Best entry level camera?

filipcro

Primarily for taking pictures but HD video capability would also be a plus, it has to have:

-rechargeable battery

-timer

-small and compact

-better quality pictures than on most smartphones

-cost around $70 US

I actually can't find any camera from Samsung, Canon or Fuji that has a rechargeable battery below $80, so is this a thing for all cameras?

Buying disposable batteries is of course unacceptable, I'm quite surprised they even put such batteries in anything.

Aren't there secondary batteries available that are rechargable, have the same physical dimensions (AKA same size), and operate in same voltages and current?

If the camera would use for example 2 AA batteries, there are rechargable batteries that look like them and can be used in everything where a normal disposable AA batteries would. Of course those rechargable batteries cost more (20 - 40€ is a normal price for 4 AA sized batteries with a charger here where I live, not sure about US), so would the extra price be worth it for a ~70$ point and shoot?

If you can't stretch your budget beyond 70$, I highly suggest either saving more or looking for used point and shoots.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Aren't there secondary batteries available that are rechargable, have the same physical dimensions (AKA same size), and operate in same voltages and current?

If the camera would use for example 2 AA batteries, there are rechargable batteries that look like them and can be used in everything where a normal disposable AA batteries would. Of course those rechargable batteries cost more (20 - 40€ is a normal price for 4 AA sized batteries with a charger here where I live, not sure about US), so would the extra price be worth it for a ~70$ point and shoot?

If you can't stretch your budget beyond 70$, I highly suggest either saving more or looking for used point and shoots.

yeah! it isn't a bad option to have standard AA batteries for your camera, just buy some enloop's and if you run out of batteries you cna always find standard ones everywhere. As for your budget 70 $. I believe that it's better to stick with your smartphone camera if you have a decent phone.

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

yeah! it isn't a bad option to have standard AA batteries for your camera, just buy some enloop's and if you run out of batteries you cna always find standard ones everywhere. As for your budget 70 $. I believe that it's better to stick with your smartphone camera if you have a decent phone.

Granted he has a decent camera in his phone,  if one at all.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Upon doing further research I think SAMSUNG EC-PL20 is the way to go, pictures look excellent, even the HD video quality is great and it's only slightly more expensive, it has stabilization and every other feature you would need.

The only thing lacking is that it has USB 2.0 instead of USB 3.0, if anyone knows of a camera that has all the features this one has but with USB 3.0 it would be perfect.

Granted he has a decent camera in his phone,  if one at all.

I stand corrected. 

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

Upon doing further research I think SAMSUNG EC-PL20 is the way to go, pictures look excellent, even the HD video quality is great and it's only slightly more expensive, it has stabilization and every other feature you would need.

The only thing lacking is that it has USB 2.0 instead of USB 3.0, if anyone knows of a camera that has all the features this one has but with USB 3.0 it would be perfect.

You don't really need USB 3.0, man. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

You don't really need USB 3.0, man. 

You don't make any sense.

I believe that it's better to stick with your smartphone camera if you have a decent phone.

I never had a smartphone or any kind of mobile phone because I never needed it. I don't like to be bothered by people.

You don't make any sense.

Will you be making 100 and more photos daily and be dependent on that speed for uploading to not take up too much of your time? Unlikely.

USB 2.0 is GOOD ENOUGH. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

I never had a smartphone or any kind of mobile phone because I never needed it. I don't like to be bothered by people.

But you intend to bother them with this  point and shoot ? Just kidding, USB 3.0 would be nice but I wouldn't expect that on a such a low level camera.  Btw I'm guessing by your nick that you are from Croatia, so if you need a mobile phone I think I still have one old Nokia 3310 laying around the house.  ;)

on a such a low level camera.

Why do people use such phrases when 99% of people can't tell the difference in image quality between this camera and a $2000 camera?

Not to mention that 5 years ago the technology in this camera was considered "professional", it is completely nonsensical to use such phrases as "point and shoot" or "low level" to lessen its value.

Why do people use such phrases when 99% of people can't tell the difference in image quality between this camera and a $2000 camera?

Not to mention that 5 years ago the technology in this camera was considered "professional", it is completely nonsensical to use such phrases as "point and shoot" or "low level" to lessen its value.

Now you are just making no sense. Honestly technology in this camera was never professional, not now, not 5 years ago- because professional users couldn't use it to get what they want out of their photos.I can back it up with examples but I don't see the necessity for it. The build quality and the amount possibilities make it low level as compared to high end stuff. Also "point and shoot" is a term that is used to describe the form factor itself as opposed for example a DSLR . Same goes with the USB 3.0  analogy, it's more expensive to make  and implement so it won't be found on a low-level product. So no one is trying to lessen the value of this product just put it in the right place. If you want a good comparison to this I would say that you can compare this to a low end GPU vs higher end GPU (Linus has a video about it ) With cameras the reasoning is very similar. So you will have a camera, it will shoot pictures, it will take some form of video, but will you take good photos in low light , get nice bokeh or even sharp and accurate focus, not to mention the shutter lag of these type of cameras-you won't. Because  the manufacturer would have to spend a lot more money to implement this and it wouldn't be profitable at this price. Above, I was joking ,as I said, about you pointing and shooting, if you don't understand or are somehow offended by my type of humor I apologize.  I hope my explanation helps, as getting help and advice is the point of this forum, unless you consider me to be stupid or unless you're just being a dick.