Tax relief for UK game industry

Oshino Shinobu

So, the UK gaming industry is going to be getting some tax relief. It will relieve 25% on up to 80% of a game's production budget, which is quite a bit. The games will have to pass a cultural test though, meaning that the game will need to promote British culture and have a set amount of it set in the UK or another European Economic area.

It's really nice to see the gaming industry getting some attention and positive action, even if it does require some pretty specific conditions. Hopefully this will lead to game developers being able to create better games due to the reduced costs. Also hoping that it will lead to more games being set in the UK. I like playing games in areas that I'm familiar with. 

Source: http://www.kitguru.net/channel/generaltech/matthew-wilson/tax-breaks-for-uk-gaming-industry-approved/

The games will have to pass a cultural test though, meaning that the game will need to promote British culture and have a set amount of it set in the UK or another European Economic area.

How many games you want to bet will start taking place in Europe? Really though, that's rather arbitrary. Video games don't exist to teach people about things they can learn from a brochure. It's a means of artistic expression.

Okay, cool, enjoy your tax relief, whoever happens to have a game that's set in London for five minutes.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

How many games you want to bet will start taking place in Europe? Really though, that's rather arbitrary. Video games don't exist to teach people about things they can learn from a brochure. It's a means of artistic expression.

Okay, cool, enjoy your tax relief, whoever happens to have a game that's set in London for five minutes.

I don't think it will be too many, but it's still quite good to see. The gaming industry tends to get a lot of flack from the government and such, but this seems like they're starting to have a more positive view. 

I would love to have Mirror's Edge set in the UK, but it wouldn't benefit from the tax relief ):

I would love to have Mirror's Edge set in the UK, but it wouldn't benefit from the tax relief ):

A story about a rebel living in a police state that censors freedom of expression through taking place in the UK? I somehow think that the government wouldn't appreciate that (even if it's true).

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

Let's hope this convinces criterion to make a new burnout.

I don't think it will be too many, but it's still quite good to see. The gaming industry tends to get a lot of flack from the government and such, but this seems like they're starting to have a more positive view. 

Mirror's Edge in the UK, it would have to add dynamic weather aka rain rain and more rain, oh how do i love how dry england is. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Come on Rockstar, ya know GTA London would go down like it should.

GTA%20London%201969%20indir.jpg

On a serious note though the tax relief is a small percentage on a small market with a pretty big ask.

Maybe GTA will return to London again!

Doubt GTA would get approved for this ): GTA could technically be eligible for the tax relief seeing as it's developed in the UK, but It's published by Rockstar's multinational division which is based in New York, so I'm not too sure.  

EDIT: Same thing to @Askew (: