Random Restarts when Computer is under load

FyreStryke

Hi all,

I recently built a new desktop with the following specs and suspect that I may be having Power Supply issues - would like to check if you all have had similar problems as well so that I can isolate and bring my components back for an RMA.

PC Specs:
CPU: Intel Core I7-8700 (not overclocked)
Motherboard: MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Memory: G.Skill RipJawz 2993Mhz 8GB x 2 sticks (16GB)

Graphics Card: Asus Cerberus Geforce 1070TI 8GB
CPU cooler: Coolermaster ML240R RGB

Power Supply Unit: Coolermaster V850W 

Storage (internal) :Crucial MX500 SSD 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB, WD Blue 2TB

I'm doubtful that it is a overheating issue since I've already run GPUz and CPUz and computer temperatures (internally) when restarted are within 30 to 40 degrees Celsius. 

However, this issue only happens when I stress the computer (i.e start running games on it) - before it restarts mid program and boots back into windows.
When it is under normal load i'm not having such issues as well - so I suspect it could be an issue when the GPU draws more power from the PSU.
I sincerely doubt it is a lack of power given that 850W is an overkill for my current setup - but I could be wrong - happy to hear any inputs.

I am thinking of taking out the GPU to run on the onboard graphics to eliminate that it is the GPU that is having the problems.

Any advice/help or comments would definitely be appreciated before I make the trip to my local RMA for the Power Supply Unit.

Thank you!

Seems to me like it might be either the MOBO or the PSU, if you can, get a random PSU to test. Btw, your PSU and cooling are way overdimensioned, this PC won't ever pull even half of that PSU capability. I would rather go with a RM650x. And I don't see the point of spending more on a Z chipset, on an AiO, but not in a K sku? Just to point that out for future purchases.

CPU: i5 10600KFMotherboard: Asus B460M-Plus | Cooling: Gamemmaxx 400 XT w/ Corsair ML120 Elite + 1 ML120 Elite exhaust + 2 ML140 Elite intake

RAM: 2x16GB Netac DDR4 3200MT/s @2666CL13 | GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual +200/+1200MHz/+5%

Storage: 2TB XPG S70 Blade, WD Blue NVMe 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TBPSU: Corsair TX550M

Monitor: 2x Pichau Cepheus Fuse 28" 4k 144Hz HDR | Keyboard: Corsair K70 mk.2 Cherry MX Red

Headphone/headset: Kuba Disco Pro/Gamer + Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro | OS: Windows 11 Home

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB + Ugreen Vertical MouseCase: Corsair Carbide 400C

It could be Hydro related.  I would get a battery pack, just to be on the safe side.

Hey @Vasllo, thanks for the input. I do agree with you that for a non K chipset the Motherboard is way overdimensioned - but I guess I wanted it cause it looked nice - though I agree I could have probably saved the money there. Haha likewise the AIO was because of my fiancé who liked the RGB stuff - I personally looked forward to getting a Hyper 212 as well.

Thanks anyway for the prompt response - I'll try to see if I can use my FSP 650W Modular PSU to try and trouble shoot the system but it'll be quite a handful since the wiring has to be redone which was a real pain to do so in the first place.

Hi @Zmax, thanks for the input - what do you mean Hydro related in this case? Battery pack as in a backup power? Would that be what you are referring to?

Make sure you use @Zmax or @Vasllo to reply

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Hi @fasauceome, :D feel old since I don't actually use all these thingies - thought they only worked on WhatsApp.

Thank you!

I did forget to mention one bit - I did hear some rattling coming from inside the case - and it didn't seem normal since the Rig is less than 2 months old. I checked it multiple times and yesterday the noise did go away.

However, after that incident of noise which incidentally went away (which I suspect came from the PSU) - my CPU started acting up to restart with load.
For games such as Dota2 - it would restart in the midst of intense fights - but for simple games such as hearthstone I've not had such issues.

Would it seem to steer towards the PSU being the culprit in that instance?

12 minutes ago, FyreStryke said:

I did forget to mention one bit - I did hear some rattling coming from inside the case - and it didn't seem normal since the Rig is less than 2 months old. I checked it multiple times and yesterday the noise did go away.

However, after that incident of noise which incidentally went away (which I suspect came from the PSU) - my CPU started acting up to restart with load.
For games such as Dota2 - it would restart in the midst of intense fights - but for simple games such as hearthstone I've not had such issues.

Worth testing with a stress test like Aida64 and by removing things like graphics card to test power load.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

25 minutes ago, FyreStryke said:

I would in fact blame the PSU, you should test with another one, no need to put in the case of anything, just leave it out of the case and connect the cables if your only intent is to test, but given the new PSU might be defective and your "old" one seems perfectly fine on paper, you might as well just keep using it, in which case you'll want to install and cable manage it. As @fasauceome said, it's worth trying stuff like that before you go through the hassle of swapping PSUs, just to make sure it's not something else, but I would say the chances are high it's the PSU. Since your PC is new, I can't imagine the sound coming from anywhere but the PSU, since it also now brand new, so couldn't be the WC pump.

CPU: i5 10600KFMotherboard: Asus B460M-Plus | Cooling: Gamemmaxx 400 XT w/ Corsair ML120 Elite + 1 ML120 Elite exhaust + 2 ML140 Elite intake

RAM: 2x16GB Netac DDR4 3200MT/s @2666CL13 | GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual +200/+1200MHz/+5%

Storage: 2TB XPG S70 Blade, WD Blue NVMe 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TBPSU: Corsair TX550M

Monitor: 2x Pichau Cepheus Fuse 28" 4k 144Hz HDR | Keyboard: Corsair K70 mk.2 Cherry MX Red

Headphone/headset: Kuba Disco Pro/Gamer + Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro | OS: Windows 11 Home

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB + Ugreen Vertical MouseCase: Corsair Carbide 400C

6 hours ago, FyreStryke said:

Hi @Zmax, thanks for the input - what do you mean Hydro related in this case? Battery pack as in a backup power? Would that be what you are referring to?

Yes . Voltage drop could be a problem if under max load.  Here it's -> Hydro Quebec <-- I lost 2 power supplies because of spikes and voltage drop in Hydro lines.

A UPS or Battery Backup pack may help

But this is just a suggestion, It may not do anything