ASUS GTX 660 constantly crashing.

I am at I complete loss. I don't know what to do anymore.

Every time I just want to PLAY A GAME my Kernal Display Drivers crash and shut down the game before it even finishes loading.

I have REINSTALLED EVERYTHING, DONE A FACTORY RESTORE, GOT A NEW OS, DONE AN RMA, AND NOTHING HAS FIXED THE ISSUE.

I don't really have much to say, what more should I say I've done?

Specs:

Windows 7 64 bit

8 gigs ram Sniper g.Skill

AMD Phenom II 965 4 core 3.4ghz

Corsair TX 650

GA-78LMT-S2

Incase PS is issue: 2 200mm colorshift fans, and 2 120 mm., one is blue LED.

Everything is fully updated.

Nothing has ever heated past 61 C.

No virsuses, crashes happened IMEDIATELY after I got my card back after an RMA.

Last card crash insanely like 40x more frequently even after a full restore/new OS.

Back up card this whole time: Radeon HD 6570. It's NEVER crashed, never had ANY issues what so ever in any way.

Honestly, should I just get AMD? Is this really the Nvidia expierence? Or is it something else? I'm honestly getting extremely frustrated at this, I've contacted Nvidia before my last RMA and they said it's most likely a defective card.

IS IT POSSIBLE I GOT 3 DEFECTIVE CARDS IN A COMPLETE ROW?

What about non-gaming, but intensive things like Mining or folding?

Compatible with Windows 95

I don't do mining at all, and don't know what is folding.

It has crashed on web browsers though, IE, Firefox, and Google Chrome have all crashed it, Chrome crashing it the most.

It's also crashed on Skype.

Want to also say it'll for some reason run Crysis 2 randomly just fine at max without struggle nor crashing, and soemtimes it'll have a massive crashing spree. Some games it won't even ever play once.

Can you borrow another card from a friend to check if it is the GPU that is the problem.

Have you run Memtest86?

Have you run CPU tests?

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

It has crashed on web browsers though, IE, Firefox, and Google Chrome have all crashed it, Chrome crashing it the most.

I know that you are new on this forum so Welcome!

Just as a piece of advice though, please quote people when you want them to respond as it will give them a notification rather than having to keep the tab open and refreshing it.

Can you borrow another card from a friend to check if it is the GPU that is the problem.

Have you run Memtest86?

Have you run CPU tests?

I have a Radeon HD 6570 as a back up, it has never had issues in any way. I have done CPU tests, but not CPU. Card has never crashed on a benchmark.

I know that you are new on this forum so Welcome!

Just as a piece of advice though, please quote people when you want them to respond as it will give them a notification rather than having to keep the tab open and refreshing it.

Oh, my bad! Sorry, so much on the mind.

What about non-gaming, but intensive things like Mining or folding?

Want to also say it'll for some reason run Crysis 2 randomly just fine at max without struggle nor crashing, and soemtimes it'll have a massive crashing spree. Some games it won't even ever play once.

EDIT: Jesus I'm derping hard.

I have a Radeon HD 6570 as a back up, it has never had issues in any way. I have done CPU tests, but not CPU. Card has never crashed on a benchmark.

I encourage you to download memtest86 and burn it to a usb or disc and run that to test your RAM. Although unlikely it may be a RAM problem. It is also possible that you got SUPER unlucky and got another dud GPU.

I encourage you to download memtest86 and burn it to a usb or disc and run that to test your RAM. Although unlikely it may be a RAM problem. It is also possible that you got SUPER unlucky and got another dud GPU.

It can't be the RAM, I should of also said this happened even with my old RAM.

(I use to have Windows 32 bit with 4 gigs RAM, and upgraded to windows 7 64 bit and got 8 gigs RAM) Crashing was always there.

EDIT: I was putting up with the card for a long time, and was hoping the new OS would fix it.

I'm honestly gonna move on to AMD if this can't be fixed, I'm done trying to RMA it.

EDIT 2: I might put the GPU in a friend's PC to see what happens.

It can't be the RAM, I should of also said this happened even with my old RAM.

(I use to have Windows 32 bit with 4 gigs RAM) and upgraded to windows 7 64 bit 8 gigs RAM. Crashing was always there.

ok, good to know.

I have to go now, I'll try to think about it over the day.

UPDATE:

I can't get a ride to his house.

And the crad started to crash RAPIDLY, it would flicker the black screen over and over constantly spawning the same error message over and over.

ok, good to know.

I have to go now, I'll try to think about it over the day.

So I've tried it on his PC, it crashed rapidly.

So it's in NO WAY my rig. And it can't be that his PSU or anything is too weak, he runs a card that's almost 2x stronger.

So I guess it's just I got another defetcive card. This honestly turned me away HEAVILY from Nvidia. I'm gonna try moving to AMD.

Which, surprise, he's using AMD and never had issues. And funny thing is, after he installed Nvidia drivers it screwed up his PC hard, he had to do a restore. He told me I should just simply sell it.

So I've tried it on his PC, it crashed rapidly.

So it's in NO WAY my rig. And it can't be that his PSU or anything is too weak, he runs a card that's almost 2x stronger.

So I guess it's just I got another defetcive card. This honestly turned me away HEAVILY from Nvidia. I'm gonna try moving to AMD.

Which, surprise, he's using AMD and never had issues. And funny thing is, after he installed Nvidia drivers it screwed up his PC hard, he had to do a restore. He told me I should just simply sell it.

You don't want to sell it as it is definitely faulty but what you could do is complain to the place you bought it from and demand a refund instead of a replacement card. They sold you a dud card and then they gave you another one.

You don't want to sell it as it is definitely faulty but what you could do is complain to the place you bought it from and demand a refund instead of a replacement card. They sold you a dud card and then they gave you another one.

Right, I can sell all my other old PC parts, they're working fine.

But, to make a long story short, I worked up some money to get the AMD Radeon 290 (or 290x? I forget which now) and my Mum decided on Christmas to pitch in money to do so, so I let her handle the money I was willing to use, and hers. But, that's probably where I made the mistake, because she bought it off of Ebay, of all places it had to be Ebay. Ever since then it's been absaloute hell with 660s after 660s. I tried getting a refund when the first one turned out defective, but yay, the guy, sorry.. "company" she bought it from whiped itself from the plane of existence.

So nor efund is possible. And I can't get a working card from ASUS because they keep sending me more defective cards after another.

Is there maybe SOMETHING else I can do with this card? It's pretty much worth less than a pile of dirt at this point.

Right, I can sell all my other old PC parts, they're working fine.

But, to make a long story short, I worked up some money to get the AMD Radeon 290 (or 290x? I forget which now) and my Mum decided on Christmas to pitch in money to do so, so I let her handle the money I was willing to use, and hers. But, that's probably where I made the mistake, because she bought it off of Ebay, of all places it had to be Ebay. Ever since then it's been absaloute hell with 660s after 660s. I tried getting a refund when the first one turned out defective, but yay, the guy, sorry.. "company" she bought it from whiped itself from the plane of existence.

So nor efund is possible. And I can't get a working card from ASUS because they keep sending me more defective cards after another.

Is there maybe SOMETHING else I can do with this card? It's pretty much worth less than a pile of dirt at this point.

You could try and bake it.

Take any plastic bits off of it (heatsink and so forth), turn an oven to around 200 degrees Celsius, chuck the card into it for 10 mins.

Honestly though that is a process for old cards when the soldering on them is cracking, not for brand new cards where the soldering is probably fine. The best thing to do is send a clearly angry but not abusive complaint to Asus and have them send you a new card. They SHOULD have to send you a card that is not faulty, you have just been SERIOUSLY unlucky. Asus are pretty good with customer service and their cards are great. it is probably only about 0.01% that are actually defective.

If you bake the card it will DEFINITELY not have warranty anymore. Send them an angry email, follow their instructions and then sell the card if you want afterwards but you should RMA it again.

Do you still have the AMD drivers installed when you're trying to run the GTX 660? Because, they dont play nice together, you need to completely remove all AMD drivers.

Completely wipe your hard drive, reinstall drivers, USE THE CORRECT OLDEST VERSION THAT CAN RUN NEWER GAMES. Bake the card, install the 32 bit OS, update the motherboard drivers. Flash the thing, DO ANYTHING....

Do you still have the AMD drivers installed when you're trying to run the GTX 660? Because, they dont play nice together, you need to completely remove all AMD drivers.

I have, I've installed my GTX 660 on a full restore/new OS, issue persisted.

Completely wipe your hard drive, reinstall drivers, USE THE CORRECT OLDEST VERSION THAT CAN RUN NEWER GAMES. Bake the card, install the 32 bit OS, update the motherboard drivers. Flash the thing, DO ANYTHING....

As I said, new OS, nothing else was in there, Nvidia drivers and Window updates were LITTERALY my only DLs, didn't even get a better browser than IE yet so I know for sure it couldn't of been something I DL'd.

And I've also tested it on another friend's PC, card crashed just as bad, and the Nvidia drivers actually fucked over his PC hard, because Nvidia tries imposing so hard with their drivers.

Guess I should just settle that ASUS has been handing me defective products 2 times in a row (First card, as said, from Ebay, 2 other cards were RMA resuilts)

My friend who's a wiz at PCs, a techy, and even Nvidia themselves (contacted them with live chat) said it seems like defective cards.

So I've decided to give up on the cards, especialy ASUS products, probably unfair judgement, but honestly I just want the issues gone, I'm tired of dealing with so much BS and having this stacked on it since christmas.