Netflix Causes Stuttering?

mbryant
Go to solution Solved by mbryant,
On 12/5/2018 at 11:32 AM, Monotoast said:
I have been having the same issue i fixed it by turning the mtu size down for my subinterface i set it 1400 but i would recomend that you experment with to find what work with you i would take you current and just step down little by little if you do not know how to set your mtu here is a quick guide
1. get to cmd or powershell as admin
1a. win 10 use the win key and x then click powershell (admin)
1b. win 7 win key type cmd then shift enter to run as admin
2.type netsh interface ipv4 show subinterface
3. find the Subinterface that you use going to be the one that has the most bytes in and out if you dont have any thing else like a nas or somthing
4.Type netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface “interface” mtu=MTUsize store=persistent just replace interface with the subinterface that you use and MTUsize with the size you would like
just to let you know that you whant your mtu size equal across the board that means your isp, modem, router, switches, coumputers ect... if you call you isp they will most of the time just tell you what the mtu is. if the not comcast ;D if you have any more question pm me i might just reply if im not busy also most of the time the isp going to set the mtu to 1500 so that might be a place to start if you lower then that its just a matter of finding the right setting PLZ TAKE NOTE OF YOUR DEFAULT SETTING IF YOU MESS SOMTHING UP REVERT TO THAT SETTING.

Oh nice! That's great info. I think I'm just going to live with it for the time being. I need to stop watching so much anyway. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue. It just seems that when I noticed it that it was something new and wasn't happening until I first spotted it. 

Hi all, 

About a year ago I started to notice that having Netflix running in the background while playing games would cause intermittent stuttering in games. I've also just recently noticed the same issue with Youtube videos. The issue seems to go away after closing Netflix. I'm using Chrome and my system isn't being hit hard by anything. 10+ gigs of RAM free and GPU doesn't exceed a 15% load.

Has anyone else experienced this? 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

Do you get the same issue in another browser ? I have had similar issues with Chrome now and few other issues so have basically stopped using it now.

6 minutes ago, caldrin said:

Do you get the same issue in another browser ? I have had similar issues with Chrome now and few other issues so have basically stopped using it now.

I haven't bothered to check. It's not really a major issue I was just trying to narrow it down to a software issue rather than hardware. 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

It's caused by hardware acceleration being enabled in your browser and is intended behaviour.

While you're watching a video in your browser the decoding is being offloaded from the CPU to the GPU. You then run a game on the GPU and it's still busy decoding the video which causes stuttering.

Solution: Disable hardware acceleration in your browser (NOT RECOMMENDED) or don't try to game and watch videos simultaneously.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

• 2 weeks later...
I have been having the same issue i fixed it by turning the mtu size down for my subinterface i set it 1400 but i would recomend that you experment with to find what work with you i would take you current and just step down little by little if you do not know how to set your mtu here is a quick guide
3. find the Subinterface that you use going to be the one that has the most bytes in and out if you dont have any thing else like a nas or somthing
4.Type netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface “interface” mtu=MTUsize store=persistent just replace interface with the subinterface that you use and MTUsize with the size you would like
just to let you know that you whant your mtu size equal across the board that means your isp, modem, router, switches, coumputers ect... if you call you isp they will most of the time just tell you what the mtu is. if the not comcast ;D if you have any more question pm me i might just reply if im not busy also most of the time the isp going to set the mtu to 1500 so that might be a place to start if you lower then that its just a matter of finding the right setting PLZ TAKE NOTE OF YOUR DEFAULT SETTING IF YOU MESS SOMTHING UP REVERT TO THAT SETTING.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2018 at 11:32 AM, Monotoast said:

Oh nice! That's great info. I think I'm just going to live with it for the time being. I need to stop watching so much anyway. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue. It just seems that when I noticed it that it was something new and wasn't happening until I first spotted it.