AE Keylight 1.2 VS PP Ultra Key

Dear Linus TechTips

I find myself in a bit of a struggle between After Effects powerful Keylight, and Premie Pros lesser Ultra Key. I have three ways of working right now. For all three I use my greenscreen studio with 5 lamps – two front, two for the greenscreen itself, and the last for back lighting of the subject.

Computer specs: 7700k @ 4.9Ghz, no AVX offset. 64Gb RAM, GTX 1070. All material is shot in dnx hr hqx 4k on a Ninja Inferno

Premiere Pro only: I apply keylighting in Premiere Pro via Ultrakey, and get a mediocre result. Rendertimes are great! 100% GPU usage, and around 15 min rendertime for a 20min clip, and an incredibly workable timeline.

AE Render in Premiere Pro. Apply the Keylight effect in aftereffects, render to 10Bit Cineform, which take around 3 hours to render. Put the rendered view in Premiere Pro, and work as normal. This nets me no GPU acceleration at render, but timeline performance is great. Additional rendertime is two hours, bringing the total to five hours. Result is much prettier than UltraKey

AE Project in Premiere Pro. Same workflow as above, but I just embed the AE project in Premiere instead of rendering from AE. This makes timeline performance horrendous, but the total rendertime is “only” around 2 hours and 30 minutes. Result is much prettier than UltraKey

This is all fine and dandy, but I really miss working solely from Premiere, and the vastly increased performance that it brings. What can I do to enhance my experience with keying from within Premiere?

Kind regards!