Crossfire R9 290 or 290x, prices are close?

Petecool

Ive decided to get the 290 or 290x, i will be custom water cooling so ill buy the reference version. I heard that they are similar in performance so i need help choosing.

290=$440

290x=$500

What one would you choose?

If both were overclocked to their max with watercooling, would the 290x win by alot or just a bit?

Aus prices btw

yes clock for clock the 290X will pull away but only by a few fps actually

i say pick the 290 and go CF later

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

yes clock for clock the 290X will pull away but only by a few fps actually

i say pick the 290 and go CF later

But im doing a full loop, it would be a pain to leak the water and redo it.

But im doing a full loop, it would be a pain to leak the water and redo it.

so you planning to buy only one GPU?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

get the 290. Best price to performance ratio

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

nah 2

what is your max budget for GPUs?

get the 290. Best price to performance ratio

so even if its $100 more for two 290x you would rather go 290?

$1000

Well, Might get the 290x if that is your budget. I was referring to 290 if you are on a tight budget, but you ain't. 

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

Either would be fine. Eurogamer managed to get equivalent performance out of dual 290s when compared to the 295x2, so getting either should be fine. And since you are watercooling, you'll have better OC headroom.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.