfect for what you need it . However only you can decide :)

Grant us the joy of song and dance and ever watch over us in the lonely places in which we must walk - Pray to Bastet

Now listen to what you just said. "Please use Google next time" You just defeated the purpose of this forum.

The reason I don't "just use Google next time" is because Google can't give me the insight that an experienced person such as yourself can. It will show me everything out there possible that is rated to work, but not what your personal favorites are - based on experience.

In fact I appreciate the very fact you posted on this forum, because people are going to help you purchase a the right cooler for your CPU and case and it might also help other people with a similar problem.

Now, when you ask things like ''is this cooler good for this CPU socket?'' and ''will it fit in this case?'', well, it's like saying ''give me the info which are listed on Noctua's website because I'm not willing to do that myself''. Sorry, that just doesn't feel right. That is not the purpose of a forum.

Also, you probably edited your post while I was writing my reply.. If I had read it before I wouldn't have answered that way. By the way, that conversation feels a little awkard now.

Hope I wasn't too harsh, that really wasn't my intention. Peace? :)

Maowhree I did look it up. That's why I questioned you when you suggested the cooler. It plainly does not work with my processor - without the special adapter. Which I found right about the time you decided to condescend and insult me. You went from hero to sourpuss in two minutes.

Relax and stop judging people. I did right by asking for help. And I feel confident that I ordered the best parts thanks to you.

Maowhree I did look it up. That's why I questioned you when you suggested the cooler. It plainly does not work with my processor - without the special adapter. Which I found right about the time you decided to condescend and insult me. You went from hero to sourpuss in two minutes.

Relax and stop judging people. I did right by asking for help. And I feel confident that I ordered the best parts thanks to you.

I didn't mean to insult you nor judge anybody, that was not my intention at all!

If anything, I felt like my time was being wasted by looking for informations which are easily found on the Internet on someone else's sake, now I know that wasn't the case.

Well, editing my post anyway.

It turns out the 4U chassis will not work for me. It's too big to be portable - I misjudged its size. Now my job is tougher, trying to fit into a 2U chassis. Looks like the Scythe Big Shuriken looks narrow enough. Thanks for  the tip.