titan black

carbonz3

is a titan black for 999.99 new a good deal? i need a new gpu

For gaming, just get a 780ti or 290x. 

For more workstation-esque use, go for it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

that's pretty much the normal price of the titan series, if you must have it for higher than 1440p gaming maybe otherwise save your money and get a R9 290

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Depending on what games you play and what resolution you're playing them at (and how much you want to spend), you're probably better off with a R9-290, 780, or 780TI.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Well that would very much depend on your use case scenario. If it's not for compute applications or larger monitor arrays i.e.workstation, it would be a waste of money.

Currently the R9 290/780 (ti) model are the best & most popular graphics cards on the market.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Depends on the currency. 999 yen? Yes, buy it right now. £999, no that's expensive. 

Also, the Titan Black is really not a cost effective card, in particular for gaming. If you're not using a high res monitor or surround, there's no point to the Titan Black for gaming as you'd get similar performance from a 780Ti or 290X. Titan Blacks perform a little better than 290Xs, and are only useful at high resolutions where the 780Ti struggles. 

A 780 Ti would be a better buy if you aren't doing more workstation-optimised programs.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

A 780 Ti would be a better buy if you aren't doing more workstation-optimised programs.

never a good buy. Not enough for the money.

If it is a workstation or you are playing in 4k then yes, anything sub 4k doesn't need the extra Vram .

never a good buy. Not enough for the money.

It performs better than the 290x at 1080p, the same at 1440p and 4k, it has CUDA which is very important for workstations, it runs cooler and consumes less power. You need to do research Mr. AMD Fanboy :)

It performs better than the 290x at 1080p, the same at 1440p and 4k, it has CUDA which is very important for workstations, it runs cooler and consumes less power. You need to do research Mr. AMD Fanboy :)

Cuda LOL. That's just another word for streaming processors . The aftermarket 290 card runcooler than 780ti and consume near the same power.

Cuda LOL. That's just another word for streaming processors . The aftermarket 290 card runcooler than 780ti and consume near the same power.

I have a 270X and I'd still rather have a 780 over a 290...

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Someone needs to make a captioned picture of Logan when he said something like "It costs more and it preforms better! Whaaaaaat?"

... then can you explain why %90 of content creators use Nvidia? The answer is because the adobe suite works better with Nvidia cards due to Cuda. Look it up. Fine they consume more or less the same amount of power. The 290 still kicks more heat out into a room. Unless you are planning on water cooling it and having the radiator outside which nobody does, because that's not practical. Comparing a reference card to a non-reference card is stupid.  MSI 780 ti under full load once OC runs at 78 degrees, the MSI R9 290x runs at 83 once overclocked. Yeah, last time I checked 78 is lower than 83. Also, a reference 780 ti caps at 83 whether you want it to or not, meaning even non-reference 290x to reference 290 it ties.

I have a 270X and I'd still rather have a 780 over a 290...

Why ?

... then can you explain why %90 of content creators use Nvidia? The answer is because the adobe suite works better with Nvidia cards due to Cuda.

CS6 now supports OpenCL. If your a content creator then it would stand to reason to get a developer level card or a Titan if the workstation cards are to expensive for you. For the gamers the 290 is still better than 780 "all things considered".

The 290 still kicks more heat out into a room. Unless you are planning on water cooling it and having the radiator outside which nobody does, because that's not practical.

This is clearly a contrived statement. We have been having some hot weather here 30c+ and the AMD card did not heat up the room LOL. Do you have your computer exhausting inches from your face ?

Comparing a reference card to a non-reference card is stupid.  MSI 780 ti under full load once OC runs at 78 degrees, the MSI R9 290x runs at 83 once overclocked. Yeah, last time I checked 78 is lower than 83. Also, a reference 780 ti caps at 83 whether you want it to or not, meaning even non-reference 290x to reference 290 it ties.

Apples to Apples with the same coolers the 290x actually runs cooler under load than the 780.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_780_Lightning/30.html

Thank the mods for moving this lol

Was abut to put up a fit

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

I just realized the OP hasn't been back to this thread

OP: what are you using the card for? and what currency are you using? As said already 999.99 yen is a steal, 999.99 British Pounds, not so much.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

CS6 now supports OpenCL. If your a content creator then it would stand to reason to get a developer level card or a Titan if the workstation cards are to expensive for you. For the gamers the 290 is still better than 780 "all things considered".

This is clearly a contrived statement. We have been having some hot weather here 30c+ and the AMD card did not heat up the room LOL. Do you have your computer exhausting inches from your face ?

Apples to Apples with the same coolers the 290x actually runs cooler under load than the 780.

Those are both 780s, and we are talking about the 780 ti....

Those are both 780s, and we are talking about the 780 ti....

opps was supposed to Link the 290x Lightning it runs cooler under load than 780 non ti Lightning.