Updating to Windows 8.1 Pro

I have a computer running Windows 8.1. I have an extra retail copy of Windows 8.1 Pro on a disk. I was wondering if I can simply use that disk to "upgrade/keep data" to Windows 8.1 Pro or will I need to Wipe and fresh install.

The disk itself means nothing.  What matters is the product keys.  Yes you can just choose the "upgrade" option.  Although you often find yourself keeping all the same problems you had originally had.  I would recommend just taking all your important data putting it on a USB drive (or just put it on a cloud storage for a few days while you do it) and doing a "custom" install and delete your partitions and create new ones - then install it.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

The disk itself means nothing.  What matters is the product keys.  Yes you can just choose the "upgrade" option.  Although you often find yourself keeping all the same problems you had originally had.  I would recommend just taking all your important data putting it on a USB drive (or just put it on a cloud storage for a few days while you do it) and doing a "custom" install and delete your partitions and create new ones - then install it.

I think you misunderstand. I am not having any problems. I simply want to upgrade from the basic Windows 8.1 to Pro. I just wanted to be sure that I would have any problems doing that.

OHHHH, yes I did misunderstand.  But still the same rules apply.

Yes you can do what you want.

Although I do suggest you just take all your data and move it to a external drive, do a nice clean install.  You never know what kind of issues you WILL start having if you just do a "upgrade".

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

I think you misunderstand. I am not having any problems. I simply want to upgrade from the basic Windows 8.1 to Pro. I just wanted to be sure that I would have any problems doing that.

Yes, you can upgrade. Simply start the setup of the 8.1 Pro, and setup will detect your previous version of Windows and upgrade. Follow the wizard, and you'll be asked if you want to do an upgrade or not.

All you have to do is open control panel (change the view to small/large icons if you haven't already)

Click Add features to Windows 8.1 > I already have a product key enter the key > click next. It will install the extra features.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4