AMD Reportedly Launching Volcanic Islands GPUs in 2013 [Update 21/05 - May have been false Info]

Update : May have been false information  - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13661-amd-reportedly-launching-volcanic-islands-gpus-in-2013-updated-with-rumored-specs/page-3#entry211837

WCCFtech reports that AMD may be launching the Volanic Islands 20nm GPUs (?HD8000) sometime this year. This news is based off an interview Rage3D had with AMD's Jim Keller and Chekib Akrout

Hit up the source link for more info.

Snippet:

AMD 20nm Volcanic Islands GPUs in 2013?

This could be huge news if true for AMD fans and could possibly provide a hint at the late launch of the much anticipated Radeon HD 8000 series GPUs. It was hinted by various techsites that the launch wasn’t planned to be late but it was delayed instead. The new VI (Volcanic Islands) GPU’s would be manufactured on a 20nm Gate-Last process through either TSMC or Common Platform Alliance.

“The next generation of graphics cards – Volcanic Islands – is coming this year and shaping up nicely. When you name products after places, it leads to interesting thoughts about where to hold events surrounding that namesake product. Typically places that are cheap to get travel to internationally for a worldwide congregation are preferred, so I’m off to renew my passport on the off chance I’m headed to Reykjavik later this summer. But I sure as hell wouldn’t complain about being sent to Honolulu, either.” Rage3D

Read more: http://wccftech.com/amd-reportedly-launching-volcanic-islands-hd-8000-series-gpus-2013/#ixzz2SV3YMxhk

Source - http://wccftech.com/amd-reportedly-launching-volcanic-islands-hd-8000-series-gpus-2013/

Update : Rumored specs in post #16 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13661-amd-reportedly-launching-volcanic-islands-gpus-in-2013-updated-with-rumored-specs/#entry156723

Update : May have been false information  - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13661-amd-reportedly-launching-volcanic-islands-gpus-in-2013-updated-with-rumored-specs/page-3#entry211837

Hmm i find this hard to beleive with the whole them being busy with consoles i dont think they have the time nor the resources to have a new line of gpu.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Hmm i find this hard to beleive with the whole them being busy with consoles i dont think they have the time nor the resources to have a new line of gpu.

Well they have an entirely different division for that.. they even made it an officially separate service a couple of days back - http://www.pcworld.com/article/2037040/amd-thinks-beyond-pcs-with-new-custom-chip-business-unit.html

Well they have an entirely different division for that.. they even made it an officially separate service a couple of days back - http://www.pcworld.com/article/2037040/amd-thinks-beyond-pcs-with-new-custom-chip-business-unit.html

ya but still most of there money is going into that and they still have to make there current stuff i dont think they have the time, resources, and money to do this. but hopefully they prove me wrong i just dont see it happening

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

I was gonna say there is no way that they would have devoted the entire company to the PS4 and Xbox 720 with the 700 series from nvidia rumored to be around the corner.

you are a doctor who fan arent you (sorry to get off topic)

you are a doctor who fan arent you (sorry to get off topic)

Oh yea.. looking for a great Dalek Exterminate! avatar... 

sorry for the off-topic reply too mod if you're seeing this.

Now back on-topic.. I really hope they release a statement about whatever product they have lined up next. Will be building a haswell machine soon and so far 770 if decently priced seems like the best choice for me..

This year should be interesting.

well that would be just lovely. since I upgraded to a 7870 two months ago :angry:

XEON 1230 v2 / AMD R9 280x / 8GB DDR3 / Adata XPG SX900 256GB SSD / Corsair 300R Side Window / Corsair CX500M / Corsair M65 Green

well that would be just lovely. since I upgraded to a 7870 two months ago :angry:

I purchased a 7950 a week ago  :(

I purchased a 7950 a week ago  :(

Remember guys, it is not definite yet.

I'll be interested to see the die size of it :P

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Remember guys, it is not definite yet.

that is why I wrote "would"  ;)

XEON 1230 v2 / AMD R9 280x / 8GB DDR3 / Adata XPG SX900 256GB SSD / Corsair 300R Side Window / Corsair CX500M / Corsair M65 Green

For those of you that just purchased R7XXX units, don't be disappointed!  You most assuredly got what you paid for and then some.  If you hold out for the Volcano you'll be waiting at least another quarter if not two.  Then, you'll be paying a higher price point just because it's newer.  Your $ for efficiency was better spent on what you just purchased.  Getting my MSI R7970 OC Boost Edition today....paid $390.00 for it so I'm jazzed about it.

My Stuff:  Corsair Obisidan 550D - Phobya Nano-2G 120mm x 5 - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming - Intel 3570K - G.Skill 8GBx2 1866 - EVGA ACX GTX 780 3GB SuperClocked(Step Up to 780 Ti) - Samsung 840 500GB SSD - WD Black 1TB x 2 - LG Blu-ray - ASUS VG248QE + ASUS PB278Q - Corsair M65 with MM400 Pad - Ducky Shine II MX Brown with Gray/White Keycaps - Corsair K70 MX Red - CoolerMaster Quickfire TK MX Brown - Ducky Pro2 MX Blue with Gray PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Clears with Gray/Blue PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Browns with Light Gray and White PBT Keycaps

WCCFTech just reported that a member over at the chiphell forums allegedly has the volcanic island specs.

Source - http://wccftech.com/rumoramd-volcanic-islands-20nm-hawaii-gpu-architecture-leaked-512bit-memory-4096-stream-processors/

AMD Volcanic Islands “Hawaii” Architecture:

AMD-Volcanic-Islands.jpg

AMD Southern Islands “Tahiti” Architecture:

AMD-GCN-635x609.png

As you can see.. If this is true.. this is huge!! almost a 2x increase over the 7970 Ghz edition. Lets keep our fingers crossed for an early release..

post-16180-0-45911400-1367990972.png

• post-16180-0-45911400-1367990972.png

That's... A bit on the insane side. They're basically going for an almost 100% increase over the span of 2 years. Not only would that be a big and thirsty chip, but it'd destroy every card on the market today. Not just beat a Titan, but beat it with ease.

lets hope this is true and then we will need them to bring the cpu to match

Spoiler

CPU: i5-6600k MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2800Mhz 15-15-15-35, GPU: Sapphire R9 290 SSD: Samsung 840 250GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2, Cooling: EK supremecy EVO ,EK-FC R9 290X with backplate, XSPC EX240 Crossflow & Alphacool UT60 240mm, XSPC D5 Bayres w/ Alphacool VPP655, 7/16-5/8 Compressions/Tubing, Noctua NF-F12 x4 PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 http://valid.x86.fr/8g2m02

any news about amd is good news ;)

That's... A bit on the insane side. They're basically going for an almost 100% increase over the span of 2 years. Not only would that be a big and thirsty chip, but it'd destroy every card on the market today. Not just beat a Titan, but beat it with ease.

A potentially powerful chip in the making.

wat? why reduce the compute units by half? that doesn't even make sense to me. am i missing something?

wat? why reduce the compute units by half? that doesn't even make sense to me. am i missing something?

Stream processors are arranged in compute units, so with fewer compute units each will have more stream processors (4 times more).

It doesn't affect performance negatively at all, it just helps make binning easier.