AMD VCE vs APP optimized encoding

AMD recently made their VCE open source, VCE being a video encoding engine they developed, which is meant for gpu accelerated video encoding.

there's also APP which has been out for the longest time which allows developers to use the GPU for lots of other tasks, and there are some programs out there that use APP for acceleration like media espresso while ArcSoft media converter is VCE optimized as well as APP optimized to my understanding.

I happen to do a lot of video transcoding on a regular basis but it always takes me a while for a really good encode and my past experience with gpu accelerated encodes looked like garbage (late 2012)

I'm thinking now it's time to try again and see how things are a little more than a year later

I can't however find detailed info or comparisons between VCE results and APP results, in particular I'm interested in knowing which optimization will work faster and which will have the least artifacting.

I expect some loss between encodes and especially when I cut the bitrate like I do but last time I tried gpu accelerated encoding it was worse than if I'd just recorded it with a cell phone camera even when put on higher quality settings and much larger bitrates for the same resolution

I understand VCE is for newer amd cards, and that nvidia also has cuda available which is more widely supported (supposedly?)

I might be convinced to buy new hardware if cuda transcoding is fast enough or if some other hardware + software can do it fast enough like looping my feed through a capture card or external recording system

really any help in just speeding up my transcoding would be much appreciated, I've already optimized various programs to the fastest settings I'm comfortable with in terms of how much quality I'm willing to lose for said speed and it's still nowhere near as fast as I'd like it to be.

as to software I'm currently familiar with the related adobe products, handbrake, meda coder, media converter, media espresso, super, and others

as to hardware amd phenom2 940 (quad core OC'd to 4.2ghz) a couple fpga's an old radeon 4850(if somehow I could use it with my new GPU though it's no longer in case just pointing out it's available), and a new amd r9 290

I may also have an old workstation graphics card laying around somewhere but it'd be older than the 4850

6gb ddr2, and 6tb of storage

Spoiler

CPU: TR3960x enermax 360 AIO Mobo: Aorus Master RAM: 128gb ddr4 trident z royal PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w GPU: 5700xt, 5500xt, rx590 Case: c700p black edition Display: Asus MG279Q ETC: Living the VM life many accessories as needed Storage: My personal cluster is now over 100tb!

GGG AMD for making their stuff open source.

Your turn, @xrex64

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

I also just thought about other spare parts

I could probably build a rig, and I've done local server systems before

could I do a virtualized machine with all the cores from all systems and render through that?

anyone done that before?

Spoiler

CPU: TR3960x enermax 360 AIO Mobo: Aorus Master RAM: 128gb ddr4 trident z royal PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w GPU: 5700xt, 5500xt, rx590 Case: c700p black edition Display: Asus MG279Q ETC: Living the VM life many accessories as needed Storage: My personal cluster is now over 100tb!

GGG AMD for making their stuff open source.

Your turn, @xrex64

If you bring me into your AMD fanboism one more time, I swear...

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

anyone have any info on apu transcodes compared to standard cpu encodes?

Spoiler

found apu  vs cpu transcode over on tomshardware and basically no significant advantage to be noted there

which is unfortunate because I was really hoping that the graphics capabilities could be leveraged for faster transcoding

I'm still looking for any other information out there to speed up my transcoding though

Spoiler

• 1 year later...

Hi, I have been looking for openCl optimized apps, because I have a pretty small very lightweight notebook, that I am just loving ;), it´s an Amd A8-6410 while it´s not stellar configuration, I really think is quite good, of course single core power is not as good as intel cpus, but as I carefully choose my apps, it really shows the power of multi core and open cl amd accelerated apps. Until now I have found out that the AMD catalyst beta drivers work better and have better performance than the last ones,... I do some light vídeo editing but I tend to do vídeo noise reduction and stabilization very often, I have looked for OpenCl optimized apps, and while I have tried cyberlink PowerDirector, Sony Vegas, Magix, I found out that Corel Video Studio Pro X8 is way faster and use my igp in ways the other apps do not. Sony Vegas is powerfull and fast, Cyberlink Powerdirector I did not found it fast neither powerfull..., Magix was just another vídeo editor a little too much confusing gui. Corel Video Studio Pro X8 is fast, really fast, rendering, stabilizing, on effects and so on, a must have for me! Also it can do batch transcoding for external vídeos wich is amazing, but I have also found out that ArcSoft Media Converter 8 really uses AMD opencl making very fast transcoding. I also use very much the Trimble SketchUp Pro, and while it´s not any faster, i use inside of it the VRay 2 sketchup plugin for rendering and it uses OpenCL making my renders amazingly fast even in this very modest configuration, this proves that OpenCl can really make wonders. Well done software with good OpenCL support makes an umprecedent experience. I also find out that Bluestaks Android emulator really runes well, even with games!