Is RAID 1 the best option?

Go to solution Solved by roberto++,

In your situation, if the drive is acting up, and files are still accessible use clone software. Do not use raid, it is not made to run in this manner.

Use a hard drive clone software, such as CloneZilla or the provided clone software from your hard drive manufacturer. eg. if you purchase a WD HDD, you are able to use their provided clone software on the WD support page.

Using a clone tool will keep your operating system intact with your files, keep in mind that cloning tools require a drive equal or greater in size to properly clone both os and files.

If cloning does not work, use a backup software to grab your files, eg. AOMEI, Acronis True Image 2014, there are more out there, I don't have extensive knowledge of every backup program out there.

I've just received all the parts for my new PC build today, except for the RAM, and one of the parts is a new hard drive, because my other Toshiba one occasionally makes weird noises when the computer first starts up. It's not the tell-tale noise that is produced when a drive is just about to die, but it worries me somewhat. It's something like an rrrrng rrrrng noise. Would RAID 1 be the best way to get all the files on the new one, so that in case the Toshiba dies, the new one can still keep all my files and the OS?

I've just received all the parts for my new PC build today, except for the RAM, and one of the parts is a new hard drive, because my other Toshiba one occasionally makes weird noises when the computer first starts up. It's not the tell-tale noise that is produced when a drive is just about to die, but it worries me somewhat. It's something like an rrrrng rrrrng noise. Would RAID 1 be the best way to get all the files on the new one, so that in case the Toshiba dies, the new one can still keep all my files and the OS?

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Question being asked is somewhat murky to me. With RAID you need 2 of the exact same HD's, and by your description it sounds like your trying to match up your old hd with the new one? Please clarify. 

In the event that you purchased 2 brand new HD's. Easiest way is to run the 2 new HDD's in RAID 1, install a new copy of whatever OS your using, then transfer the other files off your old HDD and use it as extra storage maybe. 

In your situation, if the drive is acting up, and files are still accessible use clone software. Do not use raid, it is not made to run in this manner.

Use a hard drive clone software, such as CloneZilla or the provided clone software from your hard drive manufacturer. eg. if you purchase a WD HDD, you are able to use their provided clone software on the WD support page.

Using a clone tool will keep your operating system intact with your files, keep in mind that cloning tools require a drive equal or greater in size to properly clone both os and files.

If cloning does not work, use a backup software to grab your files, eg. AOMEI, Acronis True Image 2014, there are more out there, I don't have extensive knowledge of every backup program out there.

Use the quote or multiquote, for faster responses \/ \/

Thanks a lot! I don't really know a lot about hard drives, so this was very helpful!

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.