Learning Programming

calebp123

Hello I'm newer to the forums and I'm really trying to get into programming. I'm not really sure what language to start with and I hear Python is probably the easiest. Any help or instruction on where to start would be amazing. Thank you.

I'd usually recommend Learn Python the Hard Way (google). The HTML copy is free and introduces you nicely to programming in general.

Python's a pretty good language for learning. Here's some reading: http://interactivepython.org/courselib/static/thinkcspy/index.html

thank you very much this website is awesome and it makes it really straight forward and easy to use.  :)

Case Bitfenix Shinobi | CPU - i5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz | Motherboard -  Asus P8Z77 | GPU - 7870 | PSU - Corsair CXM 600w | 
Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 1Tb x 2 | SSD - Samsung 840 256Gb | Cooling - Custom 2x Dual 120mm Radiator, Watercooling Loop |

Ultimate Programming Resources Thread ||| CompSci Masters Degree Student and Professional Java and C# Programmer

Hello I'm newer to the forums and I'm really trying to get into programming. I'm not really sure what language to start with and I hear Python is probably the easiest. Any help or instruction on where to start would be amazing. Thank you.

Dude, do not start with python. It's a very boring and pretty useless language! 

I suggest that you start reading a book about C or C# or C++ (which is my favorite language). I suggest that you download "C++ Primer Plus" from a torrent or something. It will really help you. Also if you learn C, you will be able to quickly learn Objective C, which is iOS, C# - Android and Windows 8...

But definitely read that book and watch tutorials online! It's not as hard as you think!

Here's a link to the 5th edition of the book.. I've read the 6th and it's great, but the 5th is just as good!

http://it-ebooks.info/book/1256/

Dude, do not start with python. It's a very boring and pretty useless language! 

I suggest that you start reading a book about C or C# or C++ (which is my favorite language). I suggest that you download "C++ Primer Plus" from a torrent or something. It will really help you. Also if you learn C, you will be able to quickly learn Objective C, which is iOS, C# - Android and Windows 8...

But definitely read that book and watch tutorials online! It's not as hard as you think!

Here's a link to the 5th edition of the book.. I've read the 6th and it's great, but the 5th is just as good!

http://it-ebooks.info/book/1256/

Not really a "useless language" considering a lot of people actually use it...

If anything, it teaches you the basics of programming really well since it's so simple.

Not really a "useless language" considering a lot of people actually use it...

If anything, it teaches you the basics of programming really well since it's so simple.

My only concern is if I learn Python how hard will it be to learn a new language like c++?

My only concern is if I learn Python how hard will it be to learn a new language like c++?

If you have all the basic ideas of programming down after learning Python, it's only a matter of learning the syntax/tricks for C++ (or other languages).

Ok also how much math do you really need to know to program because I've read that you don't need to know that much.

Not much. Most of it is your basic addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. You might end up needing to use things like ceiling, floor, modulus, etc...

Ok also how much math do you really need to know to program because I've read that you don't need to know that much.

You won't need much math. Just like arkon said, only basic addition, multiplication, division, subtraction and a bit of algebra...But I seriously suggest that you read a C++ book because it's an amazing language and very useful! 

You won't need much math. Just like arkon said, only basic addition, multiplication, division, subtraction and a bit of algebra...But I seriously suggest that you read a C++ book because it's an amazing language and very useful! 

I want to start with C++ and I defiantly learn it down the road, but for a begging language I hear the syntax is really hard to get into.  Thank you for the book link, I haven't had a chance to look at it but I will for sure!

With all due respect, If you think Python is useless, you're either very new to programming or are just not that good... It is an imperative language for software testing, writing automated tests and developing automated testing frameworks. I see your point about a non professional programmer finding less uses for it, but to say it is useless is completely untrue. I would hate my job without it to be honest.

Even in a non-proffesional setting, Python is great. It is simple to follow and understand. It will allow a beginner to easily understand concepts such as loops, flows of control, Object Oriented Programming and such like. From there most will find it much easier to advance to a more 'complex'(?) language such as C++ or Java.

Python also has a lot of awesome modules like PyGame for game development and Django for GUI development.

I am by no means a Python 'fan boy', as it does have its downfalls, but more a beginner it is a great language to start with, believe me.

As for maths, you don't need an advanced knowledge, but learning additional maths on the side is no bad thing.

Case Bitfenix Shinobi | CPU - i5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz | Motherboard -  Asus P8Z77 | GPU - 7870 | PSU - Corsair CXM 600w | 
Harddrive - Seagate Barracuda 1Tb x 2 | SSD - Samsung 840 256Gb | Cooling - Custom 2x Dual 120mm Radiator, Watercooling Loop |

Ultimate Programming Resources Thread ||| CompSci Masters Degree Student and Professional Java and C# Programmer

I really would recommend python for a language to learn first because it is really straight forward, is a good way to learn all the basics of programming, and is a fantastic language overall.

I started with java.

Actually, I did a little javascript first to introduce the very basic conepts: loop control, variables, etc.

I personally really like java as a starting program. Very similar to c++, which you will eventually need to learn if you want to do more complicated programs, but java lacks all the things that make c++ complicated.

Python is good for learning to problem solve, and learning/testing algorithims and such (as it is very easy and quick to start a new program) but it is quite drasitically different then c++.

I suggest Java :)

Intel 4770k   -   Corsair Vengeance Pro CL9 16gb 1866mhz   -   Corsair Air 540   -   Gentle Typhoon AP45   -   Corsair ax1200i   -   Razer Death Adder 2013   -   Filco Majestouch 2   -   Crucial m4 256gb ssd   -   1TB Western Digital Black   -   Asus Maximus vi Formula   -   Bitspower matte black fittings   -   Black Ice sr1 240mm and 360mm Radiators   -   Swiftech mcp655   -   EK x-res pump top   -   Promochill Advanced lrt 3/8 5/8 bloodshed red tubing   -   swiftech apogee hd cpu block   -   Asus pb278q 1440p monitor   -   Razer Carcharas Headphones   -   Razer Vespula Hard Mouse Pad   -   Arctic Silver 5 TIM   -   Sapphire r9-290x   -   Ek-fc R9-290x Waterblock and Backplate

I'd like to point a few things:

- Python is not useless. Python is behind many web frameworks, test frameworks, etc. You can do anything with Python that you can do with any other Turing-complete language. Hell even Dropbox is written in Python.

- C is the fastest syntax-friendly language you can learn.

- Java is conceptually near perfect if you want to learn a paradigm that is essentially king nowadays (Object Oriented Programming).

- C++ is a fast language, very similar to C but with added functionality (which make your life easier/your code conceptually better).

Here's something that should tell you Python's value as an introductory language, MIT and Stanford undergraduates' first programming course is in Python. There are several reasons why you should start with Python:

- Coercion (this is a double-edged sword). Coercion means that you need not worry (in most cases) with the type of data you're storing.

- Scripting language (among other things, it handles memory for you).

- Great, beautiful, syntax.

- Dynamic typing;

Python's only problem is its weak Object support.

Why you shouldn't start with C or C++ (unless you really want to get into programming and become a very real and knowledgeable developer):

- You have to manage memory manually (you can get away with stack-level blocks, but at some point you'll need to dynamically allocate memory);

- You need to understand how the OS works to write good C code;

Why Java is also a good choice to start:

- Conceptually perfect Object Oriented paradigm language;

- It handles memory for you (with garbage collection);

- Is faster than Python;

- Java is statistically the most used OOP language in the world (2nd overall);

In the end, I'd tell you to go for Python, then Java.

Want to solve problems? Check this out.