I lose ethernet connection when I stream with OBS-NDI

Batuhan Apatay

Hello,
Whenever I try to
streamwithndi my streaming pc lost its connection. Not for just obs. The entire pc loses the connection and reconnects back in a few seconds after I stop streaming. Sometimes it needs a restart to reconnect (it doesn’t ask or anything I just restart).
Sometimes it happens immediately sometimes it takes up to 5 mins. I don’t know how can I fix the issue. I’ve tried different cables. Results are the same. I’ve been pinging google for like 15 mins and no disconnects so far but whenever I start to stream with obs boom it goes dark.
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjhtn7Kvr8

• Recording seems fine. I don't lose connection even though I get the same amount of data from ethernet. The only difference is I'm sending data out with 4mbps.

Have you tried pinging your router to see if its just the Internet that goes down or the connection to the router itself?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2018 at 7:03 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Have you tried pinging your router to see if its just the Internet that goes down or the connection to the router itself?

Sorry for the late reply. I thought my email notifications were enabled but it clearly wasn't.

How long should I ping to my router for? Has been 2 mins and the connection stays. I still only lose the connection while I'm trying to stream with OBS-NDI.

+++

What really surprises me that nothing happens until I hit start streaming button. I can stream between computers as long as I want. 

Over 200Mbps without a problem until I hit that button..

Screenshot.thumb.png.4bd78700b81c747076da15317b4a8c4d.png

Bro, I am facing the similar issue over 2 months now. Tried Changing the Ethernet cable, Changed the PCIE Ethernet port and along with tried to resetting the Windows... but the didn't fix the issue.. Need urgent help

A little bit more information would be very helpful here. What i'm wondering is: What CPU do you have? What is your internet speed (Externally)? What router do you have? Are other devices connected at the same time? If so, what are they mostly doing?

8 hours ago, AbsoluteFool said:

A little bit more information would be very helpful here. What i'm wondering is: What CPU do you have? What is your internet speed (Externally)? What router do you have? Are other devices connected at the same time? If so, what are they mostly doing?

I7 4700HQ that notebook has. 

50 down 5 up. 

I have 1 modem/router + access point. Ap is limited to 15/1 speed. And 2 pcs. Pretty much everything is connected to ap to prevent ping issues. Router is netmaster CBW-383ZN. 

I tried to stream fortnite directly from the notebook and it kinda acted weird. If I remember correctly it was sending data out like 2000-2500 bitrate. When it supposed to be doing like 3800-4000. 

19 hours ago, RazerBlake said:

Bro, I am facing the similar issue over 2 months now. Tried Changing the Ethernet cable, Changed the PCIE Ethernet port and along with tried to resetting the Windows... but the didn't fix the issue.. Need urgent help

I can’t even think. Such a weird problem...

12 minutes ago, Batuhan Apatay said:

50 down 5 up. 

I have 1 modem/router + access point. Ap is limited to 15/1 speed. And 2 pcs. Pretty much everything is connected to ap to prevent ping issues. Router is netmaster CBW-383ZN. 

I tried to stream fortnite directly from the notebook and it kinda acted weird. If I remember correctly it was sending data out like 2000-2500 bitrate. When it supposed to be doing like 3800-4000. 

You can't send 3800-4000 outstream when yor connection is 5Mbps up. There is way too many factors that are in play here.

Everything that recives data also send some data back out. If you also have serval devices on your network these will pull data. You also have to think about the fact that your upload speed is not always staying at 5Mbps, this can jump up and down during the day. So you are simply using more internet than you have available.

Go download WinMTR and run a test to google.com then start streaming with OBS until the problem starts up and then keep streaming for another few minutes and then stop the test, then stop OBS and post the results here to see where the traffic is being dropped.

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, AbsoluteFool said:

You can't send 3800-4000 outstream when yor connection is 5Mbps up.

OMG I completely missed that. LoL, problem solved. :D

-KuJoe

23 minutes ago, Batuhan Apatay said:

50 down 5 up. 

Also just as a hint.. The AP doesen't solve ping issues, if anything it'll add more because the connection must now go throught two devices instead of one ;)

15 hours ago, AbsoluteFool said:

For My side, I am using a

DELL XPS 8900 With 6th Gen Intel  Core i7 6700

GPU 1060 3GB,

32GB RAM, 

Avermedia Capture card, 

TP-Link AC1200

Internet Connection 

500 Mbps Download /100 Mbps Upload

ISP: UNIFI Malaysia.

Connected Device: All devices are running on Cat 6 Cable.

PS4 (Main Gaming Device)

PC (for Streaming)

Another Router by D-link ( for rest of the house)

I stream on 6000 Bitrate++, 1280 60p. the Stream Drops Exactly 15 min Mark. I tried everything in my power and knowledge to solve it.

Please Help

7 hours ago, RazerBlake said:

For My side, I am using a

DELL XPS 8900 With 6th Gen Intel  Core i7 6700

GPU 1060 3GB,

32GB RAM, 

Avermedia Capture card, 

TP-Link AC1200

Internet Connection 

500 Mbps Download /100 Mbps Upload

ISP: UNIFI Malaysia.

Connected Device: All devices are running on Cat 6 Cable.

PS4 (Main Gaming Device)

PC (for Streaming)

Another Router by D-link ( for rest of the house)

I stream on 6000 Bitrate++, 1280 60p. the Stream Drops Exactly 15 min Mark. I tried everything in my power and knowledge to solve it.

Please Help

You say you have two routers, the fist thing you should check is if both routers can cause IP problems e.g two devices can get same IP. If it can this is a big problem. Also you should try to upscale your stream to 1080p 30/60 fps instead of streaming at 1280 with 6000 bitrate.

16 hours ago, AbsoluteFool said:

Also just as a hint.. The AP doesen't solve ping issues, if anything it'll add more because the connection must now go throught two devices instead of one ;)

You misunderstood I guess. AP for phones etc. Gaming PCs are connected to the main router.

16 hours ago, KuJoe said:

Go download WinMTR and run a test to google.com then start streaming with OBS until the problem starts up and then keep streaming for another few minutes and then stop the test, then stop OBS and post the results here to see where the traffic is being dropped.

I will and add results soon.

16 hours ago, AbsoluteFool said:

You can't send 3800-4000 outstream when yor connection is 5Mbps up. There is way too many factors that are in play here.

Everything that recives data also send some data back out. If you also have serval devices on your network these will pull data. You also have to think about the fact that your upload speed is not always staying at 5Mbps, this can jump up and down during the day. So you are simply using more internet than you have available.

I can. I'm doing with that rate for about a year. I just did today with 4000 rate on my main PC without any problem. Only notebook loses its connection when I hit start streaming button. I mean if connection suffers, you can have ping/delay/slow but you won't lose it entirely for 1 single device.

4 minutes ago, Batuhan Apatay said:

I will and add results soon.

I can. I'm doing with that rate for about a year. I just did today with 4000 rate on my main PC without any problem. Only notebook loses its connection when I hit start streaming button.

So your notebook is on wireless?

Just now, AbsoluteFool said:

So your notebook is on wireless?

No, both PCs are connected with Cat6 cable on gigabit ports.

Just now, Batuhan Apatay said:

No, both PCs are connected with Cat6 cable on gigabit ports.

Then you are back to the factor of actuall download speed. If you have more active devices on your network you simply use more upload speed than you have.

16 hours ago, KuJoe said:

What does this software do? Seems like tracert to me. 

IT has been 7 mins and notebook is still connected. Weird. It usually takes max 3 mins to disconnect.

4 minutes ago, AbsoluteFool said:

Then you are back to the factor of actuall download speed. If you have more active devices on your network you simply use more upload speed than you have.

The issue is not related to my external speed. Something is wrong with internals. They have enough bandwidth to work with. I've checked everything. Since every phone is connected to AP I disconnected it and nothing was downloading nor uploading while tests. Surprisingly my current test is still going. HAs been 10 mins. No disconnection. 

1 minute ago, Batuhan Apatay said:

The issue is not related to my external speed. Something is wrong with internals. They have enough bandwidth to work with. I've checked everything. Since every phone is connected to AP I disconnected it and nothing was downloading nor uploading while tests. Surprisingly my current test still going. HAs been 10 mins. No disconnection. 

The two factors that determen if you connect or disconect while external connection is fine and everything else work is 1. You're using to much. 2. You have a misconfiguration somewhere.

Just now, AbsoluteFool said:

The two factors that determen if you connect or disconect while external connection is fine and everything else work is 1. You're using to much. 2. You have a misconfiguration somewhere.

I did reset windows network settings in case of change. I uninstalled OBS and did setup everything from scratch. I doN't know what else I can do. Notebook loses network connection entirely instead of just internet. Has been 15 mins still going for this time. So weird. I've literally changed nothing since last time I had the problem. 

1 minute ago, Batuhan Apatay said:

I did reset windows network settings in case of change. I uninstalled OBS and did setup everything from scratch. I doN't know what else I can do. Notebook loses network connection entirely instead of just internet. Has been 15 mins still going for this time. So weird. I've literally changed nothing since last time I had the problem. 

And this once again, is a sign that the external speeds matters. As i said earlier with every connection your ISP will have variations on the speed delivered. Sometimes it can work other times wont. Let's make an example. I have two PCs. One i play a game on, and one i stream with. I have 5Mbps upload speed. If i then stream (upload) at 4Mbps while my ISP have variations in the speed (Because they will always have) my upload speed could have dropped to 3Mbps. Leading to all my devices getting kicked off the entire network. Only way to get connection back is to stop the tasks that crave this network usage, unless the programs doing it stops working.

7 minutes ago, AbsoluteFool said:

And this once again, is a sign that the external speeds matters. As i said earlier with every connection your ISP will have variations on the speed delivered. Sometimes it can work other times wont. Let's make an example. I have two PCs. One i play a game on, and one i stream with. I have 5Mbps upload speed. If i then stream (upload) at 4Mbps while my ISP have variations in the speed (Because they will always have) my upload speed could have dropped to 3Mbps. Leading to all my devices getting kicked off the entire network. Only way to get connection back is to stop the tasks that crave this network usage, unless the programs doing it stops working.

If that would be the issue I wouldn't have streamed for months with the same exact setup. +++ I wouldn't have streamed with my desktop as well. I did stream from my desktop today. For over 2 hours. Nothing happened. 

17 minutes ago, Batuhan Apatay said:

If that would be the issue I wouldn't have streamed for months with the same exact setup. +++ I wouldn't have streamed with my desktop as well. I did stream from my desktop today. For over 2 hours. Nothing happened. 

Actually that's wrong. But if you think so, i'm sure someone else have a "solution" for you.