Build off Thread Started by CornOnJacob *Important Ideas*

ddbtkd456

Alright so him and I have been talking lately and I wanted to weigh in what an opinion of the community would think about the idea we have. As you currently know each week there is a contest with builds without really building them and the winner gets announced. We are thinking about holding it every 2 weeks instead of every week, so twice a month. To benefit from this we will be giving the winner at the end of the two weeks a $5.00 (USD) gift card to amazon via user name....is this something you guys would be interested in? I am currently in position to be the prize manager so please let me know some other ideas. Prizes will not be physical as shipping them to different countries costs to much. There will be no discussion were the money is coming from because we have decided not to release that to not create problems. This is a way to give back to the community for everything they do.

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

Is it possible to have a bigger prize, like a 15 or 20 dollar Amazon card?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Is it possible to have a bigger prize, like a 15 or 20 dollar Amazon card?

We could do that...it might make it easier for people in other countries...I have thought about that.

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

finally a place to launder all that coke money.. ^_^

on a serious note, idea seems good, but you mean like a virtual build like as in pc part picker list or builds for others & posting those for the entry?

Details separate people.

finally a place to launder all that coke money.. ^_^

on a serious note, idea seems good, but you mean like a virtual build like as in pc part picker list or builds for others & posting those for the entry?

Correct they have been doing it for quite some time now...thanks to the poster in my OP. However I wanted people to have a reason to do it...other then the love of building....something to help people out...the money is legal on a serious note...it can be found here:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

Correct they have been doing it for quite some time now...thanks to the poster in my OP. However I wanted people to have a reason to do it...other then the love of building....something to help people out...the money is legal on a serious note...

oh okay, sounds good.. so  when are you planning to start the thread?

Details separate people.

Uhh you can do a 20 dollar steam card as a prize too. This is good, something to look to.

oh okay, sounds good.. so  when are you planning to start the thread?

He will start it on the 15th when he gets back and do a complete overhaul on the existing ones...

Uhh you can do a 20 dollar steam card as a prize too. This is good, something to look to.

We could but I thought since not everyone games it would be better to get an amazon one...however you could be given a choice on what to choose from...15 dollars will be the top limit I believe.

We could but I thought since not everyone games it would be better to get an amazon one...however you could be given a choice on what to choose from...15 dollars will be the top limit I believe.

Maybe you could do something like the winner gets a chose which gift card they want. 

Maybe you could do something like the winner gets a chose which gift card they want. 

That would be possible...choice between Amazon or Stream...they have to be given in code redeem form tho since I will be directly pm'ing the user his or her code....or by email their choice.

That would be possible...choice between Amazon or Stream...they have to be given in code redeem form tho since I will be directly pm'ing the user his or her code....or by email their choice.

or itunes or google play

or itunes or google play

We should keep it minimal and if requested I might change it. I personally do not want my debit card all over the web on different accounts I will never use...since I am the one that will be ordering them. Also iTunes comes in 25 dollars and Google play comes in 10, 25 dollars...wouldn't work.

We should keep it minimal and if requested I might change it. I personally do not want my debit card all over the web on different accounts I will never use...since I am the one that will be ordering them.

When is this going to start? Maybe when you have a lot of support for this?

When is this going to start? Maybe when you have a lot of support for this?

The 15th I believe is when he will be back from his trip and I believe he is going to do an overhaul on the topic and add in some new rules regarding this. He had asked me if I wanted to create a separate thread for this, but honestly I just really don't have the time to maintain it like he does, therefore I agreed to be the prize manager instead. So I believe sometime after he gets back...if you haven't already follow that thread I posted above and when it starts one of us will post in it to update everyone. The contest will be held every 2 weeks (from the last I've heard)....to allow 1 weeks for building and 1 week for voting....if ties occur it will be up to the thread manager (or me) to make the call, just to keep it fair since he won't be competing (of if he wants to compete he can and I will make the judgement call). Support doesn't have anything to do with it as long as we have 2 people at least I could really care less. I might talk to him about doing holiday specials for tournaments or series of 3 builds all qualifying for more of a prize....something like 30 dollar gift card or 40, maybe a couple of times a year or something.

update we will stick with amazon gift cards unless someone knows where to get redeemable steam codes.

Sounds like a great idea. :)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Sounds like a great idea. :)

I do have 2 threads going for contests right now. Prize is 5 dollar amazon gift card on both.

Edit:

Contests have ended....