Corsair LL120 fans don't work...

itchkowb
Go to solution Solved by Defyant,

It seems after getting a PM from MSI you need to to do a firmware update...... shoot me a PM if you want the exact details they send me.

****WARNING**** THE VIDEO HAS A LOUD SPIKE AT THE END****WARNING****

My friend gave me 3 Corsair LL120s and the corsair hub for my rig. As I have an MSI motherboard (Z370 GAMING pro carbon ac), I plugged the fans into the hub, and the hub into the JCORSAIR1 pin on my mobo, yet the lights are finicky at best. and iCUE doesn't recognize them, only my H100iv2. I'll attach a video later today, but I was wondering if y'all could offer any help with the info provided. 

Thanks

They are not LL120's...... 

Did you connect like this?

Did you try msi  Mystic light?

Yes... that didn't work either... it's just picking up my mobo (and not my phanteks light strip but that's another story) and he said they were... what are they? And yes I'm all too familiar with that video.

******WARNING*********

*******  VOLUME SPIKE WARNING ATTACHED FOR THE POOR PPL WEARING HEADPHONES YOU ABOUT TO DEAFEN ************

50 seconds searching on the internet will tell you what they are......they look like sp's 

Are you using the latest icue?

When you select the fan series in the pull down in icue what fan are you selecting?

what hub are you using?  LL's usually come with a different hub to the cheaper SP/HD/ML models.....

is the hub connected to the motherboard via a usb cable?  how is it talking to the software?

Post up more pics mate of the hub and the way you have it all connected.

This will help us to help you.

sorry about the video... i thought i turned the sound off...

But its connected w the proprietary corsair cable straight to the mobo. I also got a node pro that i could hook the hub to the connect that via usb, but it felt redundant. and as far as icue goes, its the newest one and i havent selected anything as it doesnt show up in the devices tab.  

Please excuse the cables... im gonna re manage tomorrow

icue ss.PNG

mystic ss.PNG

20181109_205017.jpg

20181109_205021.jpg

From what i can see everything is as it should be, Connections are good.

But there's some thing going on from what i can read in the msi forums...

Maybe a pin out change or bios update.... either way msi is a bit tight lipped about it...... and only handing out the fix via pms!

Update: The fan mounted on the back of my case is lit up a majority of the time (except i cant control it so its flashing blue and pink) and now, the other fan still doesnt light upat  nor are either of them recognized.

Thanks

3 hours ago, WindowsIsLife said:

Update: The fan mounted on the back of my case is lit up a majority of the time (except i cant control it so its flashing blue and pink) and now, the other fan still doesnt light upat  nor are either of them recognized.

Thanks

That's still nowhere close to functional :(

Still waiting for a reply from msi..... in the meantime hopefully @DevBiker will log on and have an answer for you.

The only left over anomaly i can see is the inclusion of the third wire from the Jcorsair1 header on the board to the fan hub..... it's not really needed as the hub can get power from the sata power con.....all you really need is the data/return(ground).....   

I'm not sure how the inclusion of the 5v out line effects the hub.

Again best to wait for DB to maybe shine some light.

On a side not why dont you connect the node pro?  that way if you get it running you can eliminate  the fans and fan hub as part of the problem.....

I'm not to sure what the go with msi's mystic light but iCue rocks!

10 hours ago, Defyant said:

On a side not why dont you connect the node pro?  that way if you get it running you can eliminate  the fans and fan hub as part of the problem.....

I'm not to sure what the go with msi's mystic light but iCue rocks!

I dont have a usb cable for the node pro... if i cant get jcorsair working... ill get one, but i wanted as few components as possible for simplicity. and again thanks a lot for your helpo and efforts!

If you don't have the proprietary usb header to the motherboard usb pins.... you can always use a standard mini usb to standard usb cable and just plug it into a back usb port to test with.   

A good old style phone charger cable will work for this.

I'm still waiting on a reply from msi.... as soon as they msg me i'll pass it on.

Do you not need a Corsair Pro controller to be able to control the lights through software?

I have the same setup with the 6-fan Corsair hub for my Corsair SP120 RGB fans and can only control the color through the lighting control box.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

It seems after getting a PM from MSI you need to to do a firmware update...... shoot me a PM if you want the exact details they send me.