Audio Issue (static/ringing)

Hey guys, I really need your help with this audio issue.

Here's the spec for the rig im trying to fix.

- Asus P8H77-MPRO/CM6870/DP_MB. (CM6870-CA010S),

-I7 3RD GEN

-16GB RAM

-GT 640

-PSU 640W

-WINDOWS 8.1 64bit

I'll try to explain the sound I'm hearing and what I've tried to do.

- It a buzzing/ringing combo. not very loud but stays constant, does not get louder or quieter when adjusting volume.

- tried speakers/headphones in the rear motherboard audio jack and the front panel too

- all drivers are up to date I believe. (I used driver booster to check).... man updating this mb was a pain in the rear. I believe this mb is a custom asus sold at best buy in a prebuilt pc.

- delete driver and re install.

- removing all plugs on mb incuding ram/ graphics card and plugging it back in.

- I do have a wireless internet card but I've tried it without it plugged in and it doesn't make a difference

- moved the whole system into another room (no PCs in that room)

- different RAM

- different Graphics card

- tried with the mobo out of the case

**NOTE** I noticed when go to sound in controlpanel, the "test" button is non clickable. but the system does recognise that there is a device plugged in.

Thanks for anyone who reads this and participates. Cheers! 

[i'm very willing to learn as well as fix this problem. Please, if u have any tips for me in the future, don't hesitate to msg me!]

Can someone tell me what do i need to do to get some help? Am I doing this wrong? or am i too impatient? 

It might be interference, try using the audio out on the back of the mobo, if that doesn't work then I'm not sure

Thanks for posting! Finally someone... but sadly I've already tried that!  Do u know what kind of things could cause such interference? 

Thanks for posting! Finally someone... but sadly I've already tried that! Do u know what kind of things could cause such interference?

Other cables that cross or are tangled up try unplugging all the plugs from the back apart from your headphones and see if the problem is still there, it shouldn't be interfering from the back of the mobo because its soldered directly onto the board its self, if that doesn't work then my only other option is getting a high quality cable that has some anti interference stuff inside it, if the cable is connected inside your headphones then buy a high quality extension cable to get past all the other cables

Also if you are using wireless headphone then it is unavoidable as it will get interference from all sorts like phones,ipods and anything with a wireless signal... I hope it helps!

i have very limited experience with this kinds of issue but have you tried touching the case or somewhere where you are grounded, its probably not but hey, its easy and cheap to do all you need is a body part

This Post Was Brought To You By Internet Explorer

if the hiss has always been there it could be the DAC on your MB is bad or maybe a bad PSU, static can come from nearly any electric device that isn't working properly. even if it functions properly

I will do some tests tomorrow morning on a test bench and in a different room. I will let you guys know how it goes! Thank you very much!

• 3 weeks later...

Oh wow. I know its been awhile BUT, I did run some new tests... and still nothing except static.

I have had static problems due to my Mobile Device being near to my setup. You could try turning off other possible interferences. If this does not work, if possible try a USB audio device. If even then this does not work. Make sure your files are fine and dandy. If nothing at all works out of these steps then it is most likely something rather complicated.

Thanks,

Tom.

I have had static problems due to my Mobile Device being near to my setup. You could try turning off other possible interferences. If this does not work, if possible try a USB audio device. If even then this does not work. Make sure your files are fine and dandy. If nothing at all works out of these steps then it is most likely something rather complicated.

Thanks,

Tom.

Hey, thanks for helping.

How "close" are we talking about? like 30cm, 1m...? Unfortunately I do not have a usb audio device to test, but even if i had one and it worked, it wouldn't solve my problem.  As for my files, I've tried installed windows 7 and 8.1 multiple times with different hard drives.

if the hiss has always been there it could be the DAC on your MB is bad or maybe a bad PSU, static can come from nearly any electric device that isn't working properly. even if it functions properly

Thanks for replying,

If it was the DAC on my MB, how would i go to fix it? 

I know when you put a vibrating device next to the wire, it will cause some sort of interference 

perhaps you should get a USB adapter which can convert audio for you (I don't know if those exist though, but hey, almost everything is on USB)

I know when you put a vibrating device next to the wire, it will cause some sort of interference 

perhaps you should get a USB adapter which can convert audio for you (I don't know if those exist though, but hey, almost everything is on USB)

I have the exact same problem! Some sort of mechanical sound/buzzing in my headphones. It's very high pitch and rather annoying. I have changed out the mobo, thinking that it was a capacitor that died on me, but that didn't solve anything. So I am rather hopeless now, as it makes my computer close to useless. Have you solved this problem yet? 

Soooooooooo... I got good news... sorta. 

I purchased a usb to stereo audio device and I will be doing tests on SUNDAY! I know it will NOT solve my problem overall but hopefully it will lead me to the solution! I will also try to use another PSU buuut I really doubt the one I am using now is the problem. 

FYI I will fix this problem... even if I have to take this mobo apart...

Not a buff of any sort on this type of thing, but had a similar issue and tried a couple things that ended up working for me.

Went into audio manager and 0'd out any input/microphone boost (just disabling microphone didn't help)

If there's an inline volume control try squeezing it and adjusting the volume from it

debris/damage something of that sort causing issues with the connectors or wires

I assume you've likely tried different speakers but if you haven't, using a different cord or even some cheap desktop speakers would be a good, cheap check

• 4 weeks later...

Not a buff of any sort on this type of thing, but had a similar issue and tried a couple things that ended up working for me.

Went into audio manager and 0'd out any input/microphone boost (just disabling microphone didn't help)

If there's an inline volume control try squeezing it and adjusting the volume from it

debris/damage something of that sort causing issues with the connectors or wires

I assume you've likely tried different speakers but if you haven't, using a different cord or even some cheap desktop speakers would be a good, cheap check

Let me know how it went! I am kinda pissed that I bought a brand new mobo and didn't fix the problem. 

Sorry dudes! Been caught up with other issues but a little update on the audio jack THROUGH usb... IT WORKS! everything seems fine BUT this does not solve the issue. This should help me and/or others to close in on the problem. So I repeat, buying a usb audio port device/module MAY fix your static problem if you're having the same audio issue as i am. 

Just a little info about what I am using, it is the "Startech USB to stereo audio external sound card". If i remember correctly, it was under 20 bucks. Not bad if you're looking for a quick fix.

Thanks for the update! I have tried everything and no luck so far... Since I was already planning on updating my audio setup, the O2/ODAC will hopefully fix my problem and give me better audio than the mobo. Two birds with one stone. Just a shame that I can't solve the problem, so I have to use an expensive upgrade.

That's good for you! I wish I could do that but this isn't for myself or else I might have went that route. Been busy with school (midterm) but hopefully I can get some free time to search up on this more. I'll keep posting my progress anyway since I don't see much info on this specific prob anywhere yet. :(