PSU fan replacement

Hy!

I'm new on this forum and I need some help reducing the noise of my PSU. Can anyone please help me?

I have an OCZ StealthXstream 2 700W PSU that does the job well for my needs, but has a pretty loud fan which I'd like to replace to make it quieter. Here's a link to a page where someone tried just that with the same PSU. I need a fan recommendation.

All help will be appreciated!

@ivorolic4

Something with a lot of static pressure and airflow at the same time...

CM Jetflo or Corsair SP High Performance maybe?

I have a similar OCZ power supply, so I understand the racket that it makes lol. I doubt it has a 3 pin fan connector, so would you be willing to hack an adapter or the wire on your fan(this would require soldering)? You PSU doesn't have a warranty anymore(since OCZ discontinued everything not SSD and acquisition stuff), so you wont have to worry about that(unless if you have a 3rd party warranty). Also be careful when opening up PSU's, they sting and hurt really badly if you aren't careful lol.

Edit: Noctua fan, unless if you want LED's.

Hy!

I'm new on this forum and I need some help reducing the noise of my PSU. Can anyone please help me?

I have an OCZ StealthXstream 2 700W PSU that does the job well for my needs, but has a pretty loud fan which I'd like to replace to make it quieter. Here's a link to a page where someone tried just that with the same PSU. I need a fan recommendation.

I'd probably go with something like a Bitfenix spectra pro or Gentle Typhoons, just something with high static pressure. As for powering the fan you have two options either to plug into the original 2 pin via adapter, splicing and soldering into the two pin, or running the 3 pin fan of the PSU into a fan controller of sorts or into a motherboard header to control the fan speeds.

Also Welcome to the forum!

Well I was thinking of cutting the two wires and soldering them to new fan as the only solution... You're right, warranty expired so no damage there. I don't have a lot of experience, but I watched a couple of youtube tutorials and I think I'm up for the job.

I was told that my current fan specs are: +12Vdc, 0.45A,. 87.85 CFM. 2400rpm, 38.3 dBA

So I'm looking for something that will do the same job with less noise.

Should I be concerned that my current fan spec for CFM is 87.85 and all the fans that I'm looking are 50-60? I've recently bought an UPS and is showing UPS load of 117W for my pc when idle and 220W for full load. So I'm correct to assume that my PSU is not strained and does not need that much cooling power?

Before you do it, make sure the new fan can physically fit in it, some fans have strangly designed mounting points, I'd say first take out the current fan so you know exactly what you need.

I would choose either a noctua or be quiet silent wing 2 as a replacement (if it can fit)

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Should I be concerned that my current fan spec for CFM is 87.85 and all the fans that I'm looking are 50-60? I've recently bought an UPS and is showing UPS load of 117W for my pc when idle and 220W for full load. So I'm correct to assume that my PSU is not strained and does not need that much cooling power?

Yes, your PSU isn't running full tilt so I wouldn't worry too heavily on matching the specs of the fan, I personally have a TX750 with a replaced fan and it varies only about 3-5C from the orginal at a max load of 500W while being whisper quiet.

Folow-up... What do you guys think of Scythe Grand Flex 120 mm 1600rpm for my PSU?

That seems more than adequate to cool the PSU just make sure to run it at 5V or with a low noise adapter so it isn't too loud since it is a 1600RPM fan.

That seems more than adequate to cool the PSU just make sure to run it at 5V or with a low noise adapter so it isn't too loud since it is a 1600RPM fan.

You lost me there... I'm wasn't planing on using any noise adapters and my primary goal is to make my PSU quieter.

I thought this fan is not as loud as the one I have and that it will be more quiet even when spining at 1600RPM (which it will as I understand giving that PSU only has red and black wire, no automatic speed adjustment... I'm I getting that right?) It's rated 1600RPM and 28.5 dBA (current fan is 2400RPM and 38.3 dBA) so I should see some improvement.

Yes, your PSU isn't running full tilt so I wouldn't worry too heavily on matching the specs of the fan, I personally have a TX750 with a replaced fan and it varies only about 3-5C from the orginal at a max load of 500W while being whisper quiet

Can you tell me how I can see my current PSU temperature? Does my PSU even have a temp sensor?

Can you tell me how I can see my current PSU temperature? Does my PSU even have a temp sensor?

Unless there is software procided by the PSU you can't check the tempature on teh built in sensor, what I did was use a probe from a multieter that I taped to the rear honeycomb exhaut to check the air tempatures.

So I'm planning on buying Scythe Grand Flex 120mm, 1600 RPM , 28,5 dBA , 61,1 CFM... Open the PSU, cut and solder the two wires and hope for the best. Hopefully less noise and enough cooling power.

050.908.347.jpg

So I'm planning on buying Scythe Grand Flex 120mm, 1600 RPM , 28,5 dBA , 61,1 CFM... Open the PSU, cut and solder the two wires and hope for the best. Hopefully less noise and enough cooling power.

050.908.347.jpg

Yep sounds like a plan if the fan is still running too loud or going full speed hence the 2 pin header inside the PSU at a constant 12V then it's be a good choice to run the 3 pin fan connector outside of the PSU and control it via the motherboard or fan controller.

As said before just becareful when opening the PSU, let it sit for a good 30-60 mins for resdual power to drain and to not touch the contacts on the big capactors.

Mission accomplished!

Thank you all for help! The new fan is a lot quieter than the stock one. I'm happy with the result.

The work

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I'm trying to realize a similar replacement (the yate loon original fan is noisy). The PSU is Hexa+ 500W.

I tried with a 120mm BeQuiet Shadow Wings (mid speed), but it does not work : the PSU seems to enter an error mode. While I start the computer, I can see the case fans running really slowly, and the CPU is not sufficently "feed" (red led on the mother board). The fan of the PSU seems to run correctly.

I get the same symptoms if i remove the PSU fan and I run the computer.

The new fan is correctly working with a 9V battery (for testing), and the PSU is OK when I put back the original fan.

Does anyone understand the behavior of the PSU ? The fan is only 2 wires, so I think it is not a RPM error, and the PSU failed at start (not an heating problem). Maybe a Current difference (0.3A vs 0.2A on the paper) detected by the PSU ?

Thanks for any information !