Battlefield 5 question

Cigano

So people with origin access premier can play on the 9th. My question is can I sign up for premier, buy battlefield for 10% off, and then cancel my subscription at the and of the month effectively play battlefield 5 early for $7.50 while keeping my stats and the game itself 

pretty sure its 15 dollars, but basically yea... its a monthly subscription so you have premier for the rest of the month and all stats associated to your origin account carry over into the main game

1 minute ago, Dafriz said:

pretty sure its 15 dollars, but basically yea... its a monthly subscription so you have premier for the rest of the month and all stats associated to your origin account carry over into the main game

okay great, I just meant it would be 7.50 after i save around 7 from the 10% off of the game. Thanks!

On topic: Yes, I believe you could do this. I would imagine you can keep any games you paid discount price for after you cancel your Origin Access.

I was actually just about to post a topic on the Battlefield V early access shenanigans:

- Ea Access Basic subscribers ($5/month) get to play 10-hour trial from November 9

- Ea Access Premier Subscribers ($15/month) get to play full game, November 9

- Pre-orders of the deluxe edition ($80!!) get to play November 15

- "Regular" people who just buy the game ($60) get to play November 20

So let me get this straight: I paid $60, pre-ordered the basic version of the game... so I only get to play 2 weeks after people with Origin Access??? That is so obnoxious. Hell, even if you have pre-ordered the deluxe version of the game for $80, you only get to play 1 week after the origin access subscribers, not same day! Also, it used to be that you got to play maybe 3-5 days early. But this is 2 weeks!! 2 whole weeks! So the game is finished, it is out, they are just delaying release for a big group of people that actually pay $60 for the game! Such bullshit.

My question: Would you subscribe to Origin Access to get early access to games, even if you already bought the game? It seems ridiculous. Basically I am now paying $75 (15 + 60) to play early. Such a ripoff.

Even still, I am tempted to sign up for at least EA Access basic for $5/month, so I can start playing some. Most of my time is spent in Red Dead Redemption 2 anyway, so doubt I will put much more than 10 hours in. But it just sucks having to pay extra to play on the day of release!

To me, this is bad for the game. People who get to "play early", will experience a smaller playerbase, fewer servers. Hell, everyone is busy playing Red Dead Redemption 2 anyway, so this kind of thing could kill the game on arrival if nobody is playing.

What are your thoughts?

4 minutes ago, maartendc said:

On topic: Yes, I believe you could do this. I would imagine you can keep any games you paid discount price for after you cancel your Origin Access.

I was actually just about to post a topic on the Battlefield V early access shenanigans:

- Ea Access Basic subscribers ($5/month) get to play 10-hour trial from November 9

- Ea Access Premier Subscribers ($15/month) get to play full game, November 9

- Pre-orders of the deluxe edition ($80!!) get to play November 15

- "Regular" people who just buy the game ($60) get to play November 20

So let me get this straight: I paid $60, pre-ordered the basic version of the game... so I only get to play 2 weeks after people with Origin Access??? That is so obnoxious. Hell, even if you have pre-ordered the deluxe version of the game for $80, you only get to play 1 week after the origin access subscribers, not same day! Also, it used to be that you got to play maybe 3-5 days early. But this is 2 weeks!! 2 whole weeks! So the game is finished, it is out, they are just delaying release for a big group of people that actually pay $60 for the game! Such bullshit.

My question: Would you subscribe to Origin Access to get early access to games, even if you already bought the game? It seems ridiculous. Basically I am now paying $75 (15 + 60) to play early. Such a ripoff.

Even still, I am tempted to sign up for at least EA Access basic for $5/month, so I can start playing some. Most of my time is spent in Red Dead Redemption 2 anyway, so doubt I will put much more than 10 hours in. But it just sucks having to pay extra to play on the day of release!

To me, this is bad for the game. People who get to "play early", will experience a smaller playerbase, fewer servers. Hell, everyone is busy playing Red Dead Redemption 2 anyway, so this kind of thing could kill the game on arrival if nobody is playing.

What are your thoughts?

I agree that it's absolutely ridiculous. It's scary that now playing the game early means 11 days early I agree 100%. Will some games in the next few years let you pay to play a month or two early? Who knows but obviously its just another way to show stock holders how they're able to make tons of money off of a single product. I personally wouldn't even consider paying to play early for 95% of games but battlefield is something that I play with friends and that I play often by myself. Like I said in my post it basically breaks down to being 7 or 8 bucks with the discount if you plan on cancelling and that to me isn't outrageous. You're right though it makes absolutely no sense that people who pay 80 play 6 days after those who simply have origin premier. Its interesting that they allow this work around though. I definitely wouldn't do it for any other game made by EA atm and I do think it's a slippery slope but I don't think it will harm the player base in any meaningful way. Battlefield is battlefield and if you've played others you have an idea of how this will play. The competitive advantage will only last for a day or two if that for the people that play early IMO. It will be interesting to see the player count and available servers on the 9th though. Do you know if the 9th means midnight or if it'll open sometime Friday morning or afternoon?  

10 minutes ago, Cigano said:

I agree that it's absolutely ridiculous. It's scary that now playing the game early means 11 days early I agree 100%. Will some games in the next few years let you pay to play a month or two early? Who knows but obviously its just another way to show stock holders how they're able to make tons of money off of a single product. I personally wouldn't even consider paying to play early for 95% of games but battlefield is something that I play with friends and that I play often by myself. Like I said in my post it basically breaks down to being 7 or 8 bucks with the discount if you plan on cancelling and that to me isn't outrageous. You're right though it makes absolutely no sense that people who pay 80 play 6 days after those who simply have origin premier. Its interesting that they allow this work around though. I definitely wouldn't do it for any other game made by EA atm and I do think it's a slippery slope but I don't think it will harm the player base in any meaningful way. Battlefield is battlefield and if you've played others you have an idea of how this will play. The competitive advantage will only last for a day or two if that for the people that play early IMO. It will be interesting to see the player count and available servers on the 9th though. Do you know if the 9th means midnight or if it'll open sometime Friday morning or afternoon?  

Yeah I agree.

During the Beta, access was at 10 AM Eastern Time, So I assume the 9th of November release would be 10AM similarly? Not sure.

You bring up a good point about the competitive advantage. Well, the bigger problem is also the competitive advantage in getting weapon unlocks and such. They now have weapon upgrades that are not "sidegrades" but straight up "faster bullets" and "less recoil" with no downsides attached. Versus just different versions of guns in Battlefield 1 that had some benefits, and some drawbacks.

Players who have had 2 weeks to grind out weapon unlocks will have a significant advantage, besides the obvious practice they have had as well. This just sucks and makes the early access thing even worse. Perhaps they did this on purpose to "force" people to want to play early.

Ugh, this all leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Thinking of cancelling my pre-order actually.

2 minutes ago, maartendc said:

Yeah I agree.

During the Beta, access was at 10 AM Eastern Time, So I assume the 9th of November release would be 10AM similarly? Not sure.

You bring up a good point about the competitive advantage. Well, the bigger problem is also the competitive advantage in getting weapon unlocks and such. They now have weapon upgrades that are not "sidegrades" but straight up "faster bullets" and "less recoil" with no downsides attached. Versus just different versions of guns in Battlefield 1 that had some benefits, and some drawbacks.

Players who have had 2 weeks to grind out weapon unlocks will have a significant advantage, besides the obvious practice they have had as well. This just sucks and makes the early access thing even worse. Perhaps they did this on purpose to "force" people to want to play early.

Ugh, this all leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Thinking of cancelling my pre-order actually.

That's so true I didn't even think of that! I forgot weapon upgrades actually mean something, that does change things. But yeah normally I would never buy into something like this but its a unique circumstance and I folded lmao