BIOS Update [UPDATE; SOLVED]

Hiya LTT community!

Okay...I want to try my luck, terrible as it is, by updating my BIOS. Why? Because I want to see if it helps me overclock a little further (stability issues when OC'ing). Only problem is MSI has a mess-ton of confusing instructions on how to update your BIOS. Some of them include USB file selection, USB bootable, Floppy disk (< fresh out of luck there) or using MSI Live Update. Google also showed me hundreds of different ways to do it, most of which dated to 2009 and back.

So I came here to ask, hoping I'd get a straight answer from some MSI board users here. I currently have a MSI Z87-G55, on its very first BIOS available. The websites for the BIOS can be found here:

http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z87G55.html

http://www.msi.com/support/mb/Z87G55.html#down-bios

Which option do I use that is the safest option? And is it at all possible to recover from a bad flash, like it is for PSPs etc etc? Unless you guys think updating for this purpose is a bad idea, then I suppose I'll just let it be.

Thanks for any help guys! :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Grab this

Format a USB stick to FAT32, put the file on it (obv unzip first ;) )

Boot into the BIOS with the USB stick inserted, go to the MFlash tab in the BIOS.

5b2d574b99cf4f08aedb92bd664e360a.png

Select 'Update BIOS' point to the file on your USB stick. (this process could also work if you just leave the file on the hardrive unzipped, I know ASUS boards do but because I don't have your board I'm giving you the USB method)

You could go into your BIOS and into MFLASH prior to preparing the USB stick and see if it lets you browse hard drives when you choose 'Update BIOS' if it does then you can update so long as you unzip the BIOS file and just leave it on the desktop or something. (what I do on my ASUS boards)

Win.

This is the method I use on all boards that have it, it's safe.

I woud recommend updating through the M-Flash feature in the BIOS. MSi LiveUpdate has a bad tendacy to brick boards.

What you do is this: 

1. Unpack the content of the downloaded .zip (I assume the board you linked is your board), unto a FAT32 formated USB drive.
  2. Then you restart you computer
  3. When it restarts, you spam ´Delete´ to ge into the BIOS.
  4. Then you navigate to M-Flash, and that should guide you the rest of the way

There is currently no way for a MSi board to recover from being bricked. I don't even think your board has dual BIOS chips, so screw up once and you have an expensive paperweight.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

MSi LiveUpdate has a bad tendacy to brick boards

I don't know why the software methods even exist to be honest, they're a pointless liability IMO.

Thanks guys!

Already far more help than the stupid websites. They should really update with clearer instructions through both websites...maybe with a video too. <_<

I don't think I can navigate my OS for the file @Askew. When I first got the board I clicked it and was going to update (had it on the computer) and it didn't ask me to navigate to the file that way. I was thinking it would be like Linux and I was to cd to the location or something. So wrong. :( That's when I first started to google it because I was unsure and then saw the many different methods all saying "don't do that" and decided to just leave the BIOS as it was. lol

Yea, if it bricks the board they should remove that option from MSI Live Update. I was updating my drivers the other day and almost installed the BIOS. Gave me such a heart attack. lol

If I unpack the rar/zip and go to M-Flash, which option do I select "Bios" or "Bios + ME"? Oh, and should I default my board with CMOS as well?

@Volbet

Yea, that's my board. :)

that's what I was worried about. I got a bricked PSP and flashed it back to health, was hoping the same was possible for motherboard bios. If something happens, would the warranty protect me? I mean the website claims all MSI boards have a 3 year warranty and I bought mine the beginning of this year from Newegg. If warranty doesn't protect against using their own updates that is really stupid... :lol:

How likely is it that something could go wrong? If the update is only several seconds long I would assume the risk is very minimal...

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Thanks guys!

Already far more help than the stupid websites. They should really update with clearer instructions through both websites...maybe with a video too. <_<

I don't think I can navigate my OS for the file @Askew. When I first got the board I clicked it and was going to update (had it on the computer) and it didn't ask me to navigate to the file that way. I was thinking it would be like Linux and I was to cd to the location or something. So wrong. :( That's when I first started to google it because I was unsure and then saw the many different methods all saying "don't do that" and decided to just leave the BIOS as it was. lol

Yea, if it bricks the board they should remove that option from MSI Live Update. I was updating my drivers the other day and almost installed the BIOS. Gave me such a heart attack. lol

If I unpack the rar/zip and go to M-Flash, which option do I select "Bios" or "Bios + ME"? Oh, and should I default my board with CMOS as well?

@Volbet

Yea, that's my board. :)

that's what I was worried about. I got a bricked PSP and flashed it back to health, was hoping the same was possible for motherboard bios. If something happens, would the warranty protect me? I mean the website claims all MSI boards have a 3 year warranty and I bought mine the beginning of this year from Newegg. If warranty doesn't protect against using their own updates that is really stupid... :lol:

How likely is it that something could go wrong? If the update is only several seconds long I would assume the risk is very minimal...

I have no idea what ´BIOS+ME´ means, but you could always try it. M-Flash will stop you if you are doing it wrong. 

The warranty won't cover, since it's your own fault. The warranty only covers problems that the manufacture is to blame for. 

If you don't have a problem with power outages where you live, it is completly safe. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

which option do I select "Bios" or "Bios + ME"?

BIOS + ME

Wouldn't bother defaulting the board, I never do it.

BIOS flashes take a matter of seconds so risk of brick is low.

I will add that I personally dislike MSI's documentation on things as it's often poorly written IMO, I'm an ASUS kiddy who occasionally cheers for Gigabyte (I'm strictly talking motherboards for that last part)

@Askew

Alright then! I guess I'll just take the risk. If someone happens at least it wasn't the more expensive part that became paperweight. :lol:

I'll be back in a minute to report if it was successful or not.

edit

wait, extracting it  brings up a folder. Do I keep the folder in root or just drag the files inside the folder to root?

I have no idea what ´BIOS+ME´ means, but you could always try it. M-Flash will stop you if you are doing it wrong. 

The warranty won't cover, since it's your own fault. The warranty only covers problems that the manufacture is to blame for. 

If you don't have a problem with power outages where you live, it is completly safe. 

That sucks. What kind of company doesn't give a warranty against their own updates? I mean it is still their product being hit with something they created. Why else does the BIOS auto backup the previous BIOS? lol

Oh if you are wondering about it, its an option when I select "Update BIOS". It is a drop down box that looks like this:

BBIOS.png

Only issues I had with power was when a storm hit and that's very rare. So if it turns off during a flash God has humor. :lol:

Do I keep the folder in root or just drag the files inside the folder to root?

I'd keep the folder in root and see if it works, if not just boot back and pull the files to root.

MSI functions are such a PITA compared to ASUS lol, with my board you just download the file, unzip on desktop, boot into BIOS and 2 clicks for EZ update to find it, do everything and boot windows again. :)

I'd keep the folder in root and see if it works, if not just boot back and pull the files to root.

MSI functions are such a PITA compared to ASUS lol, with my board you just download the file, unzip on desktop, boot into BIOS and 2 clicks for EZ update to find it, do everything and boot windows again. :)

Okay, I checked. I had to take the files to root, no folder.

I did the BIOS + ME option and fifty-seven seconds in the computer rebooted without a warning and I thought something went wrong. But, it reported update successful! I forgot to check to see if the version name changed while I was in BIOS but I'll see if I can find it in CPU-Z or something.

But, to update, update successful! Thank God I didn't follow the site instructions or the USB thing. Who knows where I'd be right now...

Thanks guys! :D

Okay, I checked. I had to take the files to root, no folder.

I did the BIOS + ME option and fifty-seven seconds in the computer rebooted without a warning and I thought something went wrong. But, it reported update successful! I forgot to check to see if the version name changed while I was in BIOS but I'll see if I can find it in CPU-Z or something.

But, to update, update successful! Thank God I didn't follow the site instructions or the USB thing. Who knows where I'd be right now...

Thanks guys! :D

np bud :)