Intel Pentium G3220 Review and Actual Overclocking

Has anyone heard of an overclockable Pentium G3220? No? Well, neither had I until I overclocked mine. In this review I am mostly going to concentrate on the overclocking side of things, since there are so many reviews of this exact processor not only in the web, but also here on the LTT forum. Also there is nothing much to say about it other than that it is cheap and has crappy onboard graphics. 

So long story short, last week I was forced to buy a processor for my LAN rig since the one, which I won from Intel is not going to be sent to me... 

The specs of the LAN rig are: 

- CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 - Obviously :D

- Cooler: Corsair H80 with one Cooler Master SickleFlow 120mm fan running at 1200RPM (pull)

- MBO: ASUS Maximus IV Impact Z87

- RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Blu 1333MHz

- GPU: ASUS MARS GTX 760x2

- PSU: Corsair CS550M 80+ Gold

- SSD: Crucial M5 120GB

- Case: Fractal Design Node 304

Ok, so having said that, the most any other reviewer was able to get this processor to is from 3.00GHz, which is its base clock to 3.09GHz, which is its turbo frequency. I was able to get my Pentium G3220 to run up to 3.21GHz, which is quite remarkable. You can see the images down below for more info on temperatures after the stress test, which took a little over 8h. The voltage which I used was 1.2V. Min and Max temps are below in the image.

For the overclocking itself, I used the exact same procedure as if the processor was unlocked, however I used the BLCK frequency to achieve my overclock. I have also enabled the Internal PLL Voltage, LLC is set to 5 out of 8, the Multiplier is set to Sync all Cores at 30 and the BLCK is set to 107.

Interestingly, however I am not able to pass this 3.21GHz threshold. It seems that the processors BLCK overclocking capabilities are artificially locked somehow. Note that I have only spent a few hours overclocking, because of my lack of time. Perhaps on Sunday, when I finally have a day off work I can dive into the BIOS again and continue with the tinkering. 

Please also check the images, which I have provided below. In addition to the temperatures and stability test I have also provided Cinebench R15 scores, before and after the overclock. Once again, the cooler, which I use is a Corsair H80 with one Cooler Master SickleFlow 120mm fan running at 1200RPM.

IgyovHU.png

xWUEPt9.png

Ikzb0I3.png

Mvd60RH.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

You put a GTX 760x2 Mars with a g3220? Bottleneck much?

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600x | GPU GIGABYTE GTX 1070ti WINDFORCE | MOBO ASUS Prime X570-P | MEMORY XPG Spectrix 2x8GB 3200MHz  | PSU OCZ Zx 850W | CASE NZXT H440

Nice review.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

You put a GTX 760x2 Mars with a g3220? Bottleneck much?

The MARS is from my other PC, I just decided to use also here, since I never need both computers at the same time, one of them is obviously for traveling. I bough the Pentium, cause I had no money and was in a rush. I was leaving and I badly needed a processor for my traveling rig. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

The MARS is from my other PC, I just decided to use also here, since I never need both computers at the same time, since one of them is obviously for traveling. I bough the Pentium, cause I had no money and was in a rush. I was leaving and I badly needed a processor for my traveling rig. 

Ah makes sense

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600x | GPU GIGABYTE GTX 1070ti WINDFORCE | MOBO ASUS Prime X570-P | MEMORY XPG Spectrix 2x8GB 3200MHz  | PSU OCZ Zx 850W | CASE NZXT H440

Interesting build :P how loud is fan?

I can't hear it actually. It's extremely quiet! I am very happy with it. :)

Is this processor any good for gaming? Would it bottleneck a GPU even when highly overclocked?

Is this processor any good for gaming? Would it bottleneck a GPU even when highly overclocked?

Theres no reason to get those over the new 20th anniversary pentium, which over clocks like a champ. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Couldn't have gotten the New Unlocked Pentium? 

Patience is a virtue, a virtue that few people actually have. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Couldn't you have gotten the New Unlocked Pentium? 

I could, however, this is far cheaper and I was in a hurry. So my answer is no. :D

The plan is to buy a 4690K when I get back home from my summer job and make a nice key chain out of this CPU, because in my opinion, this is the only thing that it can do! :D

No, this processor is sh*t for gaming. Please don't buy it. I got it, because I had no cash to spare and I badly needed something cheap, which fits in my motherboard. Also this Pentium usually does not overclock. I haven't seen anyone who has managed to overclock it besides me. 

I could, however, this is far cheaper and I was in a hurry. So my answer is no. :D

The plan is to buy a 4690K when I get back home from my summer job and make a nice key chain out of this CPU, because in my opinion, this is the only thing that it can do! :D

I am sure you could sell it make some money out of it, it's good for a Nas or home theatre computer. Easily put an Intel cpu to good use ;)