Ram placement

AgentAY

So I have a Rampage V Extreme with 4 4gb sticks of vengeance ram. The problem is they’re placed in the wrong order and the system is already up and running. Can I just take the ram out and replace into the right spot or or there something else I have to do?

Nope, they self-glue in place once their in.

Of course. Turn off the system, unplug power, swap where they are slotted in, and turn it back on. Done.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

3 minutes ago, AgentAY said:

So I have a Rampage V Extreme with 4 4gb sticks of vengeance ram. The problem is they’re placed in the wrong order and the system is already up and running. Can I just take the ram out and replace into the right spot or or there something else I have to do?

Make sure you shutdown and unplug the PC first dude, you may corrupt a module if you leave it running and of course there is an electrocution risk while the PC is on.

~~~ MY RECENTLY UPDATED RIG ~~~

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700

MOBO: ASUS Prime B450M-A

GPU: ASUS RX580 Dual 8 GB

RAM: 4 x 8GB Team T-Force Vulcan 2666Mhz

Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro RGB

PSU: Silverstone 80+ Platinum 750W Fully Modular

Case: Cougar Panzer Dual Tempered Glass

Storage: Samsung 840 500GB 2.5" SSD

Storage: SanDisk 240GB 2.5" SSD

Storage: LiteON 240 GB 2.5" SSD

Storage: Toshiba 3TB 7200rpm 3.5" HDD

PC Part Picker list:

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/4bH3V6

As long as all the DIMMs are working properly you should be fine just powering down and re-seating in the recommended slots.

Edit: As with any tinkering, of course make sure you turn off power at the wall and wear an ESD strap (if you don't have one, touch a faucet or your case before poking any expensive components)

Just now, suchamoneypit said:

Nope, they self-glue in place once their in.

Of course. Turn off the system, unplug power, swap where they are slotted in, and turn it back on. Done.

So I swapped them in the right place and now I don’t have video output, but when I put them back where they were it’s alright

Just now, AgentAY said:

So I swapped them in the right place and now I don’t have video output, but when I put them back where they were it’s alright

Are you going off the correct slots according to your motherboard manual? It will tell you which order to populate them. A clear CMOS in between swaps and after won't hurt.

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

10 minutes ago, Dufsao14 said:

Make sure you shutdown and unplug the PC first dude, you may corrupt a module if you leave it running and of course there is an electrocution risk while the PC is on.

Of course, I turned off the psu, unplugged it, and waited for all the mobo light to turn off.

10 minutes ago, Chargrilled said:

As long as all the DIMMs are working properly you should be fine just powering down and re-seating in the recommended slots.

Edit: As with any tinkering, of course make sure you turn off power at the wall and wear an ESD strap (if you don't have one, touch a faucet or your case before poking any expensive components)

I plugged them all into the right slots for the rampage v extreme “red slots” but I got no vga output

Just now, AgentAY said:

I plugged them all into the right slots for the rampage v extreme “red slots” but I got no vga output

Well are the "right slots" the exact slots and order the motherboard manual says? Do you have a GPU? Is that giving output? It will usually prioritize offboard display over iGPU if there is an offboard graphics present. Did you try clearing the CMOS like I mentioned? Clearing CMOS alone solves a lot of problems.

7 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Are you going off the correct slots according to your motherboard manual? It will tell you which order to populate them. A clear CMOS in between swaps and after won't hurt.

Did that no vga output

CC603B63-CC3F-429E-8750-90185DBEE55F.png

Just now, Chargrilled said:

So you have them in A1, B1, C1 and D1 according to this diagram?

Untitled.thumb.png.b54ecee60e3eeab61b472bbb8689972b.png

Try the things @suchamoneypit mentioned above.

Yup no vga signal. I put them back into a1 a2 d2 d1 and system worked perfectly.

If you have a GPU and it's not outputting, try using the iGPU by swapping the cable from the GPU port to the same port on the motherboard rear IO and see if that will boot (with the RAM in the right slots)

1 minute ago, Chargrilled said:

If you have a GPU and it's not outputting, try using the iGPU by swapping the cable from the GPU port to the same port on the motherboard and see if that will boot.

the gpu works fine im writing this reply on the computer with the weird setup and theres no problem. its just when I try to replace the ram into the right spot theres not vga output and I get a postcode "bd"

Is it set to the correct XMP mode?  On my X99 Asus Strix board, I was only able to boot the system with 1 stick of ram in standard timings.  Had to first set it to XMP before populating it in quad channel.

You are in effect going from dual to quad channel which may be also causing the issue if XMP is set.  Memory is a finicky beast in quad mode.

Gaming - AMD TR 3970X | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme II | G.SKILL Neo 3600 64GB | Zotac Nvidia 2080 Ti AMP | 2x Sabarent 1TB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1000w | Corsair K70 RGB Lux | Corsiar M65 | 2x ASUS Rog PG279Q | BenQ EW3270U | Windows 10 Pro | EKWB Custom loop

ITX - Intel i7-10700k | Asus ROG Z490-I Gaming | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 2080 Super| Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD | NZXT H1| Windows 10 Pro

HTPC - Intel i9-9900k | Asus ROG Maximus XI Code | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 1070 | Samsung 970 1TB | WD Blue 1TB SSD | NZXT H700  | EVGA G3 1000W | Corsair H150i | Windows 10 Pro

Servers - SuperMicro 846 | 2x 2695L V2 | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 24 x 6TB | FreeNas - SuperMicro 826 | 2 x 2695L | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 8 x 10TB | 847 24 x 1TB SSD | Windows Server 2019

Work - Dell XPS 15 9560 | i7-7700HQ | 32 GB RAM | 1TB NVMe | 4k dsiplay

4 minutes ago, Chargrilled said:

If you have a GPU and it's not outputting, try using the iGPU by swapping the cable from the GPU port to the same port on the motherboard rear IO and see if that will boot (with the RAM in the right slots)

X99, no iGPU.

Gaming - AMD TR 3970X | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme II | G.SKILL Neo 3600 64GB | Zotac Nvidia 2080 Ti AMP | 2x Sabarent 1TB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1000w | Corsair K70 RGB Lux | Corsiar M65 | 2x ASUS Rog PG279Q | BenQ EW3270U | Windows 10 Pro | EKWB Custom loop

ITX - Intel i7-10700k | Asus ROG Z490-I Gaming | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 2080 Super| Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD | NZXT H1| Windows 10 Pro

HTPC - Intel i9-9900k | Asus ROG Maximus XI Code | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 1070 | Samsung 970 1TB | WD Blue 1TB SSD | NZXT H700  | EVGA G3 1000W | Corsair H150i | Windows 10 Pro

Servers - SuperMicro 846 | 2x 2695L V2 | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 24 x 6TB | FreeNas - SuperMicro 826 | 2 x 2695L | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 8 x 10TB | 847 24 x 1TB SSD | Windows Server 2019

1 minute ago, Xplo1t said:

Is it set to the correct XMP mode?  On my X99 Asus Strix board, I was only able to boot the system with 1 stick of ram in standard timings.  Had to first set it to XMP before populating it in quad channel.

You are in effect going from dual to quad channel which may be also causing the issue if XMP is set.  Memory is a finicky beast in quad mode.

I have absolutely no clue I am a beginner whose just trying to fix mistakes. and creating more problems....

2 minutes ago, AgentAY said:

I have absolutely no clue I am a beginner whose just trying to fix mistakes. and creating more problems....

Put the RAM back in the correct config and on boot hit F2 or Delete to get into your BIOS. Search for XMP if it's not on the first screen you see. Make sure it's set to XMP I or XMP II, then Save & Reset.

See if that works.

3 minutes ago, AgentAY said:

Having an X99 system myself, you will see little benefit from quad channel memory, so if your system reports the full amount, leave it as is.  I chased this issue for a few weeks recently on my old computer and it was a funky XMP settings issue.  100% stable after I got it fixed.  Similar issues as you are seeing.

As @Chargrilled mentioned, do at least check the XMP settings and let us know what is says.

Just now, Chargrilled said:

Put the ram back in the correct config and on boot hit F2 or Delete to get into your BIOS. Search for XMP. Make sure it's set to XMP I or XMP II, then Save & Reset.

See if that works.

the problem is, I don't get any video output. my monitor acts like its still sleeping with the correct config. but the the fucked config, it works like its supposed to.

Just now, Xplo1t said:

Having an X99 system myself, you will see little benefit from quad channel memory, so if your system reports the full amount, leave it as is.  I chased this issue for a few weeks recently on my old computer and it was a funky XMP settings issue.  100% stable after I got it fixed.  Similar issues as you are seeing.

so youre saying I should ignore my ocd and leave it in the fucked up positions?

2 minutes ago, AgentAY said:

the problem is, I don't get any video output. my monitor acts like its still sleeping with the correct config. but the the fucked config, it works like its supposed to.

Restart while the RAM is in the incorrect position, get into BIOS and set them to XMP I or XMP II, then power down, re-seat in the correct position and try to boot.

Unsure if XMP settings will carry over after re-seating but it's worth a shot.

1 minute ago, Chargrilled said:

Restart while the RAM is in the incorrect position, get into BIOS and set them to XMP I or XMP II, then power down, re-seat in the correct position and try to boot.

idk im not trying to mess with bios rn. ill ask my dad he works for nvidia and he built the pc so he'll probably know

2 minutes ago, Chargrilled said:

On the Asus X99 Strix board, you can do a single stick of RAM, change the XMP settings and then populate the others afterwards and it keeps the settings.  That was my method for getting past a similar issue.  I'm sure the base BIOS functions are pretty similar between the too boards.

Just now, Xplo1t said:

On the Asus X99 Strix board, you can do a single stick of RAM, change the XMP settings and then populate the others afterwards and it keeps the settings.  That was my method for getting past a similar issue.  I'm sure the base BIOS functions are pretty similar between the too boards.

ok ill keep that in mind but ill just ask my dad, he built the system and he knows way more about it then I do. plus I dont want to mess with bios