Best future proof CPU/Mobo combo

I'm really confused and cant find a solution to my first pc build. So i was set and ready to get a Asus Rampage IV extreme EATX LGA2011 Motherboard with 3930k intel processor. However after few searches I'm not sure whether i should wait for the 4770k or 3770k, or wait for 4960k cpu. Keep in mind this built is mainly for gaming, that why i thought i should go for 3770k, but as i said I'm basically very new to this.

If you need it right now, go with a 3570K or 3770K and a nice mobo (120-150$). Otherwise wait for Haswell.

If you're looking for future proof-ness, you'd be better off looking at an AMD solution.  AMD tends to re-use their sockets for several generations (I believe we're at AM3 right now) as opposed to Intel, which changes up their sockets seemingly every generation.  And as with any computing purchase, if you need it now, then buy it now, there's no sense continuously waiting for the next best thing.

Well all the CPUs listed by you are already expensive enough. I mean if you have the money go for it. An i7 3770K is perfect for gaming. Then again for future proofing the 3960X 6 core would be even better. The i7 is already so much more powerful that you wouldn't have to get any of the new generation intel cpus. Of course imo.

If you're looking for future proof-ness, you'd be better off looking at an AMD solution.  AMD tends to re-use their sockets for several generations (I believe we're at AM3 right now) as opposed to Intel, which changes up their sockets seemingly every generation.  And as with any computing purchase, if you need it now, then buy it now, there's no sense continuously waiting for the next best thing.

AM3+

either get a LGA2011 board and a CPU because this line is still waiting for the Ivy bridge CPUs and who know even haswell will be on the same Socket. 

or a AM3+ CPU and motherboard because i dont think AMD will move to a new socket any time soon. 

there is no future proofing with pc's

just buy a 150$ Board+3570k. wenn Haswell comes out buy a 4570k+ new board. you can do this 5-6 generations befor you spend as much as you would on a a Asus Rampage IV extreme + 3930k. Its just a waste of money, and with the 4570k or the 5570k the 2011platform will lock like crap

Getting an am3+ board with a 8350 is the most upgradable and will also get you great performance. You will get the next amd upgrade which will bring serious performance improvements (I think I remember amd talking about 20% or something like that).

I don't generally look for future proofing in a motherboard's future CPU support.  I look for things like PCI express slots in case I decide to go SLI, or 4 RAM slots in case I need to drop in another 2x4GB of RAM later, or extra SATA connectors in case I get more hard drives... But I don't think it's useful to say "well what future CPUs could this board support", in my opinion it's just better to get a CPU that will last for a long time.  The obsolescence cycles on CPUs are much slower than say graphics cards, you don't get a CPU and then a year later it's outdated and you need to get the next one.  Even first gen Intel Core processors are able to handle modern games fine, and we're about to move on to the fourth generation now.  By the time your CPU is outdated the newest CPUs will probably use another socket no matter what you had.  It's pretty rare someone upgrades their CPU without upgrading their board.  I guess some Phenom II owners may have upgraded to the FX-8350 or something, but I don't recommend jumping on the AMD wagon now; the AM3/AM3+ platform has been around for a very long time now, I'm expecting to see AM4 in the next year or two.  You'd be investing in the AM3+ platform pretty late in its life cycle.  

If you really want it now, get a 3570k and a P8Z77-V LK board if you plan to use this for gaming. You don't need a 3770k for gaming.  If not, just wait for Haswell because it is being released soon.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer