Need Help ASAP Trying To Move Data From an External Drive to another

halp meh linusians

I have about 120 GB worth of data that I need to move from my external HDD to a friend's external HDD. The thing is that whenever I start copying the data, it goes well till about 10% then it just says that the files could not be found in the old drive. 
But I didn't even touch the files while moving!
This causes the external HDD I'm transferring to to become corrupted sometimes, and the only solution to that is to re-format the entire thing.

Please help me, LTT community, as I need to give back the HDD in a couple of hours.

thank

Dream Build: 
CPU: Intel Core i420 "Blazewell" GPU: Quad Titan GT420s RAM: 420GB Dank Dominator SSD: 9001 TB WD LeafGreen

there could be a corrupt file in the drive, try moving the files a few folders at a time until you can narrow it down the file that wont move.

Edit: 699 posts :P

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

there could be a corrupt file in the drive, try moving the files a few folders at a time until you can narrow it down the file that wont move.

Edit: 699 posts :P

Pretty inconvenient to do when I have to move 120 GB worth of files with each folder being a max of 2 GB and minimum 30 MB. But I'll try.

Dream Build: 
CPU: Intel Core i420 "Blazewell" GPU: Quad Titan GT420s RAM: 420GB Dank Dominator SSD: 9001 TB WD LeafGreen

I have used Total commander for this and it allows just skipping unreadable files. But that was some years ago :D

Last time I went with commandline with something like:

XCOPY /C/H/R/S/Y C:\ D:\ > D:\LOGFILE.TXT

Last time I went with commandline with something like:

XCOPY /C/H/R/S/Y C:\ D:\ > D:\LOGFILE.TXT

wat are dis

Dream Build: 

Pretty inconvenient to do when I have to move 120 GB worth of files with each folder being a max of 2 GB and minimum 30 MB. But I'll try.

well start out with large chunks of data, like 30 GB and move it until one wont move then try and move half of it, and if that doesn't work move the other half then try and move a quarter of it, and so on, narrow it down like this until you get to one file then just put it aside and move the rest of the drive

-Linus Sebastian

wat are dis

start command promp, change the drive letters to corresponding ones and you're good to go.  I think xcopy was even part of DOS and is part in every windows version.

The command I posted will copy everything from C: to D: and log every unreadable file in D:\LOGFILE.TXT

well start out with large chunks of data, like 30 GB and move it until one wont move then try and move half of it, and if that doesn't work move the other half then try and move a quarter of it, and so on, narrow it down like this until you get to one file then just put it aside and move the rest of the drive

Yeah, the problem is that none of the files are moving to this particular drive. I can move them to other drives just fine, but not the one my friend gave me  :(

Dream Build: 

start command promp, change the drive letters to corresponding ones and you're good to go.  I think xcopy was even part of DOS and is part in every windows version.

The command I posted will copy everything from C: to D: and log every unreadable file in D:\LOGFILE.TXT

It just shows "Invalid number of parameters"

Dream Build: 

Yeah, the problem is that none of the files are moving to this particular drive. I can move them to other drives just fine, but not the one my friend gave me  :(

oh...sorry then I tried, i'm not the best with this stuff anyway,. listen to Unknown_Guy he has a good idea.

-Linus Sebastian

It just shows "Invalid number of parameters"

Just did a test on my VM Win 7 and it works ok:

C:\>XCOPY /C/H/R/S/Y C:\Ruby187 c:\test > c:/test/cp.log

What's the exact command you are using?

XCOPY /C/H/R/S/Y F:\Spec Ops The Line E:\SOTL > D:\LOGFILE.TXT

Dream Build: 

Just did a test on my VM Win 7 and it works ok:

C:\>XCOPY /C/H/R/S/Y C:\Ruby187 c:\test > c:/test/cp.log

What's the exact command you are using?

XCOPY /C/H/R/S/Y F:\Spec Ops The Line E:\SOTL > D:\LOGFILE.TXT

Dream Build: 

Try with quotes

XCOPY /C/H/R/S/Y "F:\Spec Ops The Line" E:\SOTL > D:\LOGFILE.TXT

Try with quotes

XCOPY /C/H/R/S/Y "F:\Spec Ops The Line" E:\SOTL > D:\LOGFILE.TXT

That just froze my computer. Had to manually end "explorer.exe" and "conhost.exe"

Dream Build: 

That just froze my computer. Had to manually end "explorer.exe" and "conhost.exe"

But was it copying anything?

But was it copying anything?

nope

Dream Build: 

Move it to your own drive then and then to your friends drive. :P

nope

Interesting. Can you even copy anything to your friends drive? Is it NTFS formated? Although it would have already shouted loudly if  it's FAT.

I would take out one of HDD and put in PC and then try copying.

Move it to your own drive then and then to your friends drive. :P

Doesn't work.

Dream Build: 

Interesting. Can you even copy anything to your friends drive? Is it NTFS formated? Although it would have already shouted loudly if  it's FAT.

I would take out one of HDD and put in PC and then try copying.

It's NTFS formatted, though I have reformatted it a couple of times (but I didn't touch the settings). Yeah the problem is probably with the drive itself, as I just cannot copy anything to it (other than a song or 2).

Dream Build: 

It's NTFS formatted, though I have reformatted it a couple of times (but I didn't touch the settings). Yeah the problem is probably with the drive itself, as I just cannot copy anything to it (other than a song or 2).

Now I'm confused :D

Your Ext HDD has the data you want to copy. And it is broken. Right? And you can't copy anything much to it? That is - your friends HDD is fine and forking like a champ.

If that's the case. Then your ext HDD usb controller or what ever it's called might be the cause for this. Just get the HDD out of it and put in your PC. I had a WD external drive with broken usb controller that was not allowing to do anything on drive after a while and reconnecting the drive would be required. Few weeks later it started to show up as an 'Unidentified'.

Now I'm confused :D

Your Ext HDD has the data you want to copy. And it is broken. Right? And you can't copy anything much to it? That is - your friends HDD is fine and forking like a champ.

Neineineineinein.

My HDD is fine. It's my friend's HDD - the one I'm copying TO - that doesn't work. My HDD is the one I'm copying FROM.

Dream Build: