How to fix a 0xc0000034 error on my MSI GE60 windows 8 laptop without losing all my data?

After I hibernated my computer and turned it on later, this error appeared

------------------------------------------------------------------

Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired

The Boot Configuration Data is missing some required information.

File:\BCD

Error Code: 0xc0000034

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media (like a disk or USB device), contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not have a Windows 8 disk, but will get one if required. Also, after checking the UEFI firmware settings twice, one to check and the other to put in on the 'optimal settings', I don't seem to be able to do so anymore. There is also no reliable computer repair store here in Batam, but I shall check in Singapore on Wednesday of this week, 2 days after this message.

I have read about others who have fixed this issue without losing all their data, and would like to do the same, or at least most of my data. Is there any way to back up the data in this state?

Any further information in this matter is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Simple, get a windows 8.1 cd or usb, boot on it and  select "repair my computer", you should find your way there

Edit: If your computer has windows 8 intalled with uefi you shouldn't need to get a cd/usb but boot into the recovery partition created on install, I believe it's F9 on boot.

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

This error happened to me after cloning my desktop SSD windows installation to a 2.5" HDD but somehow the software messed it up and after rebooting, my BCD was missing on both my 2.5" HDD and SSD.

I somehow managed to fix it on my desktop SSD through numerous tutorials and forum posts that I found on Google and after an hour or two in the windows installer on my USB using nothing but command prompt and diskpart I managed to get the windows installation on the SSD booting again.

However I could not replicate the results onto the cloned HDD installation and after a few hours I gave up and just reinstalled windows on it.

I think you may need to recreate the BCD on your drive using diskpart in command prompt on a windows installation media.

§ ragedev.net §