Good GPU for Core 2 Quad Q8300

RubyRoks
Go to solution Solved by Simmytu,

GT 610 and Pentium 4 LOL I would not even bother trying to watch the slide show that supposed to be a game on that thing let alone try and play on it LOL. Pentium 4 was an epic fail and the GT 610 ... abysmal. I pity you LOL and your old rig. I recommend saving for a new rig and getting the best GPU you can afford now and then just transfer it to your new rig when you get it.

Ehh, the OP asked for a GPU that's recommended for this exact CPU, the Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 and not criticizing him using "ancient" systems and such. ;)

My vote goes to the R7 265, it isn't that much expensive over the GTX 750Ti, it's a bit more powerful with the con that it may use more power but that 550 watt PSU should handle it without much of hiccups.

If power consumption and money is the factor then consider the GTX 750Ti. It's cheaper, efficient and powerful (for it's category).

I need a good card under $300 for the Q8300. I'm running at 720p and don't need any Anti-aliasing. Any suggestions?

Linus once unboxed a Toblerone

GTX750Ti or R7 265

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Overclock it a smidgeon, put a GTX 760 or R9 280 to it, profit.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Overclock it a smidgeon, put a GTX 760 or R9 280 to it, profit.

Huge bottleneck with a 280, 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

I would get a 750ti but if your psu can take it, 265. 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

Gtx 760 is a beast, and around $220

GTX 770 on sale or GTX 760

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Ebay and find cheap throw aways of the AMD 5870/6870/7850/7870 or Nvidia GTX570/580/660ti/670

There were always plenty available even before Bitcoin was a thing...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I need a good card under $300 for the Q8300. I'm running at 720p and don't need any Anti-aliasing. Any suggestions?

The cpu model and motherboard should be you key determining factor.  LGA 775 is fairly, how shall I put put this, Aged?  PCI-E 2.0 is the fastest you can possibly hope to obtain for an express lane.  First determine if you have an x16 lane.  Then determine you gaming or other needs for the GPU.  Personally, I liked the deal on this one, it a bit older but it was 2nd from the top when manufactured.  $100 for a new card that sports this much power is not a bad deal.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131578&cm_re=hd_6970-_-14-131-578-_-Product

"We will never make a 32-bit operating system." -- Bill Gates, 1989

I had a Q8400 running at 3.2 Ghz and my 7790 (1gb version of the R7 260x) was bottlenecked. Anything more than a 750ti or r7 260x is a waste unless you upgrade.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

You have 6 year old CPU and motherboard combination, and DDR2 memory. I would seriously consider a platform upgrade instead of a GPU upgrade right now and do the GPU upgrade within 3-4 months when the new iteration of gfx cards are out so you will get the best performance out of this.

Your system already cannot handle anything more than 750ti or a R7 260X / 265, so a GPU upgrade would not be, whilst very beneficial, not as big of an impact on your general computer experience (everything else than gaming). Moreover, those two cards in suggestion here are very small cards if you ever want to step up your game later with a platform upgrades. This means if you buy one of those two cards now and then upgrade your platform within the next 6 months, you would, then, have bought outdated gpus by then and then bought a platform upgrade nullifying the reason you bought such low end cards in the first place.

Trying to provide you an alternative view here. Please consider a platform upgrade to LGA1155 or LGA1150, it will boost your general use case experiences overall a lot more than just the gaming side.

have the CPU a 750ti bottlenecks it too in some game.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

750ti

R7 265. It is better than GTX 750 Ti, just a bit power hungry.

Intel i7 2600 @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI Z77-GD55 | Crucial 16 GB DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz | Intel 330 SSD 180Gb | Western Digital Black 1Tb | Western Digital Green 2Tb | Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti | OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W | Thermaltake Commander MS-I case | OS X Yosemite | Dell Vostro 3550 Windows 10

Intel Xeon 1230 V2 | Gigabyte GA-H61M-S | Kingston 4Gb RAM 1333Mhz | Seagate 1TB  | Fractial Design Arc mini | Windows 10

R7 265. It is better than GTX 750 Ti, just a bit power hungry.

if he's using that CPU it's most likely a prebuilt that can't power a 265

get a 750ti, buy a new cooler... apply cooler. overclock and you'll be good.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

if he's using that CPU it's most likely a prebuilt that can't power a 265

How do you know that it is pre-built?? It could be custom built. And difference between GTX 750 Ti and R7 265 is ~30W under load. And R7 265 is more powerfull.

Intel i7 2600 @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI Z77-GD55 | Crucial 16 GB DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz | Intel 330 SSD 180Gb | Western Digital Black 1Tb | Western Digital Green 2Tb | Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti | OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W | Thermaltake Commander MS-I case | OS X Yosemite | Dell Vostro 3550 Windows 10

Intel Xeon 1230 V2 | Gigabyte GA-H61M-S | Kingston 4Gb RAM 1333Mhz | Seagate 1TB  | Fractial Design Arc mini | Windows 10

The cpu model and motherboard should be you key determining factor.  LGA 775 is fairly, how shall I put put this, Aged?  PCI-E 2.0 is the fastest you can possibly hope to obtain for an express lane.  First determine if you have an x16 lane.  Then determine you gaming or other needs for the GPU.  Personally, I liked the deal on this one, it a bit older but it was 2nd from the top when manufactured.  $100 for a new card that sports this much power is not a bad deal.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131578&cm_re=hd_6970-_-14-131-578-_-Product

From what i've seen, PCI 2 and 3 don't have much of a difference on the lower end cards that i'd be running.

You have 6 year old CPU and motherboard combination, and DDR2 memory. I would seriously consider a platform upgrade instead of a GPU upgrade right now and do the GPU upgrade within 3-4 months when the new iteration of gfx cards are out so you will get the best performance out of this.

Your system already cannot handle anything more than 750ti or a R7 260X / 265, so a GPU upgrade would not be, whilst very beneficial, not as big of an impact on your general computer experience (everything else than gaming). Moreover, those two cards in suggestion here are very small cards if you ever want to step up your game later with a platform upgrades. This means if you buy one of those two cards now and then upgrade your platform within the next 6 months, you would, then, have bought outdated gpus by then and then bought a platform upgrade nullifying the reason you bought such low end cards in the first place.

Trying to provide you an alternative view here. Please consider a platform upgrade to LGA1155 or LGA1150, it will boost your general use case experiences overall a lot more than just the gaming side.

Considering i got this for free, and considering it'll last me until i have the money for a proper machine, i'll just buy a GPU and save the rest. I'm only running 720p, and i've seen systems with less RAM and similar spec otherwise run games at 1080p better than the next gen consoles. $130 and the ability to use it as a proper PC vs $500 and no way to do my homework? i'd rather have the near free PC

How do you know that it is pre-built?? It could be custom built. And difference between GTX 750 Ti and R7 265 is ~30W under load. And R7 265 is more powerfull.

it's pre-built, but my grandpa put a 550w PSU in there

From what i've seen, PCI 2 and 3 don't have much of a difference on the lower end cards that i'd be running.

Considering i got this for free, and considering it'll last me until i have the money for a proper machine, i'll just buy a GPU and save the rest. I'm only running 720p, and i've seen systems with less RAM and similar spec otherwise run games at 1080p better than the next gen consoles. $130 and the ability to use it as a proper PC vs $500 and no way to do my homework? i'd rather have the near free PC

it's pre-built, but my grandpa put a 550w PSU in there

In the case of free i would reccomend ebay.  Used is probably a great way to go for a low budget investment.  PCI-E 3.0 x16 slot does have double the bandwidth of PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot.  The thing is that no current graphics cards use all of the bandwidth.

Just upgrade that garbage CPU and thank me later !

In the case of free i would reccomend ebay.  Used is probably a great way to go for a low budget investment.  PCI-E 3.0 x16 slot does have double the bandwidth of PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot.  The thing is that no current graphics cards use all of the bandwidth.

The system is an improvement over what i have and likely outperforms the PC my brother has, which i'm already thoroughly impressed with (A6 5400k and 4gb of RAM). As far as the PCI-E thing, i know it's double the bandwidth, but like you said, no GPUs take advantage of it yet, so i'm not worried about having or not having 3.0

Just upgrade that garbage CPU and thank me later !

The point of the thread is not to criticize the PC i was given, but rather to pair a GPU to it. Any PC i get is an improvement over the P4 HT and 1.5 GB of RAM that i have. I'd rather bottleneck my GPU with a system that can't use it than bottleneck my entire system by keeping the GT 610 that's in it at the moment. I also can't really afford a "proper" system. Would you like to recommend a GPU instead?

Ebay right now has R9 290's for $200.

The point of the thread is not to criticize the PC i was given, but rather to pair a GPU to it. Any PC i get is an improvement over the P4 HT and 1.5 GB of RAM that i have. I'd rather bottleneck my GPU with a system that can't use it than bottleneck my entire system by keeping the GT 610 that's in it at the moment. I also can't really afford a "proper" system. Would you like to recommend a GPU instead?

GT 610 and Pentium 4 LOL I would not even bother trying to watch the slide show that supposed to be a game on that thing let alone try and play on it LOL. Pentium 4 was an epic fail and the GT 610 ... abysmal. I pity you LOL and your old rig. I recommend saving for a new rig and getting the best GPU you can afford now and then just transfer it to your new rig when you get it.

...Kinda what i'm going for...

Ehh, the OP asked for a GPU that's recommended for this exact CPU, the Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 and not criticizing him using "ancient" systems and such. ;)

My vote goes to the R7 265, it isn't that much expensive over the GTX 750Ti, it's a bit more powerful with the con that it may use more power but that 550 watt PSU should handle it without much of hiccups.

If power consumption and money is the factor then consider the GTX 750Ti. It's cheaper, efficient and powerful (for it's category).

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r: