AM4 for Zen 2?

Hey everyone,

I have been deciding between a 9900k but I have slowly been settling on maybe getting a 2700x.  Now I know Zen 2 is coming out in 2019 on 7nm and that AMD said that all Zen chips would be on AM4 until around 2020.  I was thinking instead of getting a 9900k, settling with a 2700x and then upgrading the CPU to Zen 2 when that arrives, but I am worried about missing features that would come with Zen 2.  Ive tried to find any official information, but are there any major features that are arriving on Zen 2 that an old board would miss out on or will features be supported (I doubt it) by just plug and play.

I doubt it, but we really don't know 

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

23 minutes ago, Clydfrog said:

Hey everyone,

I have been deciding between a 9900k but I have slowly been settling on maybe getting a 2700x.  Now I know Zen 2 is coming out in 2019 on 7nm and that AMD said that all Zen chips would be on AM4 until around 2020.  I was thinking instead of getting a 9900k, settling with a 2700x and then upgrading the CPU to Zen 2 when that arrives, but I am worried about missing features that would come with Zen 2.  Ive tried to find any official information, but are there any major features that are arriving on Zen 2 that an old board would miss out on or will features be supported (I doubt it) by just plug and play.

Save a bit of money and get a 2600. Unless ypu absolutely need the cores. One more thing 7nm theoretically should be less power hungry or equivalent to current gen. I read somewhere it will handle higher clockspeeds with same power draw. But that is with my very basic understanding of electrical engineering.

If this question persists next semester I may have more to say.

If you can spend $800-900 on a 9900k + mb purchase now, then two AM4 setups would be possible for the same if you sold the used parts.  You can go with a system now and sell the parts for upgrades next year if the updates warrant the purchase. 

Gaming - AMD TR 3970X | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme II | G.SKILL Neo 3600 64GB | Zotac Nvidia 2080 Ti AMP | 2x Sabarent 1TB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1000w | Corsair K70 RGB Lux | Corsiar M65 | 2x ASUS Rog PG279Q | BenQ EW3270U | Windows 10 Pro | EKWB Custom loop

ITX - Intel i7-10700k | Asus ROG Z490-I Gaming | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 2080 Super| Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD | NZXT H1| Windows 10 Pro

HTPC - Intel i9-9900k | Asus ROG Maximus XI Code | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 1070 | Samsung 970 1TB | WD Blue 1TB SSD | NZXT H700  | EVGA G3 1000W | Corsair H150i | Windows 10 Pro

Servers - SuperMicro 846 | 2x 2695L V2 | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 24 x 6TB | FreeNas - SuperMicro 826 | 2 x 2695L | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 8 x 10TB | 847 24 x 1TB SSD | Windows Server 2019

Work - Dell XPS 15 9560 | i7-7700HQ | 32 GB RAM | 1TB NVMe | 4k dsiplay

1 hour ago, Wwadsworth said:

Save a bit of money and get a 2600. Unless ypu absolutely need the cores. One more thing 7nm theoretically should be less power hungry or equivalent to current gen. I read somewhere it will handle higher clockspeeds with same power draw. But that is with my very basic understanding of electrical engineering.

If this question persists next semester I may have more to say.

I will need the 8 cores. I currently use a 3930k (4.4ghz) :(

1 hour ago, Xplo1t said:

If you can spend $800-900 on a 9900k + mb purchase now, then two AM4 setups would be possible for the same if you sold the used parts.  You can go with a system now and sell the parts for upgrades next year if the updates warrant the purchase. 

I doubt the 9900k will command a big sale because Ryzen will be neck and neck in performance, or better.  The reason I am now thinking of going 2700x over 9900k was because I also have a mini itx PC that I use for lans, and its in dire need of an upgrade as well. So I could just rotate the 2700x out of the main PC and put it in the mini ITX when im done with it.

I really like the 9900k, but I feel its massively old architecture will hold it back.  It also isnt much of an overclocker and it runs incredibly hot. I was holding out for it for over a year thinking it would easily reach 5.2 when it was announced. But I heard it can struggle to hit 5.0 on all cores without huge temperature increases.

I just feel like intel is so far behind in chip design atm.  But I think getting Ryzen on my main PC and then putting the 2700x into the mini itx is the better way to go.  Not really sure though.