Shortcut virus

Hi all,

My teammate recently found out that her PC File(on local drive) is missing constantly and it turns to a internet explorer shortcut.

Yes, antivirus is on her PC (trent micro), i had try to help her run a full scan but did not found out any threat.
had try to look for hidden file too but no luck.

any other antivirus/tools should i consider?

malwarebytes

avast

bitdefender

hell even windows defender should catch some things

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

57 minutes ago, thenubfeeder said:

Hi all,

My teammate recently found out that her PC File(on local drive) is missing constantly and it turns to a internet explorer shortcut.

Yes, antivirus is on her PC (trent micro), i had try to help her run a full scan but did not found out any threat.

While I havent had an anti-virus on my computer for a while. I swear by Malewarebytes. I have heard of more common ones like AVG and Norton installing viruses to force you to pay for their software to delete what they caused. Once again thats just what I heard. But I SWEAR by Malewarebytes

idk tbh

4 hours ago, thenubfeeder said:

Hi all,

Run AdwCleaner. May help faster.

This sounds like a known issue and is most likely not a virus, which is why you can't find it with a virus checker. 

The problem is that a program has been installed that has somehow corrupted, or changed the association of, the IconCache.db file and/or the .lnk association in windows. 

Try and remove the following from windows registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\

That will reset the .lnk association (restart your machine when it's been deleted).

If that doesn't work try and remove the IconCache.db file from your machine, it's in your local appdata folder. (search google on how to delete it if you get stuck)

Hope that helps. 

Hi all, thanks for the kind reply!

here’s an example of the shortcut thing.

meanwhile trying on flappyboobs solution.

738426C5-9294-4814-A1B6-E51AEEAFA298.thumb.png.252d2a3d9dd4a2a724c53d7a1ca3aeb6.png68B187B0-E3E4-409B-B973-EBBDC53E0523.thumb.png.6e143b0b69c9fe2e845cb9af2cf9fa96.png