A word of advice for iOS users about iOS 8 and iOS 7 upgrading/downgrading

bcredeur97

Hello guys I am very happy that I am able to make this post as something like this hasnt happened in a long time! iOS 8 is releasing tommorow, and thus Apple's servers will not be signing iOS 7.1.2 anymore a couple of hours after the release of 8.0.

Some people remember that in the old days of iOS you could save your SHSH blobs (some files that store the device/version info needed to verify a restore) and then use those to directly downgrade your device with a fake TSS server that acted as the apple server so you could trick itunes into downgrading your device to a lower version.

Well I am happy to announce that the awesome dude from Canada (not linus) iH8sn0w (twitter: iH8sn0w [couldnt put the @ symbol lol]) has found a way to downgrade PRE 64-bit  Apple Devices using a new method that he has not explained yet. It is likely he will release this to the public as he is mentioning (not literal, but you can figure it out) (as well as his friend, @JonathanSeals) that it would be "wise" to save your current SHSH blobs for your device.

So if you dont want to read the above, basically if you save your PRE 64-bit iOS device's SHSH blobs right now, you will probably be able to downgrade from iOS 8 to iOS 7.1.2 if you want to in the near future.

Here is how to do so:

1. Make sure your device is jailbroken. (on iOS 7, this is easy. just use http://evasi0n.com/ or http://en.pangu.io/ depending on your firmware version)

2. Make sure your computer has iTunes installed.

3. download iFaith (ignore the version compatibility) from http://iH8sn0w.com/

4. Open iFaith (it may ask you to install .NET framework or whatever, please do this or it may not work)

5. Plug your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch into your PC

6. Hit ok at the prompt.

7. press the "show available SHSH caches available on server

8. if your device is plugged in and set up correctly (it "trusts" the computer and stuff) it should detect your device, otherwise youll have to select the device and put in the ECID

9. Press the button that says to retrieve the blobs that apple is currently signing, Ifaith will connect to apple's servers and retrieve the blobs for your device and it will save them to C:\Users\USERNAME\.shsh

10. If you have multiple devices, do them one at a time and organize your SHSH files at the above location into folders for each of your devices

11. You are done, make sure you keep all those .shsh files somewhere you may need them one day for downgrading purposes!!

Enjoy all! I really hope a working downgrade is released because then ill be able to check out iOS 8 and downgrade to iOS 7 if I miss my jailbreak for any reason!

P.S. Just Remember that this is only for pre-64bit devices. You can save your 64bit device blobs, but thanks to some added security features of the 64 bit chips (has nothing to do with its 64bit ness but its just the chips that are 64bit all have the features) the particular downgrade method being released here likely will not work for it. But keep your SHSH you never know when you may need it :D I personally save all of mine for events like this.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

But why would you want to?

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

But why would you want to?

Various reasons, including being able to revert to a jailbreak.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Various reasons, including being able to revert to a jailbreak.

-_-

I don't really support jailbreaking in the first place though I suppose that's a legitimate purpose.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

-_-

I don't really support jailbreaking in the first place though I suppose that's a legitimate purpose.

whats wrong with jailbreaking? gotta love them tweaks and themes.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

whats wrong with jailbreaking? gotta love them tweaks and themes.

It's just not for me.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /