Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Good 1st Gaming PC?

Frying CPUs

Decided to build my 1st rig this year as my laptop will hardly load chrome and is on its last leg from being 12 years old. I have a budget of $800 for the pc itself.

About myself: I do youtube and use After Effects to edit and use Photoshop to do my thumbnails. Reason for choosing the CPU over say the 2600 since the extra should come in handy while editing/rendering. Correct?

The build I put together: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9nJftg (CPU did go up $12 on amazon for whatever reason overnight. Hope it comes down on newegg monday) 

What performance in games could I expect with this setup in games like Fortnite/Overwatch/CSGO/Older Call of Duty’s & smaller titles?

Stick to the 1700/2600 or switch to an X370 motherboard because a B350 on an "X" Ryzen CPU is wasted overclocking potential and kind of a waste of money. 

I would go for 2600/B450 with stock cooler and spend extra money for a better case or more storage

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

well for gaming the 1700x gets an average score of 88% matched against all cpus compare that to an 8600k which gets %101 compared so it will be good in games and get you 60+ fps on high 1080p in most games and is perfect for editing and rendering (personally I use gpu rendering) 

all in all the parts list is pretty good not any floors to which I can see apart from a 17% decrease in 1060 performance due to such a good processor (this is based of research) 

hope this helped

Arctic frost

my first build

cpu: intel i5 8600k

cpu cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 33 eSports ONE

motherboard: Asus ROG strix z370-E

ram: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2133

ssd: Kingston - A400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

hdd: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

gpu: Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Dual Series

case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White)

psu: EVGA - B3 550W 80+ Bronze 

thanks to @seoz for helping make the list :P and its based of her custom rig

Yeah it is a fine build.

I would get a b450 motherboard instead, for example b450 tomahawk. The stock cooler on ryzen 1st gen is good, no need for hyper 212.

If you have a 1080p monitor then you should get over 60fps in every game at ultra settings.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

2 minutes ago, jevjev said:

well for gaming the 1700x gets an average score of 88% matched against all cpus compare that to an 8600k which gets %101 compared so it will be good in games and get you 60+ fps on high 1080p in most games and is perfect for editing and rendering (personally I use gpu rendering) 

all in all the parts list is pretty good not any floors to which I can see apart from a 17% decrease in 1060 performance due to such a good processor (this is based of research) 

hope this helped

Thanks. Sounds like I will be happy with it then. How future proof is this setup in terms of gaming? Editing nothing really changes. 

4 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Yeah it is a fine build.

I would get a b450 motherboard instead, for example b450 tomahawk. The stock cooler on ryzen 1st gen is good, no need for hyper 212.

If you have a 1080p monitor then you should get over 60fps in every game at ultra settings.

The 1700x doesnt come with a stock cooler (reason for hyper 212). And as far as getting a b450 mobo. Wouldnt a b350 work just fine since I dont plan on OCing or anything for a while?

1 minute ago, Frying CPUs said:

1700x

b350

dont plan on OCing

Why even buying an 1700x instead of a 1700 that comes with a FREE COOLER ?

Am I the only one seeing this or?...

3 minutes ago, Frying CPUs said:

Thanks. Sounds like I will be happy with it then. How future proof is this setup in terms of gaming? Editing nothing really changes. 

for editing its fine and gaming all you would need to do is upgrade the gpu as the 1700x should last you a while and the difference between a b350 and b450 is not much just a few optimisations the cpu upgrade path will be the same on both motherboards so its very future proof 

Arctic frost

my first build

4 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

Why even buying an 1700x instead of a 1700 that comes with a FREE COOLER ?

Am I the only one seeing this or?...

Because i can always upgrade mobo later down the road to b450? Plus you better cooling out of the hyper 212 vs stock cooler? And if i ever did want to get into oc’ing i would most likely need a better cooler anyways? 

4 minutes ago, jevjev said:

for editing its fine and gaming all you would need to do is upgrade the gpu as the 1700x should last you a while and the difference between a b350 and b450 is not much just a few optimisations the cpu upgrade path will be the same on both motherboards so its very future proof 

Good to know. Not saying that i wont upgrade parts down the line but I would hate to have to upgrade half the system to run a new game at decent settings. Thanks for the help.

30 minutes ago, Frying CPUs said:

Decided to build my 1st rig this year as my laptop will hardly load chrome and is on its last leg from being 12 years old. I have a budget of $800 for the pc itself.

About myself: I do youtube and use After Effects to edit and use Photoshop to do my thumbnails. Reason for choosing the CPU over say the 2600 since the extra should come in handy while editing/rendering. Correct?

The build I put together: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9nJftg (CPU did go up $12 on amazon for whatever reason overnight. Hope it comes down on newegg monday) 

What performance in games could I expect with this setup in games like Fortnite/Overwatch/CSGO/Older Call of Duty’s & smaller titles?

Just now, Frying CPUs said:

Good to know. Not saying that i wont upgrade parts down the line but I would hate to have to upgrade half the system to run a new game at decent settings. Thanks for the help.

np have fun with your first build :D

Arctic frost

my first build

upgrade mobo later down the road to b450?

what. 

if i ever did want to get into oc’ing

Are you gonna OC or not?

most likely need a better cooler anyways?

Depends on the overclock: but Hyper212 wouldn't be enough either

Get an x370 immediately then

Cores would only matter during the encoding & rendering phase. The better Memory support & better latency will actually matter in more of the "normal", basic creative tasks. It's the exact reason the top Intel Desktop SKU performs better than HEDT CPUs in Adobe products.