Crossfire wiring

Queen  Chrysalis

Hey I'm trying to hook up two RX Vega 64's to my PSU, and I'm wondering if I can wire them in series with 8+8 pin connectors.  Any thoughts?

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

i hope your not expecting much results from Crossfire vega 64's. Crossfire/NvLink/SLI has never been worth it.

Always use individual cables for high end GPU's, it will generally help the GPU and the wires in the long wrong (AKA If your PSU has them, use 4 different PCIE plugs into the PSU.)

4 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

i hope your not expecting much results from Crossfire vega 64's. Crossfire/NvLink/SLI has never been worth it.

Always use individual cables for high end GPU's, it will generally help the GPU and the wires in the long wrong (AKA If your PSU has them, use 4 different PCIE plugs into the PSU.)

Yeah I just found that out the hard way.  The cards are still ok, but I'll have to wait.  I don't have enough pci connectors (curse you modular cables and your ability to get lost!).  I ordered a new PSU anyway, as 1000w will give more breathing room so I can un-un-overclock my 1700 back to 4.0.  With the new PSU, I will have enough connectors.

EDIT:  Also, I know what I'm getting.  I want to get a decent framerate in Deus Ex at 3440x1440.  Also, I've heard crossfire and SLI tend to scale better at higher resolutions, not sure how true that is.

1 minute ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Yeah I just found that out the hard way.  The cards are still ok, but I'll have to wait.  I don't have enough pci connectors (curse you modular cables and your ability to get lost!).  I ordered a new PSU anyway, as 1000w will give more breathing room so I can un-un-overclock my 1700 back to 4.0.  With the new PSU, I will have enough connectors.

I Mean just 5 minutes of research would have shown you that SLI/Crossfire is Garbage for the value, Single fastest card is always the best route

Just now, Shimejii said:

I Mean just 5 minutes of research would have shown you that SLI/Crossfire is Garbage for the value, Single fastest card is always the best route

Usually yes, but the Vega 64 is the best freesync card you can get, so crossfiring two was the only way to get faster.  That rule of thumb is top never SLI/crossfire unless you have the fastest card you can get and desire more speed.

2 hours ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Usually yes, but the Vega 64 is the best freesync card you can get, so crossfiring two was the only way to get faster.  That rule of thumb is top never SLI/crossfire unless you have the fastest card you can get and desire more speed.

Yep, I had gotten a pair of VEGA 64's and a 49" Samsung 32:9 format Freesync monitor for a damn good super ultra wide screen gaming experience. Before this, I'd run dual and triple CF setups from the HD5870 onward. last before the VEGA64's was a pair of R9 290X that ran games wonderfully, but I found the 4GB VRAM limitation to be a factor in some games I play at 3440x1440, max ingame (or near max). Do note that I have four rails of 6+2 pin PCIE power cables connected, never use 6pin to 8 pin adapters, and share the rails (run them in series)

akWStVP.jpg

This monitor is a QLED SVA 32:9 monitor with 144Hz refresh rate, HDR, Freesync 2 support  (great for FPS like BF series, HL2 series, Mass Effect series, Metro series, Dead Space. Bioshock, Far Cry series, etc) but not great for very fast paced FPS like UT series, Serious Sam (I found it a bit disconcerting as there was simply too much to take in while running around and shooting). Absolutely stunning for racing games though, tried the Forza Horizon demo and it was just awesome.

naxL68Z.jpg

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2