Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GTX 1070 not recognized

ozeki6
 Share

I bought a server Dell T3610 with an E5-1620 v2 CPU 16gb of ram and I assume the motherboard is a DELL 09M8Y8 (LGA 2011) . I also bought a GTX 1070 Aero OC. 

I firstly got the server so I tested it with a gt 1030 and it worked fine however when I received the gtx 1070 it gave no signal to monitor. 
I tried to use both GPUs in the same time and only gt 1030 is recognized in the device manager.
GPU fan is spinning, I connected the 8 pins to it (an adaptor from 6 to 6+2 pins) so I assume that the video card might be faulty but I'd like to know your opinion. 
Do you think is a compatibility issue and if so then why the gt 1030 works since it's from the same series and it's even newer than gtx 1070 ?

My PC : https://www.dell.com/support/article/ro/ro/robsdt1/sln290552/precision-t3610-desktop-workstation-hardware-specifications?lang=en

My GPU : https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1070-AERO-8G-OC.html

 

Note : The PC does boot with the GTX 1070 but it gives no signal to the monitor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum.

 

I take it none of the fault codes on the tower lighting up at all if you are saying it boots.    

 

Go into the BIOS and check the log files for entries related to insufficient power.  I had a second hand T3600 that the previous owner had issues with and when reviewing the BIOS log files it was full of not enough power entries or something, I can't remember the wording exactly or know what previous owner was trying to do because I never had issues.

 

I'm no expert but I'm never a fan of using adapters but I know that PSU is proprietary and not exactly easy to replace.  If I remember correctly that model has like  daughter board off the PSU for the connections. Are you using the original cable that came with that board and then converting it to 6 to 8?  Do you have the 425 or the 685 watt PSU?

 

If you don't have a second desktop to test the 1070 I would test it in a friends machine.  You need to narrow things down a little and the easiest thing would be to test the 1070 to be sure it functions.  On a side note, I have ASUS 1070 Strix, I once was cleaning my system and powered it up without the 8 pin plugged in and it displayed to the screen saying something along the lines of "This GPU requires the power cable to be connected".  So even without enough power it still gave a output on my system.   I have no idea if all GPU's do that or not.  Maybe try and boot it without the 8 pin plugged in just to if it gives you a message like that.    

 

 

 

 

Ryzen 2600 - Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 - Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB - Corsair Force MP500 NVMe PCIe M.2 240GB - 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB - 

AsRock B450 PRO4 - Deepcool Earlkase Case -  Seasonic Foucus+ 650

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Reznik said:

Welcome to the forum.

 

I take it none of the fault codes on the tower lighting up at all if you are saying it boots.    

 

Go into the BIOS and check the log files for entries related to insufficient power.  I had a second hand T3600 that the previous owner had issues with and when reviewing the BIOS log files it was full of not enough power entries or something, I can't remember the wording exactly or know what previous owner was trying to do because I never had issues.

 

I'm no expert but I'm never a fan of using adapters but I know that PSU is proprietary and not exactly easy to replace.  If I remember correctly that model has like  daughter board off the PSU for the connections. Are you using the original cable that came with that board and then converting it to 6 to 8?  Do you have the 425 or the 685 watt PSU?

 

If you don't have a second desktop to test the 1070 I would test it in a friends machine.  You need to narrow things down a little and the easiest thing would be to test the 1070 to be sure it functions.  On a side note, I have ASUS 1070 Strix, I once was cleaning my system and powered it up without the 8 pin plugged in and it displayed to the screen saying something along the lines of "This GPU requires the power cable to be connected".  So even without enough power it still gave a output on my system.   I have no idea if all GPU's do that or not.  Maybe try and boot it without the 8 pin plugged in just to if it gives you a message like that.    

 

 

 

 

Thanks for you answer. I think I did tried to boot it without pins and it gave me no message because I have no signal so I assume it's either an incompatibility or a faulty GPU although I don't see how can there be an incompatibility. Also, I have a 685 watt PSU. I will try to check the logs but I already told you that it boots so most likely I won't find anything useful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ozeki6 said:

Thanks for you answer. I think I did tried to boot it without pins and it gave me no message because I have no signal so I assume it's either an incompatibility or a faulty GPU although I don't see how can there be an incompatibility. Also, I have a 685 watt PSU. I will try to check the logs but I already told you that it boots so most likely I won't find anything useful.

Well, I don't know what to tell you then.  How do you know it's booting completely with just the 1070 if Windows doesn't detect it at all in the device manager when you pair it with the 1030?  You have a system that won't boot and just assume the log file won't show you anything useful?  Good luck  

Ryzen 2600 - Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 - Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB - Corsair Force MP500 NVMe PCIe M.2 240GB - 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB - 

AsRock B450 PRO4 - Deepcool Earlkase Case -  Seasonic Foucus+ 650

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Reznik said:

Well, I don't know what to tell you then.  How do you know it's booting completely with just the 1070 if Windows doesn't detect it at all in the device manager when you pair it with the 1030?  You have a system that won't boot and just assume the log file won't show you anything useful?  Good luck  

I checked the event log and it's fine. There is only warning about the case being removed. I also figured out that the pc boots to windows without a video card. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×