Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

iPhone backup problem

Monster_King

So, I made a backup before putting my phone to complaint, and they rolled out several updates to iOS in the meantime, but it can´t restore from the backup because it requires a newer version of iOS (but there is a newer). Does somebody know how can I restore from the backup? I have a ton of photos that are only on that backup and nowhere else.

3 minutes ago, Monster_King said:

So, I made a backup before putting my phone to complaint, and they rolled out several updates to iOS in the meantime, but it can´t restore from the backup because it requires a newer version of iOS (but there is a newer). Does somebody know how can I restore from the backup? I have a ton of photos that are only on that backup and nowhere else.

It's the new phone you have that you need to update.

Just set it as a new phone with no back up, update, then restore back up on it

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

1 minute ago, gbergeron said:

It's the new phone you have that you need to update.

Just set it as a new phone with no back up, update, then restore back up on it

But the problem is, that the backup was made on iOS 12.0.1 and it thinks that the OS is old on the phone, not the backup.

Just now, Monster_King said:

But the problem is, that the backup was made on iOS 12.0.1 and it thinks that the OS is old on the phone, not the backup.

It doesn't mind. I do this all day long.

Basically Apple just want to force you to update your new phone to latest version in order to ahve your back up.

Did you try update the new phone to latest version and then restore back up on it ?

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Just now, gbergeron said:

It doesn't mind. I do this all day long.

Basically Apple just want to force you to update your new phone to latest version in order to ahve your back up.

Did you try update the new phone to latest version and then restore back up on it ?

Yes I did, and it shows me this: ´a backup can not be used for this iPhone because the iPhone software is obsolete.´ And it is on iOS 12.0.1. (I´ll attach a screenshot to show it, it is in Czech)

Snímek obrazovky (2).png

Just now, Monster_King said:

Yes I did, and it shows me this: ´a backup can not be used for this iPhone because the iPhone software is obsolete.´ And it is on iOS 12.0.1. (I´ll attach a screenshot to show it, it is in Czech)

Snímek obrazovky (2).png

I don;t know then, 

I get old version iOS phones all the time, I don't update them, I just do a back up with itunes on my computer, than I get a new iphone, update the new iphone to latest iOS, then restore back up on it, even if the old iphone which had the data on it has a iOS version older than the newer phone I just updated.

Not sure what is the problem with yours sorry :( 

1 minute ago, gbergeron said:

I don;t know then, 

I get old version iOS phones all the time, I don't update them, I just do a back up with itunes on my computer, than I get a new iphone, update the new iphone to latest iOS, then restore back up on it, even if the old iphone which had the data on it has a iOS version older than the newer phone I just updated.

Not sure what is the problem with yours sorry :( 

I am now downloading an developer beta of 12.1.1 so it SHOULD work, because it worked with my old 6.

Usually, when you want to restore a backup, the backup has to be on an older or equal version number of iOS when compared to the device you want to restore to. If your backup was made on iOS 11.1 (arbitrary version number), and your device is on 11.2 now, then you should be able to restore. Conversely, if you backed up on iOS 11.2 and your device is on iOS 11.1, it won't work and bring up an error message like the one you're describing.

You can of course try some of the more common steps to try and fix it. I'd definitely restart both the PC and the phone first if you haven't yet. One more thing you could try would be updating iTunes. I've found that outdated versions of iTunes can behave very weirdly when you try to work with recent iOS versions.

If all of that doesn't work for you, I'd personally try to contact Apple about it.