Best laptop under 1000$

CaptainRagu

My girlfriend is looking to buy a new laptop. She doesn't play games but does do some photo editing and lots of stats programs. Right now she wants to go up to best buy and purchase the best thing she can find for under 1000$, but I know whatever there won't be nearly as good as some online options.

So I come to you guys. What do you think is the best laptop money can buy for under 1000$?

My girlfriend is looking to buy a new laptop. She doesn't play games but does do some photo editing and lots of stats programs. Right now she wants to go up to best buy and purchase the best thing she can find for under 1000$, but I know whatever there won't be nearly as good as some online options.

So I come to you guys. What do you think is the best laptop money can buy for under 1000$?

If you're just doing photo editing and stats programs then just whatever ultrabook you can find for 800-1000 that looks the nicest to you. What screen size are you looking to get? Where are you located?

"Rawr XD"

Lenovo Y40

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

Canada

lol more specifically where in canada? Are you looking to get a 13", 14", 15", 17" ??

"Rawr XD"

So you're going to want a Keyboard with a numpad and a display with good colours and viewing angles

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231692 has a full size keyboard and decent specs, but shitty display

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Lenovo Y40

Hands down the best.  I want to get one, but Lenovo Canada won't accept PayPal... :'(

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Hands down the best.  I want to get one, but Lenovo Canada won't accept PayPal... :'(

That seems kind of dumb, why would they not accept PayPal?

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

I would recommend either the Y40 or Y50, but the Y50 might be a tiny bit out of the price range. If not, I would go with something from Asus.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

Newfoundland and ideally a 15 inch

BestBuy/Future Shop selections are getting crappy nowadays, but if it's your only choice, then there's this, this, this, and this

"Rawr XD"

That seems kind of dumb, why would they not accept PayPal?

I don't know, I contacted them and they said they wouldn't, they wouldn't even accept money in 2 payments.  So I guess those of us that have a $500 credit limit are fucked.  They even support phone-in bank orders, but not PayPal......

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

The new MacBooks Airs start at $899

The new MacBooks Airs start at $899

Get outta here with your Macs

"Rawr XD"

Macbook Pro

/s

Get outta here with your Macs

You wish

You wish

No I don't. I wouldn't buy a mac even if they were cheaper then a PC. The last Mac I owned was an iBook G4 and man that thing was just headaches

"Rawr XD"

No I don't. I wouldn't buy a mac even if they were cheaper then a PC. The last Mac I owned was an iBook G4 and man that thing was just headaches

The last Mac I owned was an iBook G4

I hate to break it to you, but one or two things may have changed since oh... 2003? :P

The last Mac I owned was an iBook G4

I hate to break it to you, but one or two things may have changed since oh... 2003? :P

Mine was the mid 2005 model. I know a lot of people though who have bought MacBooks (pros, airs, etc) in the recent few years and really regret it. One of my friends came to school with a MacBook Pro which had a trackpad that looked like a phone that had been dropped onto concrete. He was laying on the floor using his Mac when his phone fell of the table beside him, landed on the (apparently) glass trackpad, and shattered it. This never would have happened to my iBook G4. Come on Apple.

"Rawr XD"

Mine was the mid 2005 model. I know a lot of people though who have bought MacBooks (pros, airs, etc) in the recent few years and really regret it. One of my friends came to school with a MacBook Pro which had a trackpad that looked like a phone that had been dropped onto concrete. He was laying on the floor using his Mac when his phone fell of the table beside him, landed on the (apparently) glass trackpad, and shattered it. This never would have happened to my iBook G4. Come on Apple.

It's glass so it doesn't suck like (literally) every pc trackpad. Nothing even comes close to Apples trackpads.

It's glass so it doesn't suck like (literally) every pc trackpad. Nothing even comes close to Apples trackpads.

If I'm going to pay $1300+ for a laptop it should at least be something better then just plain glass. My brother has an Acer Ultrabook that cost the same as a base model MacBook Air that has much better specs, and a Gorilla Glass trackpad.

"Rawr XD"

If I'm going to pay $1300+ for a laptop it should at least be something better then just plain glass. My brother has an Acer Ultrabook that cost the same as a base model MacBook Air that has much better specs, and a Gorilla Glass trackpad.

MacBook Airs start at $899

The MB trackpad still crushes the Asus, no matter what glass it advertises. It's the treatment of the glass they use- they don't just stick a random piece of window glass on it. It's coated, sanded, and hardened to be smooth and low-friction.

MacBook Airs start at $899

The MB trackpad still crushes the Asus, no matter what glass it advertises. It's the treatment of the glass they use- they don't just stick a random piece of window glass on it. It's coated, sanded, and hardened to be smooth and low-friction.

We brought it to an Apple store to compare with the Macbook. It feels just as good if not better (doesn't leave as much fingerprints so it feels better then the macbook trackpad after a while). And this is Apple, the "highest end" laptop manufacturer vs Acer (not asus btw), the "lowest end". The tables have turned

"Rawr XD"

We brought it to an Apple store to compare with the Macbook. It feels just as good if not better (doesn't leave as much fingerprints so it feels better then the macbook trackpad after a while). And this is Apple, the "highest end" laptop manufacturer vs Acer (not asus btw), the "lowest end". The tables have turned

:lol:  You almost got me there! Even if the trackpad was better (and you were at a store, so you used a model probably used by five hundred people's grubby fingers on the trackpad before yours), Windows sucks when it comes to gestures and such- Mac has three, four, even five finger gestures that the trackpad works with beautifully, and it's so much smoother than natural than anything else out there. Even scrolling is nice- it's momentum-based, whereas Windows uses the standard fare.

I'll end this argument here. Truce?

:lol:  You almost got me there! Even if the trackpad was better (and you were at a store, so you used a model probably used by five hundred people's grubby fingers on the trackpad before yours), Windows sucks when it comes to gestures and such- Mac has three, four, even five finger gestures that the trackpad works with beautifully, and it's so much smoother than natural than anything else out there. Even scrolling is nice- it's momentum-based, whereas Windows uses the standard fare.

I'll end this argument here. Truce?

lol I don't even use the four/five finger gestures on my iPad's 9.7" screen, never mind the iPhone screen sized trackpad of the Mac. Also, the Acer has momentum scrolling as well. It's not in vanilla Windows, but is added through Acer's software

"Rawr XD"