Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GPU causing weird flashing colors

NorthLake
 Share

So I've been getting some weird flashing colors on any video content/game that uses my GPU (tested this by turning of hardware acceleration in Chrome). Is this a common issue? And can it be fixed without buying a new GPU?

 

Here is a screen capture of the problem: youtu.be/h9wGmQYMnGY

PC specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NorthLake/saved/c2qVYJ

 

P.S. Don't worry about the stutter, I just booted my pc, and just started Chrome (the amount of tabs should make that clear)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NorthLake said:

So I've been getting some weird flashing colors on any video content/game that uses my GPU (tested this by turning of hardware acceleration in Chrome). Is this a common issue? And can it be fixed without buying a new GPU?

 

Here is a screen capture of the problem: youtu.be/h9wGmQYMnGY

Cant see youtube at work

 

Is the monitor cable plugged in all the way?  If so this sounds like an artifacting GPU - if it is (Id wait for others smarter than I to agree) - you can try the Bake It method.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 3: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler in push/pull, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  Lenovo 27" 1080p 60hz placeholder monitor, generic mouse, generic keyboard.  Still a work in progress

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Viotek GN24C 24" 1080p 144hz curved and Hannspree HF207 as 2nd monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tristerin said:

Cant see youtube at work

 

Is the monitor cable plugged in all the way?  If so this sounds like an artifacting GPU - if it is (Id wait for others smarter than I to agree) - you can try the Bake It method.

It's more like certain colors (mainly blue and red) lag behind the rest of the movement. And if that is classified as GPU artifacting, than I'm still actually very scared of putting my GPU in an oven...

Btw, I can't attach the video, because it's too big. I'll wait for someone else to reply.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, NorthLake said:

It's more like certain colors (mainly blue and red) lag behind the rest of the movement. And if that is classified as GPU artifacting, than I'm still actually very scared of putting my GPU in an oven...

Btw, I can't attach the video, because it's too big. I'll wait for someone else to reply.

In the meantime please edit your top post with specs of your PC so those questions are answered up front :)

 

Got a second monitor to test the GPU on, or another PC?

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 3: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler in push/pull, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  Lenovo 27" 1080p 60hz placeholder monitor, generic mouse, generic keyboard.  Still a work in progress

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Viotek GN24C 24" 1080p 144hz curved and Hannspree HF207 as 2nd monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

In the meantime please edit your top post with specs of your PC so those questions are answered up front :)

 

Got a second monitor to test the GPU on, or another PC?

I've watched the screen capture I made on my phone, and I could see the same issue. This confirms that the problem is in the video card itself, right? Or is there something else you're trying to figure out?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NorthLake said:

I've watched the screen capture I made on my phone, and I could see the same issue. This confirms that the problem is in the video card itself, right? Or is there something else you're trying to figure out?

No, I am wanting to see if you connect a different monitor to it, that you get the same problems, to quickly eliminate its your monitor.  Then I want to see if you can put the GPU in another machine completely and see if it gives you the same issues (in a different rig) - that would tell me at that point that indeed it is 100% your GPU.  Since I have no way of seeing it in RL I have to go about these directions lol

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 3: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler in push/pull, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  Lenovo 27" 1080p 60hz placeholder monitor, generic mouse, generic keyboard.  Still a work in progress

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Viotek GN24C 24" 1080p 144hz curved and Hannspree HF207 as 2nd monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

No, I am wanting to see if you connect a different monitor to it, that you get the same problems, to quickly eliminate its your monitor.  Then I want to see if you can put the GPU in another machine completely and see if it gives you the same issues (in a different rig) - that would tell me at that point that indeed it is 100% your GPU.  Since I have no way of seeing it in RL I have to go about these directions lol

Unfortunately the GPU is not compatible with the other pc's I've got at home, so that's not possible. I don't think you understood me, though.

I used Radeon ReLive to capture my screen (so not with a camera aimed at my monitor). I still see the flashing colors when playing back that video on my phone. That means it can't be my monitor, right?

Btw, I uploaded the video to Imgur: imgur.com/a/0okNCFh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, NorthLake said:

Unfortunately the GPU is not compatible with the other pc's I've got at home, so that's not possible. I don't think you understood me, though.

I used Radeon ReLive to capture my screen (so not with a camera aimed at my monitor). I still see the flashing colors when playing back that video on my phone. That means it can't be my monitor, right?

Btw, I uploaded the video to Imgur: imgur.com/a/0okNCFh

If your monitor is displaying errors, and you capture the image on your monitor its going to display what the monitor is displaying on the video capture - so no I don't really understand (are you thinking maybe just the LEDs are going bad?  Im talking about something on the PCB of the monitor going bad causing this) - Im not saying it IS your monitor Im just trying to quickly and easily rule it out. 

 

So for now, lets forget that it may or may not be the monitor.  Since you do not have an optional PC to put the card in my next question is - do you have a backup GPU or an iGPU on your PC to see if its any hardware causing this on the PC or just the GPU?

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 3: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler in push/pull, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  Lenovo 27" 1080p 60hz placeholder monitor, generic mouse, generic keyboard.  Still a work in progress

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Viotek GN24C 24" 1080p 144hz curved and Hannspree HF207 as 2nd monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/30/2018 at 11:34 PM, Tristerin said:

If your monitor is displaying errors, and you capture the image on your monitor its going to display what the monitor is displaying on the video capture - so no I don't really understand (are you thinking maybe just the LEDs are going bad?  Im talking about something on the PCB of the monitor going bad causing this) - Im not saying it IS your monitor Im just trying to quickly and easily rule it out. 

 

So for now, lets forget that it may or may not be the monitor.  Since you do not have an optional PC to put the card in my next question is - do you have a backup GPU or an iGPU on your PC to see if its any hardware causing this on the PC or just the GPU?

Sorry for the l long wait.

I've tested the same monitor and cable on a laptop, and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong. I don't have an iGPU, so that's not an option...

It is a rather old GPU, so I'm guessing it's just seen its days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×