In search of a true wireless computing+media solution for homes -> with display panels everywhere in the house but with only one central computing station hidden away from the sights !!

Idea is to have:

1. Display panels receiving video input through wireless HDMI

2. No processing capability in display panels apart from input capture and data transfer. Maybe wifi repeaters or docking stations can relieve the data transfer pain.

3. Central computing workstation hidden in the basement, or behind the TV panel -> which will eliminate any space restrictions.

4. All the electronic and computer devices integrated inside this Central system, like WIFI router, amplifier, main power PCB, electrical routing, personal cloud storage, etc.

This system will initially eliminate the need for buying laptop, desktop, tablet, TV and other smart devices for home. Concept can be enhanced so that the smartphones take use of inhouse cloud processing power and datastorage without the need of subscription of any external service.

Any ideas? is any organization making serious efforts in this direction? Can Linus try something of this sort?

I would say keep dreaming because you still need to run power to these devices as POE in most case won't have enough power to drive a decent size display.

Magical Pineapples

Just now, EMC said:

I would say keep dreaming because you still need to run power to these devices as POE in most case won't have enough power to drive a decent size display.

I couldn't agree more. I used to think that stripping away CPU, GPU, RAM, and other chips from the display panels would save ample amount of energy.

Wireless data transmission and that too most probably of 4K content would mean a lot of power drain. 

But here is the thing. If the walls/roofs/floors of our homes are equipped with low power wireless transmission like that of zigbee or wibree, and the central workstation delivers data to the walls through wired lines, then maybe, just maybe our problem is solved.

Right?

23 minutes ago, brob said:

One could probably use powerline ethernet.

hmm that would probably solve the wall fitting requirement of ethernet cables.

ohhhh....it just struck me. If power is the main concern regarding wifi transmission in display panels, why not decouple Wifi stuff from panels, why not do this ->

So a small device of the size of an SSD, which we can keep in pocket or have it lying on the coffee table, can be assigned the responsibility of communicating with wifi terminnals of the house at full speed (5Gz). It will have its own dedicated battery, and will be rechargeable through wireless charging docks where it will lie in its idle time.

Then, whenever we would need to use a display panel, we would just stick this SSD sized wifi transponder to the back of our panel (possibly magnetically like the mac book charger pin), and it would communicate with our panel through a physical protocol instead of wireless protocol.

I actually went through the ANT, ANT+, ZigBee, Wibree, NFC, IrDA and other low power wireless protocols and found that power IS the deciding factor when it comes to bandwidth. All of the low power wireless protocols transmit in the range of 10 Kbps - 100 Mbps, and not more than that. So having high power wifi module is necessary.

If one is using powerline ethernet, why be concerned with WiFi?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

7 hours ago, brob said:

If one is using powerline ethernet, why be concerned with WiFi?

Basically to make everything wireless.