Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

An't Initalize Disk

tp95112
 Share

I cant use my ssd. Windows is giving me this error when I try to initialize it. Tried both MBR and GPT. This happened after I had errors with Storage Spaceimage.png.2fc543af7265be5cd823c230d756ee61.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Did you use storage spaces at all?

 

Try diskpart clean.

I was using storage space to recreate my drive pool. After a bunch of windows restarts update and shit. It wasnt showing in storage space so I went disk management to double check. Think it corrupted my pool. What is the commands for clean?

>Diskpart

>Select disk

>clean

?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tp95112 said:

I was using storage space to recreate my drive pool. After a bunch of windows restarts update and shit. Think it corrupted my pool. What is the commands for clean?

>Diskpart

>Select disk

>clean

?

yep thats the command

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

yep thats the command

Tried it and still nothing

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, this isn't a recommended solution or anything but it works for me 99% of the time, so it's worth trying. First, just download basically any Linux ISO file (I recommend Ubuntu). Then, make a bootable USB with Rufus, boot off it, and get to the install screen. When you get to the part where you partition the drives to install Linux, format the drive you're having issues with as NTFS. Apply changes, reboot, and see if Windows can initialize it. If that doesn't work, try another SATA port, or another computer.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 6x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: 512GB Samsung 850 Pro and 1TB WD Blue PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and MEE M6 Pro

 

"If you don't measure things, it's not engineering; it's art." - Jack Ganssle

 

🏳️‍🌈

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Alright, this isn't a recommended solution or anything but it works for me 99% of the time, so it's worth trying. First, just download basically any Linux ISO file (I recommend Ubuntu). Then, make a bootable USB with Rufus, boot off it, and get to the install screen. When you get to the part where you partition the drives to install Linux, format the drive you're having issues with as NTFS. Apply changes, reboot, and see if Windows can initialize it. If that doesn't work, try another SATA port, or another computer.

Im going to try that, googling around and finding stuff about corrupt mbr. Is that fixable?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, tp95112 said:

Im going to try that, googling around and finding stuff about corrupt mbr. Is that fixable?

No clue, but there's probably software to do it. Try my method; if that doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you. Is the drive still under warranty? Might not be worth all this work.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 6x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: 512GB Samsung 850 Pro and 1TB WD Blue PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and MEE M6 Pro

 

"If you don't measure things, it's not engineering; it's art." - Jack Ganssle

 

🏳️‍🌈

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

No clue, but there's probably software to do it. Try my method; if that doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you. Is the drive still under warranty? Might not be worth all this work.

I actually dont remember when I got the drive. Mostlikely within the last 3 years. It was just a spare drive I used for game storage in raid 0. But I am quite annoyed that it died because of storage space.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

Im going to try that, googling around and finding stuff about corrupt mbr. Is that fixable?

Try using a program to do a secure earse or a zero on the drive then reboot. Also check the smart status with a program like crystal disk info.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Try using a program to do a secure earse or a zero on the drive then reboot. Also check the smart status with a program like crystal disk info.

It shows

image.png.2927bc68abdae0eeae807e7695af083d.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, LunaP0n3 said:

Try third party disk management software.

Can you be more specific?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

Can you be more specific?

If the built in Windows disk management won't touch that drive, I'd use third part disk management software. I use Minitool Partition Wizard whenever I need to do work with my partitions. You can use it to reformat the drive and get it back to a usable state.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Alright, this isn't a recommended solution or anything but it works for me 99% of the time, so it's worth trying. First, just download basically any Linux ISO file (I recommend Ubuntu). Then, make a bootable USB with Rufus, boot off it, and get to the install screen. When you get to the part where you partition the drives to install Linux, format the drive you're having issues with as NTFS. Apply changes, reboot, and see if Windows can initialize it. If that doesn't work, try another SATA port, or another computer.

Guessing use fat32 instead?

15412082386354907504571800903267.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, LunaP0n3 said:

If the built in Windows disk management won't touch that drive, I'd use third part disk management software. I use Minitool Partition Wizard whenever I need to do work with my partitions. You can use it to reformat the drive and get it back to a usable state.

How do I format with it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Select the drive (Should show up as ~111GB), then click here. Follow the prompts then click "Apply"

formatminitool.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure to verify that you've selected the correct drive before hitting apply though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, LunaP0n3 said:

Select the drive (Should show up as ~111GB), then click here. Follow the prompts then click "Apply"

 

 

Dont have those options

image.thumb.png.1b3bcaa9e18f6c50ece646c254981f71.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, LunaP0n3 said:

Is Menu Bar/Partition/Wipe Disk available?

No

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tp95112 said:

I already did clean earlier, what does clean all do?

Clean all writes zeros over the entire disk, so it might help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, LunaP0n3 said:

Clean all writes zeros over the entire disk, so it might help.

How do I know if its performing something or it failed? After I enter clean all it lets me use commands again like normal

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×