Proper Settings

WhispTV

I have a 5.2 surround sound set up in my living that is about 20x15. I have a small center speaker, 2 tower speakers and two bookshelf back speakers all made by Klipsch. I have 2 sub woofers one by Klipsch and the other by pioneer(was gifted to me and figured it wouldnt hurt). I have the speakers all somewhat evenly distributed and believe the placement of all the speakers are okay. I struggle with believing that my settings are correct. I have used the default YPAO calibration and also tried doing my own settings. My receiver is a Yamaha and i usually use the Surround sound decode preset. It seems most of my sound comes out of the center, a medium amount of sound out of each tower and very limited sound out of the rear speakers. Is it the content i am watching doesnt support much surround sound? Is it that the preset i have set up on my receiver isnt right? How do i maximize my surround sound equipment and make sure i am listing to is at its best. 

i have a pioneer and tried there auto calibration thing and hated it. back i could never hear and on mine it made the 2 fronts louder and barely any center.
to get the most out of my surround i set mine manually..... rears at +15 my fronts at +8 and center at +10 and sub at +15 (so it always stayed on any lower and it would auto sleep)

the rears are that high just to get it equal in loudness to the front for some reason

and what content are you watching.....most youtube is stereo unless specified...netflix so far as ive seen is all surround...amazon also

also depends on how your connecting to your receiver....need more info on that
oh and also it depends on what surround decode you use...a couple blends the fronts to the center and so one.

10 minutes ago, circeseye said:

i have a pioneer and tried there auto calibration thing and hated it. back i could never hear and on mine it made the 2 fronts louder and barely any center.
to get the most out of my surround i set mine manually..... rears at +15 my fronts at +8 and center at +10 and sub at +15 (so it always stayed on any lower and it would auto sleep)

the rears are that high just to get it equal in loudness to the front for some reason

and what content are you watching.....most youtube is stereo unless specified...netflix so far as ive seen is all surround...amazon also

also depends on how your connecting to your receiver....need more info on that
oh and also it depends on what surround decode you use...a couple blends the fronts to the center and so one.

I was mainly watch regular cable with Netflix and bluray movies. I soon will be switching to more streaming and YouTube TV but okay so basicly just gotta do some more manually tweaking until I like it. 

19 minutes ago, circeseye said:

ok but how is sound going to receiver? hdmi? optical? digital? rca?

It is running through hdmi. 

7 hours ago, TheFlyingTraut said:

Are they the same model/family of speakers? Or just same brand?

Same family except for the random subwoofer. All really good speakers I think retail when I bought it all was like $1500 or so. 

You have a setting running amok somewhere if it's all coming from the center. Is there a setting for like "voice" or "clear" that is turned way up? You may just need to re-calibrate it.