AM3+ compatible CPUs and

Browsing the Swedish version of eBay, I find plenty of Phenoms, costing 1-2 bucks. Since I really want to build a new PC, just for building it, I figured that I might have a shot at getting one of these CPUs. The only problem being that they are only compatible with the old AM2+/AM3 sockets. Although, according to some sources, AM3+ motherboards have support for not only AM3+ CPUs, but also Phenoms II and Athlons II (in both cases X2-X4). Is this true? Can I but for example an AMD Phenom II X2 550, supporting the AM2+/AM3 sockets, into an AM3+ motherboard.

Also, sorry if there already is a topic about this. It feels like there might be, but I couldn't find it.

Is it a monkey? Is it an ape? I don't care, I LOVE'EM!

Browsing the Swedish version of eBay, I find plenty of Phenoms, costing 1-2 bucks. Since I really want to build a new PC, just for building it, I figured that I might have a shot at getting one of these CPUs. The only problem being that they are only compatible with the old AM2+/AM3 sockets. Although, according to some sources, AM3+ motherboards have support for not only AM3+ CPUs, but also Phenoms II and Athlons II (in both cases X2-X4). Is this true? Can I but for example an AMD Phenom II X2 550, supporting the AM2+/AM3 sockets, into an AM3+ motherboard.

Also, sorry if there already is a topic about this. It feels like there might be, but I couldn't find it.

AM3 CPUs work with AM3+ motherboards. My home server is set up like that (Sempron 145 + ASRock 960GM-VGS3 FX).

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

So if it says a CPU is compatible with AM2+ and AM3, is it also compatible with AM3+?

AM3 CPUs work with AM3+ motherboards. My home server is set up like that (Sempron 145 + ASRock 960GM-VGS3 FX quote]

So if it says a CPU is compatible with AM2+ and AM3, is it also compatible with AM3+?

Yes, exactly.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

And the Swedish "eBay" he is talking about is blocket.se

But dude, seriously. Build that computer!

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

AM2 cpu´s dont work on am3 (+) motherboards.

Since AM2 cpu´s only support DDR2.

But the Phenom II AM2+ / AM3 cpu´s have both a DDR2 and DDR3 memory controler.

So yeah they also work on AM3 mobo´s.

In theory. As the AM3 CPUs have a DDR2 memory controller or AM2+ back compatibility, but an AM2+ CPU Won't work.

Ok, thanks for the responses everyone, I'll get to building a "recycled" PC as soon as my summer vacation ends!