Upgrading RAID 0 Drives

amardilo

How do I swap out SSDs in RAID 0 for larger drives?

I have 2 480GB SSDs on my PC in RAID 0 (setup through my motherboard BIOS). It's not my main boot drive (that is a M.2 drive) and it's mainly used for apps, games and data storage. I've been running low on room for a while and now have 2 new 1TB SSDs (that I would like to combine into my new RAID 0 setup to replace the 480GB drives).

How would I go about switching the drives out and keeping all my data (I have made a clone of the drive to an old HDD using Acronis True Image 2018 and I've backed up my important files to a portable HDD)? Is it possible or do I need to do a different type of back up?

the easiest way is probably to put in the new drives and configure them as raid 0 then copy all the data, remove the old drives and assign the same drive letter to the new ones to make all shortcuts work again.

1 minute ago, Pixel5 said:

the easiest way is probably to put in the new drives and configure them as raid 0 then copy all the data, remove the old drives and assign the same drive letter to the new ones to make all shortcuts work again.

Thanks. I think I am out of spare SATA ports. Is there a way to do it by removing one set and putting another in?

Motherboard raid is pretty bad at this.

Id probalby suggest switching to storage spaces in the os, it works much better. Id put the 1tb drives in a storage spaces array and then copy the files to the new array. Then you can remove the array in the bios, and add those drives to the storage spaces array.

Might have to look into a different setup.

Is there no way to keep the motherboard RAID setup?

Just now, amardilo said:

How would I go about switching the drives out and keeping all my data (I have made a clone of the drive to an old HDD using Acronis True Image 2018 and I've backed up my important files to a portable HDD)? Is it possible or do I need to do a different type of back up?

Do you have a backup? You should have a backup, then just swap the drives and restore the backups. You want a file backup here.

Or just copy the files to a external hdd.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you have a backup? You should have a backup, then just swap the drives and restore the backups. You want a file backup here.

Or just copy the files to a external hdd.

I have the drive cloned to an external HDD. I can create a new backup onto an external HDD. Would the Acronis True Image back up tool be OK for this (never restored a back up before)?

1 minute ago, amardilo said:

I have the drive cloned to an external HDD. I can create a new backup onto an external HDD.

If you have all the copied files, then just remote the drives, disable raid on the motherboard, and setup storage spaces.